Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker sues XL Insurance over 338 Karmas lost to Sandy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that were to happen, couldn't Fisker's creditors still pursue it?

Yes, sometimes the trustee in bankruptcy is more agressive about persuing claims than the bankrupt company may have been. The trustee is responsible to all the creditors.

Driving a RAV4 EV since October 2012.
Converting a VW to electric since April 2012
Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.

You can read XL Insurance's counter claim here: Supreme & Court of Claims Document List

It confirms some relevant facts. In particular,

As of October 29, 2012, the 338 vehicles had been at the FAPS facility for periods of time ranging from a minimum of 80 days to a maximum of 363 days.
and
Substantial numbers of the vehicles were categorized as "unassigned" and had not been consigned to dealers.

Any other insight you can offer, IP?

Sounds like Fisker didn't do their due diligence in ensuring these vehicles were clearly insured...
Quite possibly. I'm sure the original plan was to only have those cars temporarily at the port while they waited to get loaded onto car carriers to be transported to dealers. The XL investigation shows Fisker also had a policy with National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh which covered the cars for 15 or 30 days after they were unloaded from the boat. (Fifteen days if the FAPS facility is considered to be within the port, or 30 days if it's not. I'm not sure which it is, but at most 30 days under this policy.) Back in April, Fisker said the cars spent two to three weeks at port before going to dealers. So at that time, they probably had adequate coverage.

At some point Fisker made the decision to hold those cars at the port indefinitely while they waited for dealers to request them. The XL filing shows the last shipment was in early August. So NUFIC coverage ended on those last cars in early September at the latest. It might not have occurred to whomever was responsible (or it may have been a calculated risk not to get it) that they'd need some additional insurance for this situation.

Here's a Captain Hindsight video for those that didn't get my previous reference.

Captain Hindsight - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is definitely a colorable argument here for Fisker, and hence a claim value above $0. Here is the policy definition of Transit:

Damage to personal property included within Insured Property, while in transit within the Territory, including the navigable inland fresh waterways therein, by any means of conveyance from the time the property is moved for the purpose of loading and unloading and in temporary storage, including temporary storage on any conveyance intended for use for any outbound shipment or used for inbound shipment, including during deviation and delay, until safely delivered and accepted at place of final destination.

As Fisker and Orrick have argued and explained, there is coverage from the time the cars are moved for the purpose of loading (which is far from clear), continuously, including during temporary storage, including during deviation and delay. So while there are bad facts, I have seen weaker claims succeed.

Did Fisker's risk manager or other responsible individual screw up by not getting more or better coverage? Time will tell.

As regards the counterclaim, all they seek is a declaratory judgment, so no damages against Fisker. Also, Fisker has hired good litigators at Orrick (I've worked for and against Orrick on multiple occasions). XL has a smaller insurance defense firm. And the case is in state court in NY, which is viewed by many as a bit of a kangaroo court. But this is a pretty straightforward dispute, really. It is largely about what the paragraph above means. Now we can watch hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, get spent debating that!

- Chris

It is sad to think that Fisker paid for a service they are not getting...if Fisker would have missed a payment then this same company would have dropped them as a client. Fisker paid for the "What-if " and now the insurance company should pay out...period!

I'm going to side with the insurance company on this one.

The intent of the insurance policy was to cover vehicles while they were being shipped/transported to dealers, not while they were in indefinite storage. I expect the insurance company priced their premiums based on how likely it was for vehicles in car-carriers/etc to receive damage (there must be a lot of statistical data on this). How can these vehicles be considered "in transit" when none of them had a destination attached to them? Transit fundamentally requires the intention to go from somewhere to somewhere else. Is Fisker is arguing that the cars were in "temporary storage" while in transit? I don't think this is going to fly.

If the cars were targetted for specific dealers and delayed at the port for logistics reasons (including dealer lot being full), then I think Fisker may have a reasonable case.

It is sad to think that Fisker paid for a service they are not getting...if Fisker would have missed a payment then this same company would have dropped them as a client. Fisker paid for the "What-if " and now the insurance company should pay out...period!

Yup, they paid for specific coverage. If you pay auto insurance and not homeowners and your home burns down with your car in it, do you think the auto insurance would pay for a new home?

The lawyers will be the biggest winners here anyway.

IF Fisker had made payments for the insurance lately that would definitely work in their favor. If on the other hand they had paid entirely up front and have not made any payments since the vehicles were delivered to the dock, perhaps not.

I can see both sides. Presumably paying insurance for transport means you'd expect the cars to be actually delivered, not sitting somewhere for half a year. That rather extends the risk exposure of the insurance company. This would be particularly at issue if delivery delays were caused by Fisker themselves. On the other hand, you pay for insurance and you have a reasonable expectation of coverage. The courts don't care if you signed a bad contract; they will enforce the terms.

This will come down to the specific details of the insurance contract, and probably arguments about whether Fisker themselves were somehow partly responsible for the loss. I can certainly see why this is going to court. Most likely there will eventually be some kind of settlement.

Yet another problem for a company that really doesn't need any more of them.

Super Storm Sandy made it into all news channels all around the world well before it swung around to hit NYC. While I see the problem to evacuate hundreds of cars amidst preparations for a hurricane landfall, I never read that anyone actually tried to do so.

In face of a possible $30m claim, XL might have tried to get the cars moved to safer areas all by them selves.

So I arrive at the sad assumption that Fisker is to blame, and that they will have to eat the brunt of the costs. The settlement might define "transit" as a car actually being moved from A to B, not "a car produced but not sold yet", and draw an arbitrary number of days that a car might sit in a harbor parking lot. All of the actual 338 cars parked for longer than that will be not covered by insurance. :frown:

And don't tell me that the flash flood came unexpected. A good bit of insurance business is about telling insurance customers "well we told you so in advance."

PHOTO: 15,000 Hurricane Sandy-damaged cars parked bumper-to-bumper at Calverton Executive Airpark - NYPOST.com
30.1n004.cars1.C--525x300.jpg

http://www.weather.com/news/hurricane-sandy-cars-20121231