Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Fisker spent a stunning $900,000 for each vehicle it produced,” PrivCo chief executive Sam Hamadeh told me. “Then they sold them to dealers for an invoice price of just $70,000.”
Is Fisker The Most Tragic VC-Backed Debacle In Recent History?

That better be hyperbole or every single Fisker exec needs to be jailed for failing to do their fiduciary duty to the company and it's investors. Car companies that loose money like that on their super cars have other cars that they make money on to offset the loses on the super car. What did other car did Fisker have to sell at a profit to offset the loses on the Karma? None, the more I learn about the management of Fisker, the crazier it seemed at Fisker HQ.

Get ready for Fisker's public flagellation - Automotive News

Should the government invest in unproven technology? Sure. It's called research and development. It's called getting a competitive advantage. We do it with Big Oil and Big Pharma companies all the time.

But if it's for a start-up -- regardless of the technology -- don't expect the government's track record to look good, particularly in the capital intensive automotive industry.

The contradictory crocodile tears on Capitol Hill will be political posturing, nothing more. If Fisker had been a success, these same legislators would be crowing about how smart they are at spending our money.

I basically agree with this, though I'm not convinced Fisker developed much technology. Perhaps some software to help combine off the shelf parts. We never saw the supposedly more advanced Atlantic drivetrain in the flesh. Seems Fisker's main accomplishment was a styling exercise. Perhaps we'll find out what IP assets they do have after bankruptcy.

Once again doug brings up a good point.

I find it far less troubling when government invests in companies (rather than research labs) if the companies are actually striving for tech advances. I still have yet to see or hear examples of how Fisker advanced the art. Tesla clearly has been doing research type activities rather than styling activities.

I find it far less troubling when government invests in companies (rather than research labs) if the companies are actually striving for tech advances. I still have yet to see or hear examples of how Fisker advanced the art. Tesla clearly has been doing research type activities rather than styling activities.

This. The karma is a glorified volt yet the owners act like it's the only thing in the world that does what it does (arguments over how the engine can switch to drive the wheels aside).

Get ready for Fisker's public flagellation - Automotive News

I basically agree with this, though I'm not convinced Fisker developed much technology. Perhaps some software to help combine off the shelf parts. We never saw the supposedly more advanced Atlantic drivetrain in the flesh. Seems Fisker's main accomplishment was a styling exercise. Perhaps we'll find out what IP assets they do have after bankruptcy.

That's the exact reason I brought up why so much money was spent on R&D for the Karma. Nothing was invented... everything was off the shelf. I can see this as being the biggest point for the Washington committee going after Fisker.

You can buy a Delorean on eBay for $10k-$20k

But why would you?

It would make a nice lawn ornament. :)

Bronze+Bugatti.jpg

That better be hyperbole or every single Fisker exec needs to be jailed for failing to do their fiduciary duty to the company and it's investors. Car companies that loose money like that on their super cars have other cars that they make money on to offset the loses on the super car. What did other car did Fisker have to sell at a profit to offset the loses on the Karma? None, the more I learn about the management of Fisker, the crazier it seemed at Fisker HQ.

I'm pretty sure that's development cost divided by number of cars sold, not cost to produce. Of course the number is going to be big, because they didn't sell many cars.

“Fisker spent a stunning $900,000 for each vehicle it produced,” PrivCo chief executive Sam Hamadeh told me. “Then they sold them to dealers for an invoice price of just $70,000.”

I hate this sort of spin. They didn't spend $900,000 building each car. They spent almost all of that money designing the cars, which is an investment. Then the car failed in the market, so they didn't recoup their investment. That doesn't mean they built cars for $900,000 and sold them for $70,000. Silliness with a political agenda.

Frankly, I was surprised they had not already filed bankruptcy by Friday.
I am concerned they will actually file on Monday, Earth Day. That would be easy ammo for detractors of EVs :(
I had the exact same thoughts. The DOE loan payment is due Monday, so that's the latest Fisker can file for bankruptcy that makes any sense.

As to why they didn't just go ahead and do it Friday, I have no idea.

The Karma of today is a MUCH better product than it was when I first got mine in January 2012.

As a former Karma owner I have to disagree with you. Maybe some bugs got ironed out (but not all of them). But that's all the improvement that was made.

Even on the most recent cars the engine noise is still terrible (lawn mower-like and noisy), electric range is still below par and far less than promised and the control center is still slow and illogical. Not to mention structural design flaws: the car is too heavy, has a useless (and heavy and expensive) solar roof, adults cannot properly sit in the back, the trunk is tiny and doesn't even fit two golf bags, the wheel base is too long which makes turning in tight spots difficult and wears down the front tires, the front exhaust pipes amplify the engine noise, accelaration on the highway in stealth mode is terrible for a car with 400+ bhp.

I once had some guys pulling up next to me on the highway - at 70 mph - asking me with gestures to step on it, as they were expecting this flashy car to be quite fast. Can you imagine the look on their face (and mine) when I responded and I accelerated at a grueling slow speed. I can asure you that will never happen to me again (in my Model S Performance).

Last edited:
Agreed, the cost per car is silliness.

Frankly, I was surprised they had not already filed bankruptcy by Friday.
I am concerned they will actually file on Monday, Earth Day. That would be easy ammo for detractors of EVs :(

And of course, politicians like Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin are going to lump Tesla in with them out of either ignorance or contempt. Yeah, that's a fragmentation grenade of ammo if they file tomorrow.

Image how frustrating it is for me to learn how much support from the government some companies received while we had absolutely zero support. I had to develop most of the car and build the company with the budget some companies had for designing their web-site. Not to mention that we had to develop and produce everything by ourselves.

Well, life is not fair I guess...

Sorry for the drama, I had to vent a bit...