Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire & Roadside Experience and Tesla Service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my Tesla Roadside Asst. story from last week. One of our 3's got a flat tire, I used the mobile app to get a replacement (didn't have to call anybody or sit on hold), got a txt saying they would be in here in 90 min or less to put on a replacement wheel/tire, they showed up, took my tire, replaced it with a loaner wheel/tire and came back the next day with a new tire mounted on my rim. I couldn't have asked for better/easier assistance. Top notch. The same thing happened last time we had a flat.

I said I didn't blame Tesla for the long response time. That is typical around this area at 5 pm. It was non-repairable sidewall damage. Yes, I made the mistake of going through Tesla. They told me to leave the key card in the glove box and they did not put it back there. They put it in the frunk and did not tell me because their service department is horrible at communication. That is why I didn't have the keycard the next day. So yes I blame them for that. I see everyone's workarounds. It's still no excuse for their terrible service and sloppy delivery. I love the car and I don't think its too much to ask for their service to be at least comparable to their competition.

I have had run-ins with their online store. For example, I bought a charger, they sent the wrong version and their contact is only via e-mail and they never check it. I had an electrical contractor that I ended up having to postpone because it took several weeks to get that resolved.

Those of you with good experiences I hope it stays that way. I was looking forward to buying a Model Y but for now, I'm going to wait and see if they improve. If not there will be a ton of new competition on the way.

We can't blame Tesla for their roadside assistance being bad because everyone else's roadside assistance is bad? Isn't Tesla supposed to be better than the alternatives? Maybe you're happy with mediocrity, but I want Tesla to be better. In all things.

The issue here isn't so much that Tesla's roadside service is bad, as that they sell cars without spares. If their cars had spares, like virtually all other cars, they people could just change the flat (or call AAA to change the flat) instead of having to deal with the cluged system of loaner tires and tows to service centers.

The issue here isn't so much that Tesla's roadside service is bad, as that they sell cars without spares. If their cars had spares, like virtually all other cars, they people could just change the flat (or call AAA to change the flat) instead of having to deal with the cluged system of loaner tires and tows to service centers.

BMW's don't have spares, but their cars have runflats so you can get to a service center or tire shop. Runflats are more expensive but I would love to have them on my Tesla just for the peace of mind. When the time comes for new tires I think that is what I'll get.

Reactions: tvad
...or tire repair kits, or run flat tires.

Not sure why you are blaming this on Tesla, it tends to happen with most roadside services.
Plus, how can not having your card key be Tesla's fault?

You don't have to use Tesla's roadside service

I agree but don't understand why I see 4 others disagree.
There's so many option than sitting around for 2 or 4 hours.
Call AAA. Call any flat bed tow truck and tow it to a service center or even your home.
Your insurance will cover the tow.

I agree but don't understand why I see 4 others disagree.
There's so many option than sitting around for 2 or 4 hours.
Call AAA. Call any flat bed tow truck and tow it to a service center or even your home.
Your insurance will cover the tow.
Why should you need to use a third party service when you’ve already paid for first party service? Tesla needs to be better.

Before I ordered my Model 3 a year ago, I asked the salesperson what would I do if I had a flat tire. The salesperson responded that no matter where or what time it was, Tesla would promptly send a service vehicle with a loaner tire and wheel. A few days ago I had my first flat and I would like to share my experience.

It was after 7 p.m. I was in Irvine, California, a large metropolitan area about 70 miles from my home in Los Angeles. Using my Tesla app on my iPhone, I contacted Tesla for assistance. About 10 minutes later, I got a phone call from a woman working for Tesla informing me there were no tires available. The most Tesla would do would be to tow my car to a nearby Tesla repair facility or any other repair station of my choice within 50 miles from my car. When I mentioned that I was far from home, more than 50 miles away, it was late, and local garages were probably closed. She was indifferent. When I asked how I would get home, that was my problem, she answered, not hers.

I had just finished a long, arduous day of work and I was very tired and hungry. As I informed the Tesla agent, I am in my late 70s, I was with my elderly wife, it was late, and we were far from home in an unfamiliar area. When she continued to be indifferent to my predicament, I admit I became a little hot under the collar. I reminded her this was not what Tesla promised it would do under these circumstances, and threatened to sue Tesla if she continued to be unresponsive to my situation. Instead of offering assistance, the woman then abruptly hung up and sent me a text which read, "It is my understanding that you have requested legal action. We will not be able to assist due to your request." Although I immediately texted back and apologized for getting excited and withdrew my threat of legal action, she refused to respond to my texts literally begging for help. All I got from Tesla's "service" agent was the equivalent of the middle finger with a text that read, "You will need to find your own tow provider tonight."

Fortunately, I was able to call the auto club and a kind and helpful man who came by in response inflated my tire and located a tire store a few miles away that was open for another 15 minutes. I managed to convince the manager to stay open longer and my flat was fixed. Kudos to AAA and the tire store and boos to Tesla.

My past good experience with Tesla led me to recommend the car to three friends who each purchased model 3s. I wouldn't recommend the brand again now. Obviously, I can't rely on Tesla's promises for roadside assistance. Without a spare tire, that's a serious problem for me. I plan to follow up with Tesla and see what its response will be before I decide what further action I will take.

