Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues Plaguing Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that a Tesla may have 500 features while a Dodge Ram pickup has a knob for the heater and a knob for the stereo.

I could complain that my Model 3 doesn't automatically close the garage door .5% of the time or than my phone key fails to work if I have the phone in my back pocket. Nobody with a Ram has these complaints.

And if you want to say a door falling off and someone being unhappy with the font size on the display are equal "defects", then I don't know what to tell you.
I understand the point you are trying to make but would be remiss if I didn't point out that actually my partner just bought a fully loaded RAM in one of the top trim levels and it has every feature you can imagine in a slick 12" touchscreen interface that rivals the best of them out there. Ram has had this for a couple years now.

I understand the point you are trying to make but would be remiss if I didn't point out that actually my partner just bought a fully loaded RAM in one of the top trim levels and it has every feature you can imagine in a slick 12" touchscreen interface that rivals the best of them out there. Ram has had this for a couple years now.

I just checked out the photos of the RAM interior. That interior looks awesome.

Reactions: InternetDude
We just had to reject our White/White/OtherWhite PUP yesterday because of the door being a different color. I did a lot of searching and it seems around the 9K and 11K VINS had this problem. The funny thing was it was BRAND NEW with 5 miles but they were selling it as an inventory car and took $500ish off the price. My guess is that it was rejected prior and just went down the list.

With that said, if we know that there is a common paint problem with the white, why wouldn't Tesla be proactive and not give these cars to customers and find/fix the underlying issue?

It was extremely hard to say no to the car because the rest was about perfect, but I couldn't live with a white/blue driver's door, and the rest not the same. Panel gaps do not really concern me much because they can be adjusted easily and most cars do have them. There I just no excuse for the shoddy painting scenarios we have been seeing lately.

Reactions: Reeler
We just had to reject our White/White/OtherWhite PUP yesterday because of the door being a different color. I did a lot of searching and it seems around the 9K and 11K VINS had this problem. The funny thing was it was BRAND NEW with 5 miles but they were selling it as an inventory car and took $500ish off the price. My guess is that it was rejected prior and just went down the list.

With that said, if we know that there is a common paint problem with the white, why wouldn't Tesla be proactive and not give these cars to customers and find/fix the underlying issue?

It was extremely hard to say no to the car because the rest was about perfect, but I couldn't live with a white/blue driver's door, and the rest not the same. Panel gaps do not really concern me much because they can be adjusted easily and most cars do have them. There I just no excuse for the shoddy painting scenarios we have been seeing lately.
White/White/Ivory?

Did Tesla agree that the paint didn't match? Or did they say it looked fine or "was in spec"? I'm curious if they were willing to repaint that side of the car.

Probably because they are hoping someone doesn't notice the color discrepancy and the car will be sold at $0 remediation cost to the company.
Maybe they have a "3 strikes" policy for rejected cars :D

Reactions: jimmym1981
It's absolutely true that right now they are in a mad rush to make deliveries. The Tesla delivery agent even acknowledged the S&P index profitability requirement was an end of quarter driver. However bad paint is not exactly a new thing. The guy who does my XPEL PPF wraps said he once found a fly under the clearcoat of a Tesla:(

Maybe Elon gets another $700 million bonus if TSLA gets into the index??? ;)

Reactions: jimmym1981
Probably because they are hoping someone doesn't notice the color discrepancy and the car will be sold at $0 remediation cost to the company.
Maybe they have a "3 strikes" policy for rejected cars :D
Well whoever is possibly went over there after us yesterday or today will be the deciding factor. It sucked because the rest of the car was 99% great. The service center said they didn't notice it, so I knew it would be an uphill battle to try and get it repainted.

Well whoever is possibly went over there after us yesterday or today will be the deciding factor. It sucked because the rest of the car was 99% great. The service center said they didn't notice it, so I knew it would be an uphill battle to try and get it repainted.

We found that a large portion of their service center personnel across multiple locations had very little experience and an eye for catching body and paint defects, unfortunately. Thankfully, in our case, we were welcomed in and able to work with our local service centers to educate and train alongside them on what is quality, what is clearly factory defects, and what is acceptable. Due to that, our local centers are now much more stringent and exacting. They're more open to dealing with paint and panel gap issues. Hopefully your service and/or delivery center also know what's up. Fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Dave EV
We found that a large portion of their service center personnel across multiple locations had very little experience and an eye for catching body and paint defects, unfortunately. Thankfully, in our case, we were welcomed in and able to work with our local service centers to educate and train alongside them on what is quality, what is clearly factory defects, and what is acceptable. Due to that, our local centers are now much more stringent and exacting. They're more open to dealing with paint and panel gap issues. Hopefully your service and/or delivery center also know what's up. Fingers crossed for you. Good luck.
Really great of you to help out in the service centers, I think slowly when the rush is over, more training will happen.

The door was blatantly a different shade of white, even another customer noticed it, but only when the sun went down could you truly see it. Unfortunately, the advisor was also a bit rude throughout the whole time. Very little contact, but from the initial to the end, I walked out with a sour taste in my mouth, especially after I said "I think I'm gonna pass and wait for a new build" to which he looked up from his desk and replied, "OK, see ya next time." Nothing else at all. No assistance to even ask what was wrong.

I got a call around 11 and it was an "inventory vehicle" that matched my setup (white/white PUP) and they discounted it $500 because of that. However, the car only had 5 miles on it so I'm guessing it was a reject prior to me. 6/20 build date and the screen protector was still on there.

Oh well, the whole experience from the initial call to me being back home was only 4 hours long, so there wasn't much build-up prior. Back to the queue I go! ;)

I just checked out the photos of the RAM interior. That interior looks awesome.
It's really nice inside and has a well done, responsive, feature-rich, modern infotainment system. It's the main reason we picked the RAM over Ford. He was considering having two vehicles: an older work truck and a nice smaller run-about SUV for personal use and clients, but we didn't feel like it made sense to have two small SUV's, so he went with the one super nice truck that is the best of all worlds. He is really excited about Rivian.

I returned mine today after 4 days. Love the technology and driving it but didn't want to deal with the build quality. Will buy again once they've worked out the kinks.
Poor build quality is unacceptable at this point - it's not their first Rodeo. Serious attention is required on the factory floor and related areas to pinpoint the problems and remedy the cause. Are they still assembling in tent?

tent? They were really assembling the Y’s in a tent? Do other car manufacturers do that?
Hahah I will assume yes still coming out of the tent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESuF5JHWoAECjQC?format=jpg&name=medium
ESuF5JHWoAECjQC

$70,000 Door

I recently went to the local Tesla store to purchase a Model Y. I was dismayed by what I saw. The finish work was so bad that it poised a danger. You could easily lacerate your leg on the door. See attached picture. I was prepared to spend $70,000 on this car until I looked closely at the doors. Instead I took a picture and walked out. Look at the corner to see why.

20200719_161650.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG. and Reeler
^ Wow, that whole build with exposed horizontal seam looks "off"? In addition to a safety hazard, if you look very closely (choose "view image" and then use the zoom function on your browser) it looks like surface rust is already starting to form along the edge of the horizontal seam and in the exposed corner interior too? I wonder if this particular door was somehow "missed" when it came to sealing the seams?

Below is a corner of the driver door from my 2017 Bolt, everything looks well sealed/protected from the elements. My car has been through three NY winters with heavily salted roads and not even a hint of rust anywhere. Compared to my door, the MY door looks like amateur hour design & build quality.

Door-Corner.jpg

Last edited: