Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When these conversations happen I always end with a selection of these (I stop when they stop poopooing them):

You know there is a car fire in the US every 90 seconds?

Yep, 250,000 every year.

(You know,) it's so common that traffic reporters have a cute name for some that can be horrific for burning families inside? Car-B-Que...

Do you have any idea what a kind of bomb you are driving on every day?

One gallon of gasoline is equal to 7 sticks of dynamite.

Last edited:
...and think about regular household appliances that catch fire. I actually came home to find my two yogurt makers turned off and the house smelling like burnt plastic. I make homemade Keefer in these yogurt makers, been making it for 6 months when just one day the Keefer grains really went off. They fermented so much that they pushed all the milk/water out of the bottle, over the yogurt maker which eventually worked the wetness inside the yogurt maker. The outside of the yogurt maker was black along the bottom, soot, and when I opened up the yogurt maker I could see that the entire unit (both units, had 2 running at the time) had failed in the same way. Luckily the house breaker did its job and triggered cutting the power. Secondly the flash inside the yogurt maker didn't get hot enough to catch the plastic on fire.

When taking the yogurt maker apart I found it *was not* sealed at the top and bottom, allowing the unit to get moisture inside which is a very bad design. I called the company and emailed them the pics, sent them the units, they mentioned that nobody had reported any issue like this. I told them its just a matter of time, the design is flawed, and must be sealed! They refunded my money for the 2 that fried, but they seemed really relaxed on the situation, and didn't see serious the word *fire* is.

I ordered two more, since I do like them, and modified it to prevent this from happening. I opened, then added RTV silicon to both the top and bottom areas of the yogurt maker. I also shielded as much as possible all of the electrical connections inside to limit any "short" in the case water did penetrate my seal.

To sum up my point, anything that is manufactured, has electronics or plugged into a hot-wire, has potential to fail. The reason they fail is that the engineers either ignored or missed a test case, or even it may have been brought up but pushed off due to getting the product out in time, and failure to identify and resolve these issues before reaching the customers hands risks of product name as well as the manufacturer associated with it.

As a manufacturer / designer / tester you want to catch all of this before it gets released to the public (at the latest in the test lab before the release), and if missed could get lucky with a customer who's willing to work with you to correct the issue and not be loud about it due to brand loyalty. If the issue works its way to mainstream, word of mouth, and the media gets ahold of it, its then like wild fire... burning up your reputation now and damage control is the only way to extinguish it until proper investigation is conducted and a fix / resolution is committed.

Personally Fisker fueled the fire even more by attacking the customer and did the opposite of damage control.

Last edited:
Along the lines of the above, that cooling fan was a known problem at Fisker. This is part of the reason I was able to predict the cause of the second fire before Fisker made the official announcement. So someone made the calculated risk of not issuing a recall earlier. I guess it made sense at the time, but you know, hindsight is 20/20.

Coon2Hindsight10.png

This looks like the 12 Volt battery issue (poorly routed 12v battery wire that rubbed and shorted) that Tesla was warning and made the recall about back in 2010, the video is dated August 2010. The recall appears to have been announced Around Oct 2010. You can see where they're focusing the fire extinguisher, around the front right wheel well right where the 12v aux battery lives:

The recall article:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/tesla-recalling-439-roadsters-for-fire-hazard/

"In a letter dated Oct. 1, Tesla told N.H.T.S.A. it had learned of a problem on Aug. 29 when a customer called and reported there had been “smoke and possible fire behind the right front corner of his vehicle. The customer was driving by a local fire station, where the fire was extinguished.”"

And a passerby actually captured the Roadster's fire being put out, which flagged Tesla of the issue:

It appears Tesla *listened* to the customer who reported the issue, didn't attack them, and did an investigation to fully understand the issue. And once they did understand the full extent and risk of the issue they announced the recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears Tesla *listened* to the customer who reported the issue, didn't attack them, and did an investigation to fully understand the issue. And once they did understand the full extent and risk of the issue they announced the recall.

Tesla service also called owners (repeatedly if necessary) to make sure we all got the fix applied quickly. I think I recall one of them saying they had 1 month to update every​ car in the field.

Interesting story actually, I own both a Karma and Model S. Was driving my Karma earlier today and after parking I was asked by a passerby if I this was the same car that caught on fire a few days ago up in Washington. A confusing set of circumstances to say the least.

Is this car on the left (the one that hardly looks like a car anymore) a Fisker Karma? I heard on Facebook that it was, but the poster didn't provide any source.

Mother Escapes Carmel Valley House Fire With 2 Sons
fire1.png

The wheel looks similar to me:

ORIGINAL CONDITION Genuine OEM Factory FISKER KARMA 22 x 9.5 in REAR WHEEL TIRE | eBay

The eyewitness account from the video below got me thinking it was an electric car of some sort:

Family escapes house fire in Carmel Valley

I started hearing what sounded like fireworks, sort of like maybe M80s or some kind of explosive, small explosive devices, going off in rapid succession.

This happened pretty close to where I live, and I heard the sirens that night. Fortunately, it seems no one was hurt. Even so, it must be awful having something like this happen. I hope they can recover some of their belongings. Sounds like most of the damage was to the first floor.

Is this car on the left (the one that hardly looks like a car anymore) a Fisker Karma? I heard on Facebook that it was, but the poster didn't provide any source.

Mother Escapes Carmel Valley House Fire With 2 Sons
View attachment 256164

The wheel looks similar to me:

ORIGINAL CONDITION Genuine OEM Factory FISKER KARMA 22 x 9.5 in REAR WHEEL TIRE | eBay

The eyewitness account from the video below got me thinking it was an electric car of some sort:

Family escapes house fire in Carmel Valley

This happened pretty close to where I live, and I heard the sirens that night. Fortunately, it seems no one was hurt. Even so, it must be awful having something like this happen. I hope they can recover some of their belongings. Sounds like most of the damage was to the first floor.

Wonder if the frame of the adjacent SUV was a BMW? There has been recent stories of BMWs catching fire spontaneously, without warning and often even after the car had been parked for hours.

Wonder if the frame of the adjacent SUV was a BMW? There has been recent stories of BMWs catching fire spontaneously, without warning and often even after the car had been parked for hours.

There are ~5M BMWs on US roads. In 2016 49 BMWs caught on fire not resulting from a car collision (accident).

Electrical fire, gas leak on hot catalytic converter, arson? Whatever the cause, 1 in 500k cars catching on fire per year is the exact statistical average in the US. BMW is neither more nor less likely to spontaneously catch on fire.

There are ~5M BMWs on US roads. In 2016 49 BMWs caught on fire not resulting from a car collision (accident).

Electrical fire, gas leak on hot catalytic converter, arson? Whatever the cause, 1 in 500k cars catching on fire per year is the exact statistical average in the US. BMW is neither more nor less likely to spontaneously catch on fire.

True, but I’m more inclined to believe a BMW catching fire and burning the house down than the Fisker EV.

Having owned several BMWs they all had a nasty habit of venting gas fumes when it got hot. And it got hot here a lot! (Channeling my inner Suess)

Drove me crazy with how badly the garage stank when it would get hot. Complained to dealership, they said it was “normal”. I decided I didn’t like that “normal” and got rid of our BMWs for Teslas. Now... no stink.

That was the location of a Karma available for rental in San Diego area.
I have reason to believe it was that car that was being rented when it caught fire.

That would mean the owner and the renter have the same first name and last initial. But I guess stranger things have happened.

Edit: Looks like you made a stealth correction to your post. So if it's the same person, why the different zip code? Recently moved and didn't update Turo?

Last edited: