Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tires? Fix-a-flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, out of all the flats I've had in the last 20 years, all but one just needed a compressor. Simply pump the tire back up and drive to the shop.

^^this^^. A small tool kit (2-3 kinds of cheap pliers, several screwdrivers, a flashlight), a 12v inflator, and a patch kit is all you really need. And the inflator is all you'll probably ever need to use on the road, depending on what kind of trip you're on.

inflator - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WOT3YM6
patch kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OIBP4BC

I bought a Slime heavy-duty 12-v air compressor and a can of Fix-a-Flat. Altogether with tax $72. $11 for the FaF and $55 for the compressor, plus tax.

I went to the Tesla web site first to buy their kit, but there was no indication of shipping time. (Amazon tells you when your package will arrive, with options for faster delivery.) And no option on any phone number I could find to talk to someone in the Car Accessories Store department. So I went to NAPA.

If you are not in cell range fix a flat will have to do. But as you probably know, fix a flat destroys your tire if you use it and makes a mess of your rim as well. It'll plug the hole and get you to a tire shop, but expect to buy a new tire when you get there...
Not true as I have used it and the rim is fine. Yes it is a mess but TPMS and the rims were just fine. That said Tesla does sell a portable compressor and fix a flat Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit you can easily carry around.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkinArch
Does the car come with "run flat tires"? I just assumed they did since does not come with a spare. My 2003 Lexus SC430 came with run flat tires. My Model S recently got a nail (or something) and was loosing air. Took to American Tire and they fixed it quickly (for free).

The Model 3 does not come with run-flat tires. However, tires nowadays get far fewer flats than tires a few decades ago. Once upon a time, when I was younger, I actually was able to put on my spare tire, and had to do it from time to time. I think I've gotten one flat in the past decade. (I was also able to change my own oil. I can't change my oil anymore. ;) )

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Yes, it comes with Roadside Assistance. I forget the length of time. That won't help much if you are outside of cell phone range, though. That flat tire I got some years back, I was far from town, outside of cell phone range, and it was a Sunday, so nothing was open in any of the small towns scattered far apart. I'd have had to hitchhike (and maybe wait hours for a ride) to somewhere with cell coverage, and then probably wait several hours more for a wrecker to come from the city.

Fortunately that car did have a spare, though it was just a doughnut, and fortunately someone stopped and changed the tire for me.

In the 10 years I've had an 80 mile daily commute in New Jersey I've blown a tyre three times. My A4 has a full size spare (with alloy wheel) so fixing a flat takes 15 minutes and then I can take my time shopping for a replacement for the flat. Before that, during the Big Dig in Boston, my Golf had a flat once a year. Golfs also have a full size spare, but without an alloy wheel, so during my time in Boston Golfs with three alloys and one regular wheel gave a very good idea of the overall tyre damage due to construction. The lack of a spare and a jack kit in the model 3 is a major concern for me. Not because I am afraid that I won't have cell coverage, but because I don't want to wait 30-60 minutes for roadside assistance to show up. Yes, one can get a doughnut, a jack and Model 3 jack adapter as discussed here, but there is no dedicated space in the trunk for them and a spare would take 20% of the space. The frunk is too small for a spare. Common Tesla, redesign the frunk to fit a spare tyre. It seems useless anyway.

Common Tesla, redesign the frunk to fit a spare tyre. It seems useless anyway.
Not going to happen; industry wide trend is to eliminate spares. I will carry a pump/slime kit and repair plugs for everyday use. I will get a temp spare and jack for trips to remote areas of the west. Thin temporary spares don't take that much trunk space in my opinion. I have done the same for our current 2012 Mini and previous 2005 Mini which also did not come with a spares. Never actually had to use the spares in 13 years, but I have used the pump for a slow leak so I could drive to a tire shop for a fix.

The Model 3 does not come with run-flat tires. However, tires nowadays get far fewer flats than tires a few decades ago. Once upon a time, when I was younger, I actually was able to put on my spare tire, and had to do it from time to time. I think I've gotten one flat in the past decade. (I was also able to change my own oil. I can't change my oil anymore. ;) )
My feebility (my own creation) from sports injuries and vehicular accidents has rendered me useless for such endeavors, too. I just might have to grab the Tesla accessory (though it's probably not the most economical solution).

Does the car come with "run flat tires"? I just assumed they did since does not come with a spare. My 2003 Lexus SC430 came with run flat tires. My Model S recently got a nail (or something) and was loosing air. Took to American Tire and they fixed it quickly (for free).

Unfortunately, No. Personally I'd love to be able to purchase an optional expanding-spare (Like this) for long road-trips only, omitting it for in-town use. One of these would certainly use up less space and be easier to pack away.

Last edited:
I had a flat and bought some fix-a-flat to make it last until the shop but I was able to do so with just adding air. I'd still use the fix-a-flat in a pinch but note that when the shop patched the tire, they found that the tire has a sound deadening foam insert that could be additional trouble if you use sealant.

I keep in my cargo well:

1) electric air pump
2) telescopic lug wrench with 13/16 socket
3) Sissor jack
4) Hockey puck (modified to fit jack point)
5) Tire plug kit
6) Pliers (pull out nails and screws)

This was my kit for many cars regardless of whether I had a spare or not. It never let me down. :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not because I am afraid that I won't have cell coverage, but because I don't want to wait 30-60 minutes for roadside assistance to show up.

This is my position as well. Roadside assistance is always a huge hassle. I'd rather solve my own problem in 15 minutes and head to the tire shop. I've used my spare tire on my current car enough times in the last 6 years to be glad I have it.

That said, I don't really fault Tesla for foregoing the spare, and I was thinking of getting their kit as an alternative: Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

Although, this statement on their website in the tire repair kit description gives me pause:
"The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience."​

Does it mean the tire is no longer repairable? The TPMS sensor is no longer serviceable? How much does a TPMS sensor cost? Would be a shame to throw away a $300+ tire that only needs a plug.