Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time in back seat. Not good.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the first time in 8 months of ownership I had my wife drive the X and sat in the second row of our 6 seater. I have to say its fine for kids but for a big guy like me it was very cramped. I am 6'1 and 210 lbs and my shoulder was smashed into the FWD door with no where to go. In other words the seats are placed too far outboard. They could have narrowed that center gap and brought the second row seats in towards the center about 2 inches. Or better yet, how about using the technology of a $35k Honda Pilot and have the second row seats adjustable inwards as well as forward and back. I can see now where a 5 or 7 seater would be better.

So for the first time in 8 months of ownership I had my wife drive the X and sat in the second row of our 6 seater. I have to say its fine for kids but for a big guy like me it was very cramped. I am 6'1 and 210 lbs and my shoulder was smashed into the FWD door with no where to go. In other words the seats are placed too far outboard. They could have narrowed that center gap and brought the second row seats in towards the center about 2 inches. Or better yet, how about using the technology of a $35k Honda Pilot and have the second row seats adjustable inwards as well as forward and back. I can see now where a 5 or 7 seater would be better.

Or a wider seat, with the center further from the door?

Reactions: Hitman007
Weird that. It's as if they simply took a 7-seater and removed one seat.

If they did move both the 2nd row seats further inbound to give it more all-around space, then the whole chassis would have to be re-designed and changed and they would require two different chassis builds. Therefore, I don't see Tesla ever rectifying that oddity.

However, having a different seat for the 6-seater may be more likely and an option some day.

I am not sure moving the position of the seats would affect the whole chassis. But I think the best idea would be to have larger seats or have them able to adjust both inboard and outboard as well as front to back like te Honda.
Well, those sculptural pillars would have to remain in the same position. Right now, they appear to be centered (balanced) directly underneath the seat. Maybe they could design a solution where the seat is off-center, but typically means a more challenging design and added weight.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger