Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that spec has always intrigued me since their 0-60 times are so poor. Has anyone actually measured that on a dyno or is that what Fisker claims (possibly copied from the motor manufacturer)?

Drove the Karma and, hostly, it was a joy. Did not want to like it, but loved it. No acceleration c/w my Model S, and I could not be seen in public in the Batmobile - and I could only fit 4/5 of my family and heck, there is no frunk - but - the seats and "cockpit" are sweet and it hugs the road nicely. Disclaimer: never drove at about 35mph or so.

"The company has not built a car in six months"
That's not good. It's going to be a tough road for them.
That caught my eye too. That's kinda nuts, especially when juxtaposed with Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Drove the Karma and, hostly, it was a joy. Did not want to like it, but loved it. No acceleration c/w my Model S, and I could not be seen in public in the Batmobile - and I could only fit 4/5 of my family and heck, there is no frunk - but - the seats and "cockpit" are sweet and it hugs the road nicely. Disclaimer: never drove at about 35mph or so.
After market question...

Was the seat comfort mostly related to the cockpit feel (entire cabin), or is there something that could be done aftermarket to give Model S (front) seats that kind of experience? More bolstering?

"The company has not built a car in six months"

That's not good. It's going to be a tough road for them.
If your production rate far outstrips your sales rate, the sensible thing to do is to stop production until things even out. I had figured a while back that production must have stopped some time ago. This is clear if you just compare their anticipated sales with their actual sales (15K versus <2K). But they managed to avoid admitting the length of the stoppage until last month, and still they cast blame on A123 rather than the overarching issue which is clearly lower than expected demand. Even with the 338 Karmas lost to hurricane Sandy, Fisker still estimates they have enough supply through at least Spring.

Fisker will be hard pressed to find a strategic partner. I doubt that there are many car makers struggling to put a Snidely grin on their vehicles (which is the only innovation the Karma and Fisker seem to have).

I've said elsewhere that I think China is probably their best bet. The majority of the major drivetrain components already come from China or (soon to be) Chinese owned companies. And while I don't think Fisker has any technology that would be of value to the American, European, or Japanese majors, the system integration experience and styling ability could be of value to a Chinese company.

But this courting of partners has been going on for quite a while now. How much longer can Fisker hold out?

You have another (final)? nail in the coffin coming on monday: Cadillac ELR. It looks sharp, comes from a major and is based on a now proven drivetrain. The rumour is it has more power than the Volt. I wonder if they are aiming for Fisker's 0-60?

Why should the ELR be a Karma-killer? It's a 2-seater with projected 0-60 of 8 seconds well off the Karma's 6 seconds, completely different styling.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1081954_down-to-the-wire-fisker-wants-partner-by-next-month

I think that anyone would probably be better off developing a power train from scratch.
The WSJ article (might be behind a pay wall) that GCR based that blog post on actually said, "In its pitch to potential suitors, Fisker is making the case that it offers an already developed battery-powered car that would otherwise cost more than $1 billion to develop."

So $1B to develop the car, not just the drivetrain, which makes a bit more sense. Still, just because it cost them that much to make, doesn't mean its worth that much to someone else.

A few interesting documents from the A123 bankruptcy:

Asset Purchase Agreement and Chapter 11 Information

Logan Company: Disclaimer

Fisker has an unsecured claim of nearly $50M against A123 for battery packs they were supposed to have replaced. What's interesting is included in the support documents for their claim is their January 2010 contract with A123 which shows battery costs and the expected Karma sales numbers back then. Rather ambitious.

Karma-A123 production plan.JPG

http://www.loganandco.com/claims/ASI/ASI000627_HEVYWKVYDKVYSKVYFEAYUVVYBKCYDGVYFXBYFMVYHIVY.pdf