Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Atlantic (Nina)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some pics from SoCalGuy who went to the event. Looks like that battery tunnel is here to stay. Sorry Fisker, once again, I think I'll pass.

SoCalGuy' pid='11701' dateline='1333510563 said:
There is a battery tunnel down the middle (you can see it in the B-roll footage too), so its 2+2 seating for now.
{ "lightbox_close": "Close", "lightbox_next": "Next", "lightbox_previous": "Previous", "lightbox_error": "The requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later.", "lightbox_start_slideshow": "Start slideshow", "lightbox_stop_slideshow": "Stop slideshow", "lightbox_full_screen": "Full screen", "lightbox_thumbnails": "Thumbnails", "lightbox_download": "Download", "lightbox_share": "Share", "lightbox_zoom": "Zoom", "lightbox_new_window": "New window", "lightbox_toggle_sidebar": "Toggle sidebar" }
Interior-Frontdriver.png

Fisker-13_610x407.jpg

Interior-Frontdriver2.png

Interior-PRNDL.png

Interior-Rearview.png

Interior-Rearview2.png

Interior-Rearview3.png

%">

Possibly not built in the US:

dennis' pid='11712' dateline='1333516707 said:
In an interview with the Chicago Tribune:

"We're going to launch this car with or without the DOE," said Chief Executive Tom LaSorda during a media event ahead of the New York auto show. "We're proceeding where the best cost will be. We're looking for alternative options to the U.S., of course."

Fisker CEO revamps business plan amid Karma woes - chicagotribune.com

Do they give the DOE money back in that case?

From that article I'm guessing they're working on it, but not putting their eggs in one basket. I think I remember reading they did just raise more private money as well.

*edit* sorry, was mobile and read your post wrong. Thought you said did they GET the DOE money back. On GIVING it back, I guess they only got what was slated for the Karma so far, plus it's a loan, so they've gotta pay that portion back anyway right?

Last edited:
Here's some pics from SoCalGuy who went to the event. Looks like that battery tunnel is here to stay. Sorry Fisker, once again, I think I'll pass.
The battery tunnel doesn't bother me, it gives a nice high arm rest for my right arm and a good place for a well protected pack, just like the gas tank tunnel in my Fiero. I can't remember the last time I had 5 people in a vehicle anyway.
On the other hand I don't like the two toned asymmetrical pattern on the seats.

The battery tunnel doesn't bother me, it gives a nice high arm rest for my right arm and a good place for a well protected pack, just like the gas tank tunnel in my Fiero. I can't remember the last time I had 5 people in a vehicle anyway.
On the other hand I don't like the two toned asymmetrical pattern on the seats.

On the one hand, it could feel cozy, but to me, it felt claustrophobic. My wife was in the backseats (she's 6'2") and seemed to feel the same. Her fears were compounded by the fear that she could get locked in back there (and coincidentally, I did read that someone did end up getting locked in their Karma).

The biggest thing to me though, is that so far it doesn't seem like much has changed from the Karma. Wouldn't a flat pack benefit them more? Or one below floor level? I guess we have to wait to hear what the top secret powertrain is, but so far I'm getting the suspicion that Fisker still isn't "getting it" and going all-in if that makes sense.

On the one hand, it could feel cozy, but to me, it felt claustrophobic. My wife was in the backseats (she's 6'2") and seemed to feel the same. Her fears were compounded by the fear that she could get locked in back there (and coincidentally, I did read that someone did end up getting locked in their Karma).

The biggest thing to me though, is that so far it doesn't seem like much has changed from the Karma. Wouldn't a flat pack benefit them more? Or one below floor level? I guess we have to wait to hear what the top secret powertrain is, but so far I'm getting the suspicion that Fisker still isn't "getting it" and going all-in if that makes sense.

Sitting in the Karma felt very constrained. Not in a cuddly feel good hug kind of way, more of a jam you in for safety because you are about to go over the falls kind of fit. I actually do like the stylistic calls on the interior, but that tunnel seems they are working around a problem from the 70's. I guess I keep post here cause it's a love hate thing. Tesla has shown the way with the floor battery pack and that function trumps this form for me.

By the way the Consumer reports update page on the Karma problems is like gold. That a trusted 3rd party is giving transparency to a company that has bee wanting in that dept could be what saves them. If the company can really ferret out all the problems brought to light that would be one more tick in the buy column for many.

All things considering, I think the Atlantic looks ok. Supposedly they're going to try to make it 2+3 as opposed to 2+2, but that really comes down the the drivetrain. The drivetrain engineering and packaging, an area in which they do not yet appear to have much expertise.

Got this email from a dealer:

Wow. The Atlantic looks great, combining the dynamic styling of the Karma into a family-size sedan configuration. The Atlantic seats four like the Karma, but sits higher off the ground and appears to have a larger trunk. The Atlantic will have the same plug-in electric/range extending gasoline engine (this time using a BMW engine) set-up as the Karma. Pricing has not yet been announced, but we expect the Atlantic to start at about $50,000.

Fisker has not set a firm production, but we expect to begin customer delivieries in mid-2014.

We can assist you with placing your order for the Atlantic (yes, Fisker has started taking orders) by replying to this email or contacting us

A123 has not structured their modules for a flat pack, and the energy density is not as high as the Panasonic LiCo cells, so I was not expecting the flat pack. A123 would have to redesign their modules for a flat pack orientation, which is not in line with what their other customers are using.

Given that the Atlantic seats as many as the Karma and has more trunk space, and has a BMW engine instead of a GM, and costs half as much, and even looks like the Karma - is the only reason to get a Karma now because you don't want to wait a couple/few/several years?

So far, the only downside seems to be the shorter EV only range (30 claimed versus 50 claimed) - but I haven't seen anyone talk about that, probably because Fisker's claim of 50 for the Karma was reported by others to be 30.

Given that the Atlantic seats as many as the Karma and has more trunk space, and has a BMW engine instead of a GM, and costs half as much, and even looks like the Karma - is the only reason to get a Karma now because you don't want to wait a couple/few/several years?

Pretty much.

Consider this -- if the Atlantic weighs, oh let's say half a ton less, which is well within the range of possibility, and with even a moderate increase in battery tech in the meantime, you might just get the same EV range as the Karma.

I'm having a hard time telling if the Atlantic has a rear battery tunnel like it's big sister, Karma. I'd hate to think that this car would have an even more tight back seat!. From looking at the pictures, however, it looks like there is leg room for the middle seat. Anybody know the real story?

Just awaking from a long night @ the show. No Nina on the floor and no one knew exactly why. One guy even said "fisker thought floor time in Geneva was enough" ... What'd I miss there? A more helpful woman suggested it was because they didn't want people close to a preproduction car

SoCal,

Are you on the list for the Atlantic? Looks are still pretty "Fisker", and I imagine by then the powertrain would be sufficiently evolved to offer more battery-only range (the lighter weight should also help there)

SoCal,

Are you on the list for the Atlantic? Looks are still pretty "Fisker", and I imagine by then the powertrain would be sufficiently evolved to offer more battery-only range (the lighter weight should also help there)

It looks like the Atlantic will actually offer less range on the battery than the Karma, which is a bit disappointing. If on price it is competing with the basic version of the Model S then for that price it should offer at least 80-100 miles of electric-only range.

SoCal,

Nope, not yet. I was at the Atlantic reveal party and it is certainly a good looking car. It still has the battery tunnel down the middle and I've heard it will have a smaller capacity battery, so roughly the same range as the Karma. That of course may change between now and production time, so one never knows. One car is enough for me for now. I would consider a Fisker SUV at some point, as I will need a utility vehicle once I move back to California full time.