Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're just a fail in general...

While Evercore advised General Motors during its bankruptcy, Posawatz specifically ruled out bankruptcy for Fisker.

The Wall Street Journal story says, however, that Fisker Automotive could be sold outright, according to the paper's sources.

If that happens, any new owner would most likely not have access to remaining low-interest loan funds from the Department of Energy.

Why would another automaker buy them? Got the funds to make a half-arsed attempt at a green car from random components and will now need to exit because of soft demand.

The mods will probably move this because it's veering off-topic, but some veterans here probably have some good insight so I'll ask.

Hypothetical:
If Fisker's focus was on pure EV (rather than Hybrid, or "EREV" as they like to call it to sound high end) and he had some juice left to spend, would Elon "look past the past" and help them out in the name of his general EV mission? It would be an impressive show of character.

If Fisker's focus was on pure EV (rather than Hybrid, or "EREV" as they like to call it to sound high end) and he had some juice left to spend, would Elon "look past the past" and help them out in the name of his general EV mission? It would be an impressive show of character.

I don't get the impression that Elon is that into "shows of character". Just see his past comments on the Karma. He's pretty outspoken on the things he feels strongly about. Just my opinion.

The whole irony in the Fisker story is that the car is not bad looking and would be impressive if it worked better. Put a V8 in the thing and I'll bet it would sell like crazy. But (I still believe this) Henrik had to make it at least partly electric in order to get his hands on some cheap government money. Starting a car company is fantastically expensive, and he needed that money to get Fisker over the hump. He simply wasn't wealthy enough; Venture capital was only going to take him so far, and he had no strategic partner(s). As evidence that I'm right, just look at what's happened since the government loan was frozen.

...would Elon "look past the past" and help them out in the name of his general EV mission? It would be an impressive show of character.

Help them out?

You mean like Mercedes and Toyota?

Fisker and it's backers come to Tesla hat in hand and ask for Tesla's powertrain for their next model and Tesla says yes. It is aprt of Tesla's mission to make all cars electric.

As for the parnership, I see it as a win-win. Fisker sells over the top looking cars and they have the best drivetrain on the market, and Tesla looks mature and makes money selling powertrains.

But (I still believe this) Henrik had to make it at least partly electric in order to get his hands on some cheap government money.

I don't think it was just about government money. I think they needed the angle to interest investors, period. "Just another pretty car" isn't a big enough hook. "Green cars for the wealthy" sounds like it might attract funding.

As trying year wraps up, Fisker searches for lifeline Cleantech News and Analysis

Seems to me that Fisker is starting to get into a pretty troubled financial place. The likely paths for the company are clear: it needs to sell, it needs a large car-company investor, or it needs to IPO in the first half of 2013, or it’ll hit the skids. The company has raised over $1 billion, so it’s got some months of cushion, but with its recent car losses and assembly stall, that runway is being crunched down.

I wonder why it was reposted then.
They used to all be on their own website, but I think recently started also posting to youtube. I think now they've started posting old episodes to youtube as well. That Karma episode was originally posted mid January 2012.
Jay Leno's Garage - 2012 Fisker Karma | Fisker

It's interesting to see this episode again in retrospect. This was when regular customers were just getting their cars and before all the bad press about the bugs, fires, and poor UI.

Fisker won't restart production until A123 sale clears - Automotive News

"We plan to wait until Wanxiang takes full control of A123, then we will get in contact with them to negotiate a contract," Fisker spokesman Roger Ormisher told Reuters. Once a deal is reached with A123's new owner, he said, "we can resume Karma production."

Until then, "we have a sufficient supply of cars," Ormisher said, who added, "We are not looking for a new battery supplier."

Ormisher said no Karmas have been assembled in Uusikaupunki since July, when the Finnish company begins a traditional summer break.

With the break in Karma production and a delay in the development of its second car, the Atlantic, Fisker has cut its workforce to around 300, Ormisher said.