Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Fisker Drops New Images of 400-Mile Electric Range EMotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fisker Inc. has shared new photos of its 2019 production vehicle, the Fisker EMotion, which promises a 400-mile electric range and a top speed of 161 mph.

According to a release, “The Fisker EMotion has been proportioned to accommodate an advanced high-energy density, patent-pending battery pack and cooling system. It can be charged through the vehicle’s proprietary UltraCharger technology, charging over 100 miles in nine minutes.”

emotion-teaser-2.jpeg

EMotion_Teaser_3.jpeg

The release says EMotion’s front end will house a LIDAR system behind a tinted screen to help power autonomous capabilities. Side mirrors conceal two cameras, which enable panoramic, 360-degree views to the driver.

The vehicle will be sold directly through Fisker’s website and planned showrooms, according to the release. Pre-orders for the $129,000 vehicle will begin June 30.

The EMotion is accomplished car designer Henrik Fisker’s second attempt at a high-end electric vehicle. He previously launched the Fisker Karma in 2011, but the company filed for bankruptcy in 2013 and sold its assets to Wanxiang, a Chinese automotive manufacturer. The company was renamed to Karma Automotive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to know where this 9-min charging setup is going to be located. Since most of the country doesn't even know what a J1772 looks like yet and has never seen a Supercharger, methinks that this will be akin to the hydrogen car fiasco, where unless you live in one community in Southern California you'd have no way to fuel your vehicle as claimed.

I certainly won't buy one, given the history at the prior Fisker. But I think it looks fantastic.

The 9 second charging is interesting. That would imply that they've been successful with the capacitors. That would be revolutionary, if it were true.

All of Heinrich Fisker's cars look very similar... Aston Martin, Tesla S, and now this. It's generally a good look.

9 min for 100 miles range that means about 150kW charge rate keeping in mind that would be 2020 year battery technology when released I would say quite probable, simply stating 9 min charge looks good until you turn on brains :)

Most of the links to info do not mention 100 miles?? They leave the reader assuming 9 minutes for full charge. And they talk about super-caps with no reference to batteries at all.

Stunning Fisker EMotion Unveiled, “9 Minute” Charge Time

Certainly capacitors should permit an extremely high charge rate if there was a way to get that absurd amount of energy into the car within that time period. But I'm highly skeptical that somebody has developed commercially viable capacitors at anywhere close to that density without a LOT of information out in the media.

Next 5 years will be interesting. Tesla started in exclusive sports car and moved to luxury sedan and SUV. But in 5 years, should be mainstream, volume automaker. The panache of the high end Tesla models may wane, so there's a market for someone to compete for... limited volume, high end. Tesla will be hard to knock off the hill, but this is high margin territory, so won't be surprised to see entrants.

Reactions: ken830
The only advantage over Tesla would be the graphene battery. And then he backtracks on that in just a couple of days? Henrik is kind of annoying. The Karma was a complete failure. Who in the world is still falling for this stuff?

The only advantage over Tesla would be the graphene battery. And then he backtracks on that in just a couple of days? Henrik is kind of annoying. The Karma was a complete failure. Who in the world is still falling for this stuff?
Websites that are desperate for something to write about, no matter how unlikely it is to live up to its claims -- and specialize in click bait headlines.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
At least we see how they charge a hundred miles in nine minutes. All those solar panels and wind turbines for only one charging station? If the car is comparable to Tesla, that's at 200+ kwh, with no taper. And all you Tesla owners who only get ChaDeMo speeds from your chargers will be lining up. LOL. I don't believe it.

Fisker, emerging battery supplier Nanotech end JV

The sedan is touted as having a top speed of 161 mph, a more than 400-mile electric range and rapid-charging capabilities of 125 miles in 9 minutes. The change in battery cell provider, according to Fisker, will not impact those performance metrics.

Fisker said that technology (flexible solid state) remains five to seven years away, if not more. It is expected to be eventually integrated into a planned mass-market vehicle, which Fisker expects to bring to market "ahead of 2025."

Fisker, emerging battery supplier Nanotech end JV

The sedan is touted as having a top speed of 161 mph, a more than 400-mile electric range and rapid-charging capabilities of 125 miles in 9 minutes. The change in battery cell provider, according to Fisker, will not impact those performance metrics.

Fisker said that technology (flexible solid state) remains five to seven years away, if not more. It is expected to be eventually integrated into a planned mass-market vehicle, which Fisker expects to bring to market "ahead of 2025."

No surprise that the batteries were vaporware. I am surprised that he's still touting 400 miles with off-the-shelf LG batteries...but he could always say he's quoting JC08 ;)

No surprise that the batteries were vaporware. I am surprised that he's still touting 400 miles with off-the-shelf LG batteries...but he could always say he's quoting JC08 ;)

He is also quoting $129k.

Could it be he is using a next gen chemistry that is too expensive for all the major OEMs but is doable at $129K? And a demonstration of LG Chem's abilities? Especially when LG Chem doesn't have to mass produce just make enough for maybe 1k packs per year?