Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First track day in the books...questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the bleeders.
There is a small amount of fluid left inside that will weep out.
Don't go cranking them down. Just roll up a thread of paper towel and stick it into the bleeder.
You will be surprised how wet the paper becomes.

Following up on this after a few days. I cleaned up the calipers really well and blew out the bleeder valves with compressed air, no more seepage since then, so I think you were spot on for this one. Brake pedal is slowly getting firmer as the week goes on, I think the pads are working on bedding into the rotors again after I sanded the glazing off.

Got my 2 PS4S tires replaced this morning, so that's all set. I'll be working on getting a set of track tires and wheels before the next session in the fall...gotta do some research and find some 18's that will work on the P3D, and probably going to go with some RE71R or similar tires. Not sure yet if I want to stick with the stock 235 width or go wider. I didn't feel like I was out-driving the stock tires, so not sure if I'd see much benefit to going wider. The RE71R in a 235/45-18 is quite a bit cheaper than the NT01 in a 265/40-18, for example.

Can't remember if I updated this thread or a different one, but I ended up changing my brake order from just XT910 pads to the RB pad and rotor kit. Front rotors and pads should be here in early June, and I've been told the rears are still several weeks out.

• Informative
Reactions: beastmode13
Nice post. You will really feel improved handling and grip with wider and sticker tires. 265 is a good all around width for street and track. You can get 275 but you’ll need 3mm spacers or an ET of 33 or lower with stock brakes. If you get aftermarket brakes it’s completely different.

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
Ok, 265 it is :)

Are there any OEM takeoff 18" wheels from other brands that fit the P3D? I read something about BMW wheels, and another post about Mustang GT wheels possibly fitting, but never saw any confirmation. Are we stuck with new aftermarket?

BMW’s are 5x120 which is the same as the S/X, but the 3 is 5x114.3. This is the the same as the Mustang and some Hondas/Toyotas - there just aren’t too many exciting options with the right width & offset, so that tends to go aftermarket.

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/d2/0a/b8d20a2b5e14d05451771ca3e587b2ed.png

The 2012-2015 Civic has the same specs, but there are a few other options if you want to go with a different width/offset. For a 265 width tire, you probably want to go with a 9.5” wide wheel, which matches up with a 2007-2010 Shelby GT500.

9FF65939-CB7C-4137-BCA1-A54320A92697.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
Ok, 265 it is :)

Are there any OEM takeoff 18" wheels from other brands that fit the P3D? I read something about BMW wheels, and another post about Mustang GT wheels possibly fitting, but never saw any confirmation. Are we stuck with new aftermarket?

Tesla - https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-by-vehicle/tesla/model-3.html

Current Mustang has the same bore and 114.3x5 bolt pattern as Model 3. However most Mustang owners are runinng 295/305/315 square setups, which means 10~11" width. The front of Model 3 just can't fit tire of that width. Perhaps you could convince Apex to do a group buy for Tesla Model 3 fitment of 19x9.5/10+35mm.

Tesla - https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-by-vehicle/tesla/model-3.html

Current Mustang has the same bore and 114.3x5 bolt pattern as Model 3. However most Mustang owners are runinng 295/305/315 square setups, which means 10~11" width. The front of Model 3 just can't fit tire of that width. Perhaps you could convince Apex to do a group buy for Tesla Model 3 fitment of 19x9.5/10+35mm.
What's the clearance issue? Fender lip, brake caliper, suspension components, wheel well liners?

Like if you went 18x9.5 with low offset and a low aspect ratio tire, would that work? What if you had more static negative camber? I'd probably be willing to trade section width for rim diameter.