Fortunately, I was able to call the auto club and a kind and helpful man who came by in response inflated my tire and located a tire store a few miles away that was open for another 15 minutes. I managed to convince the manager to stay open longer and my flat was fixed. Kudos to AAA and the tire store and boos to Tesla.

As soon as we took delivery of our Model 3, we upgraded to AAA Premier. It seemed like a prudent thing to do, and your tale confirms it.

Reactions: afadeev
My experience with AAA is that they are third party too... A local wrecking/service company is dispatched.

I keep an air compressor ($20-$30 available at Walmart or any autoparts store) in my frunk. I fill up my tire, and wait like 10 minutes to check pressure again. If it is a slow leak I will carefully drive to a tire store. Obviously if the tire is shredded and cannot hold air service will have to come. I have had to pull into a parking lot and put more air in on the way to the tire store with a medium leak. I monitor using the TPS on the display and if it drops 10 pounds, top it back up.

After hours when stores are closed one would have to wait... I have driven home and parked overnight and refilled in the morning before if it is close. I do have the Tesla repair kit, but have not used it since I have heard it does not work well with the noise foam in the tires.

Reactions: superblast
Without a spare tire, that's a serious problem for me. I plan to follow up with Tesla and see what its response will be before I decide what further action I will take

Other than an apology, what do you expect them to do for you? The car doesn't have a good place for a spare tire, and their roadside assistance is what it is. You didn't really incur any expenses due to what happened, just inconvienience and a scare. So there isn't anything for them to reimburse.

And what "further action" do you think you can take? I suppose you could sell the Tesla and buy a more reliable and conventional car. But you have no damages here, so even small claims court isn't really an option.

I think venting on this website, which you've now done, is basically the only "further action" open to you.

Me... I will never buy a car that doesn't have a spare.

I had a very similar experience with Toyota Roadside Assistance. The next day, I signed up for AAA again (which I’d canceled thinking the Toyota plan would be a good substitute), and I’m never going back to anyone else. Looks like Tesla’s own roadside assistance is no different than others. Good to know.

I canceled my Model Y Pre-order today. This is what I would have liked to put into the feedback form but they limit the character count.

I got a flat tire and it took four hours to get help. I realize this part is not necessarily Tesla’s issue but this lengthy time to get help leads to even more problems. My tire went flat on me at 5 pm in a shopping center. When I contacted Tesla for roadside assistance, I was given a two-hour response time. I was okay with that but two hours later an update came in saying it would be another two hours. That was going to be a big problem for me because I had an appointment at 9 pm that I couldn’t miss. The text message said I could leave the car there and they would tow it to the service center if I couldn’t wait. I tried to call the number for clarification and instructions, but these are SMS only numbers. I got a ride home and finally got a response from the SMS stating to leave the key in the glove box. Great now I need to drive all the way back and drop the key in the glove box because the person didn’t respond to my SMS and I couldn’t just call someone.

The following day I waited until 30min after the service center opened to call for status. The person told me someone else would call me back. Two hours later and still no call back I decided to call again. Only to find out they do not have any tires in stock. They will put on a loaner and I would come and get it after hours that day. In the meantime, they would send me Uber credits since I was basically stranded without a car. The uber credit did not work and Uber support is nonexistent. I ended up calling Tesla again to see if they had any tips. They told me to remove the app and re-install that ended up helping but only compounding my anger since I am now five hours late to work.

I picked up my car later that evening and the following day I got to a tire shop. It was going to take the tire shop about three hours to fix my car. I had no intention of waiting so I went to my glove box for the keycard and it was not there. Now I get to wait another three hours while they get to my car because I have only my phone key. This is a Saturday and google says the Rocklin dealer is open so I assume like all other car manufactures service would be open as well. I drive over to drop off the tire and get my key card. Only to find out that I a dumbass your service isn’t open on Saturday. At this point, I am pretty pissed and all I want to do is give back the tire and get my key. They go looking for my key and eventually one of the sales reps says they usually put them in the frunk. I go check the funk and sure as *sugar* it’s in there. This isn’t the first time I have had problems with service. When Tesla delivered my car, it was damaged. Talk about a total buzzkill. The salesperson was so clueless she was asking my wife and I if we wanted to take pictures with the car. The paint was damaged and the frunk hood wasnt bolted on correctly. Never in my life!!! My new car goes directly into the repair shop for three weeks. If it wasn't for the tax credit at the time I wouldnt have accepted this car. Not in that condition. The service center had the same issues with communication. The loaner car was a total clunker pice of poop. So today I am canceling by model Y preorder and will never buy another Tesla until they get this sorted out.

Yeah - Ive come to realize that Tesla's cant be an only car for people that depend on them for their lively hood.
I came to that realization when my car stopped charging and the app tried to schedule me for 2 weeks out and I realized that you cant actually speak to a live person at a service center, and even when you do get in touch with someone - they are so overwhelmed they cant help you anyway.

TVAD asks what further do I expect from Tesla. Tesla needs to apologize for the reckless indifference of its service agent who abandoned us when we needed help, but more is required. Tesla chose to deliver a vehicle without a spare tire and promised road service instead that it evidently can't or won't consistently deliver. AAA (in my experience) successfully provides consistent, reliable, timely road service, so I know it's possible. Tesla must now find a reasonable solution, since continuing to be subject to the dangerous situation of driving a vehicle without a reliable way of dealing with a flat tire is unacceptable.

I would appreciate hearing from other subscribers who have had experiences with Tesla's road service.