Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing a paint chip costs $1,700??!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new model y on Monday, long range. This morning( two days after delivery), when I tried to open the trunk, it went all the way up to hit the metal piece of the garage door, and a small piece of paint on the back chipped. And then I went to a Tesla certified body shop, they gave me an out of pocket quote :$1,700!!!
Anyone has a better suggestion to fix it?
Sorry for your damage. Just out of curiosity, does your front driver side door match they rest of the car? Mine has a blue tinge where as the rest of the car has a cream undertone

Here is mine btw...

IMG_0945.jpeg

Yikes.

One video I watched on the TMY suggested using a thick foam pad to open the hatch in your garage for the first time.

My thought was to open it outside of the garage, pull it down about half way, set the opening height. Then pull into the garage, open the hatch and push up to set the final opening height.

Reactions: Wjli2020 and steve3
I had a small ding like that from not thinking before opening hatch under a beam in a parking garage. Was 2nd day with car.
Anyway, I had it touched up and there's a little bump there now, but better than paying the big bill. My SC manager told me the best solution was to remove the trunk, fix it and repaint the whole thing. I shut it down then and went with touch up. I wonder if the $1700 was for a more extensive fix like my SC offered and not for touch up?

Reactions: Wjli2020
I got my new model y on Monday, long range. This morning( two days after delivery), when I tried to open the trunk, it went all the way up to hit the metal piece of the garage door, and a small piece of paint on the back chipped. And then I went to a Tesla certified body shop, they gave me an out of pocket quote :$1,700!!!
Auto dealers (real dealers, not Tesla) have contract "fix-it" guys they use for repairs like this. See if your local GM or Ford dealer will give you a contact. I doubt they would charge anything near $1700 and they usually do great work. I have a contact that Porsche uses and I used for small repair on a Macan - the guy was a perfectionist. Let me know if you want his number.

Reactions: Wjli2020 and ArtK
I vote for the carbon fiber spoiler as well. In the meantime you could easily wrap just that portion of the wing with vinyl wrap. I think this 3m Gloss white gold sparkle is pretty close in color. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MREN0W4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or wrap the spoiler area with carbon fiber vinyl.
Also, don't go through insurance for something like this. It would show up in your carfax as a previous repair. Im sure you could get a body shop to give you a reasonable quote, much cheaper then Tesla. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Did you end up getting this fixed? How much did it cost you to fix it and what was involved?

I picked up my Model Y last week, and the exact same thing happened to me. There was a pipe in the ceiling of my office building parking garage that I didn't see. The damage looks more or less the same as yours.

Did you end up getting this fixed? How much did it cost you to fix it and what was involved?

I picked up my Model Y last week, and the exact same thing happened to me. There was a pipe in the ceiling of my office building parking garage that I didn't see. The damage looks more or less the same as yours.
Depending on how bad the damage is, you can probably use the paint repair kit. I’ve used it and it worked out very well. It was very easy to use and you can’t see the damage at all.

If instead you install a rear lip MYP spoiler that entire area will be covered. Touch up the area first and then install the spoiler. I own a MYP and looked at the coverage area before replying to your message. it will be fully covered by the spoiler

If instead you install a rear lip MYP spoiler that entire area will be covered. Touch up the area first and then install the spoiler. I own a MYP and looked at the coverage area before replying to your message. it will be fully covered by the spoiler
That post was from 7/2020, so he probably took care of it by now (and someone did suggest the spoiler). ;) Still a good option though for people who damage that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: imola.zhp and EdEV