Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advice, buy a used S from Tesla, have them correct any problems that are not disclosed in pictures (my used X actually looked better than the pictures)

The only issue here is that Tesla no longer provides photos of their used cars and therefore will not address anything unless it is really egregious compared to their 'minor defects' blanket statement.

My issue isn't so much with the absolute size of the gaps, but the relative size. That is, on my frunk, the gap on the right side is noticeably bigger than the gap on the left side. Curious if the article took that into account.

The article says that they were looking for "tight and even" panel gaps, but the chart of statistics seem to be mostly on gap sizes, not differences.
But the article does note that the largest variances in panel gaps were between left and right side gaps on a Mustang GT and Lexus LC500, and the largest front-to-back variances on a Ford F350 Super Duty. They conclude by saying, "For the most part, todays' vehicles are uniformly uniform and tight, and only a couple millimeters separate the best from the worst." They also said, "Tesla's oft-criticized gaps measured smaller than average."

But I would say that their sample size was small, so that leaves open the possibility of large variances between cars even if the gaps are mostly uniform on a particular car.

Reactions: fitnessinstbob
After spending considerable time watching many reviews on Teslas,
I remain somewhat hesitant to take the plunge and order an S.
Seems like all the Teslas have had issues with fit and finish and paint.
I know Elon is aware of these problems but how long is it going to take to correct? There’s no doubt in my mind that Tesla is the leader in EV’s.
My son owns the 3 and loves it.
My belief is there so much demand that they can’t keep up with the orders so they are assembling them at a faster rate overlooking quality control.
A new Tesla owner shouldn’t have to take the car back to fix paint problems and fit and finish issues.
i’m not in a rush to buy a new Tesla.
I will patiently wait to see if these issues are corrected at the factory. When they are I’ll order the S.
I didn’t buy my Tesla for the “fit and finish”. But I will say you won’t want to buy one for the customer service, either, but I am one that loves mine none the less.

The sentiments aired on this forum don't reflect all owners opinions.

I think comparison cars matter a lot.
I have 2 Teslas with flawless paint to my eye outside of interior parts under trim.
Gaps/alignment are not perfect on either but only noticeable if someone is going after them.
Everyone has different standards. A detailer will tell you that no car has perfect paint.
Interestingly - I find that posters from certain areas of the country complain the most about such things. Not universally true of course. I live in NC now after living in both ends of CA and NY. Very few complaints from NC, lots from NY, southern CA.
As my 75yo MIL says, life is too short to worry about such things....

Now customer service .... that is a different can of worms. But thankfully, that is a rare problem. And, they do ok with the big things. Note the driveunits were not originally included in the 8 year warranty but were retroactively for early owners. The MCU1 warranty extension is also something that deserves credit (even if it took a lot of pressure to get it).

Strangely, I have 88k miles on my 2015 with original DUs and MCU1. My buddy has 113k - also on originals of both.

I’ve had two model S’s and Volvos,MBs BMWs Toyota’s and Honda’s as well as most American makes. One Toyota went through 4 head gaskets, the MB was a maintenance disaster, both Volvos too. The best fit and finish as well as reliability were two Honda CR-Vs kept for 15 years. After reading all the complaints, I started checking cars that I see. Guess what— the two Honda’s were the ONLY ones that checked 98%+ ! No car from any manufacturer is perfect. I once saw a brand new BMW for sale at the dealer with a door that looked like it was painted by Earl Scheibe on a bad day. And, they sold it. I personally think most Tesla’s are average +.in a very tough field. Oh, my two never needed service after delivery. Can’t say that about any of the others. Nothing, not even wiper blades. Just tires.

"The specifications for the Raven were first introduced by the EV maker via its online blog in April 2019. While Tesla confirmed at the time that the Raven would go into production straight away and was available for order from April 23, 2019...."

I just received my Model 3 Performance. In the docs folder was the QA report checking off all the fit and finish boxes with pretty wide tolerances, IMO. The fit / gap of the frunk is noticeably off and is especially apparent with the white finish, It appears that the gap tolerance is good when looked at from above, but looks off because sections are out-of-flush with the fenders. If this was a body shop repair after an accident, with ANY car, I would reject it.
Before I raise this issue with Tesla, what should I expect as a response? It bothers me enough to actually pay a body shop to have it fixed.

All this talk of "fit and finish" seemed academic to me until recently. I had never noticed any such issues on my 2015 Model S. I (perhaps smugly) figured my car had escaped such issues because it had been built "back in the day" when the factory was building only Model S, not X or s/Y yet, and presumably had time to "do it right."
But a few months ago, a mobile technician) replaced my left rear door handle. Apparently that required removing and later reinstalling the chrome trim on the top edge of the door panel (at the bottom edge of the window opening). He did not get the chrome put back in quite the same position,. so that now there is just the slightest misalignment of the chrome strips on the two driver's side doors. And I can't stop seeing it! Objectively, the misalignment is small, and completely understandable. But now I feel like my previously-perfect car has a "fit and finish" issue it never had before!
I suspect I would not have been so conscious of this or so annoyed about it if it were not for all the attention to fit and finish issues on more recent Tesla cars....

Mine has the same issue. Looking in the rear view mirror all I see is the alignment off between both doors. I brought it in to fix along with the weather strip around the door which had been installed rotated leaving ripples. When they attempted to fix they bent the chrome molding, back in early January. Still waiting for a replacement part, and the ripple has returned. I texted last week and was told it will be a while since they are producing new parts for the new style.