Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tires? Fix-a-flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
The Model 3 does not come with a spare tire. That's kind of weird, for a car that's otherwise suitable for road trips. My Roadster came with a can of Fix-a-flat at least. The Model 3 didn't even come with that.

I'm wondering what folks do. Carry a can of Fix-a-flat? Modern tires don't get flats nearly as often as tires did a few decades ago, but it does happen. I might not even be in cell phone range for parts of my upcoming road trip.

Suggestions? (I'm not actually worried. I'm just wondering how to best be prepared.)

I didn't realize that the car did not come with a sealant kit. I'll buy one, and I already have a plug kit for the car. I figure that between the two of these and my phone I'm pretty well covered. If I was driving out of telephone range in hostile country I would also consider equipping the car with a spare tyre; and as the situation warranted, a machete, pistol, machine gun and/or killer robot.

Actually, the killer robot is a good idea anyway in case I come across any HOV lanes.

As an aside, I fixed a flat in my NIssan LEAF with the sealant kit that came with the car. The TPMS was not damaged and the local Discount tire shop was happy to fix the tyre. It did take them 2-3 minutes to wash out the goop with water.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and chinnam3
I won't be in any hostile country. Washington State and British Columbia. So I won't need the machine gun, killer robot, or machete. But I'll probably be out of cell phone range for much of the trip. And I have no idea how to patch a tire. Last time I got a flat (coming home from the same places I'll be going again now) I did have a jack and tire iron and doughnut spare, but try as I might I could not get the lug nuts off. In the end a good Samaritan came by and changed the tire for me. I think I might be able to manage to squirt a can of fix-a-flat into the tire. Maybe. If I'm really careful.

But seriously, what do folks generally carry when the car has no spare tire?

@gene posted a thread a while back about a spare tyre from another manufacturer that is a drop in replacement.

But why concern yourself with a spare tyre if you cannot remove the lug nuts ? I doubt you are making contingency plans that rely on a good Samaritan.

Actually, the good Samaritan plan is better than calling for a flatbed truck when you are outside of cell phone range. Back in the day when women were supposed to be helpless, they still carried spare tires in their cars and relied on some man to change it for them. Women, of course, are no more helpless as a class than men are, but some people of all genders are helpless when it comes to changing tires.

Without a spare tire, if I'm outside of cell phone range, I'm still dependent on a good Samaritan to give me a lift to somewhere I can make a phone call.

The last time I had to hitch a ride, it took two hours before someone stopped, and all the occupants of that car, including the driver, were drunk.

I guess I'll get one of those 12-v. compressors and sealant. I'd rather ruin a tire & sensor than walk to the next town for cell service.

Tire plug kit + compressor + tube of RTV silicone = no problem if you get a nail in a tire. Include a pair of pliers (preferably needle nose ones) to pull out the nail, you don't even have to take the wheel off. I've done that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I’d go with 12v compressor, plug kit, sealant. I’d try plug kit first.

I’ve had leaks, but fixed at home with plug kit and regular compressor.

Tire plug kit + compressor + tube of RTV silicone = no problem if you get a nail in a tire. Include a pair of pliers (preferably needle nose ones) to pull out the nail, you don't even have to take the wheel off. I've done that.

Thanks, all.

Honestly, out of all the flats I've had in the last 20 years, all but one just needed a compressor. Simply pump the tire back up and drive to the shop. Most punctures leak so slowly, there's no need for the fix-a-flat. It wasn't until last week when I got a screw that caused a fast leak. Fortunately it was right before I got home, so I was able to take the tire off the car and take it to the shop in the trunk of my other car. But if I was out on the road, the fix-a-flat or a tow truck would have been the solution.

Fortunately tire blowouts are very rare these days thanks to the TPMS. That system gives you advanced warning of low tire pressure, so you can fill it back up long before the tire blows out (blow outs are typically caused by continuous driving on an under inflated tire).

If you are not in cell range fix a flat will have to do. But as you probably know, fix a flat destroys your tire if you use it and makes a mess of your rim as well. It'll plug the hole and get you to a tire shop, but expect to buy a new tire when you get there...

Fix-A-Flat does not damage your tires. Just follow the instructions on the can and repair the tire with a proper patch/plug. Have the tech clean the inside of the tire and blow out the TPMS. I also carry a compressor and tire plugs in the car for roadside use. You can also purchase the Tesla Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit