Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tires - Fix yourself vs Roadside Assistance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using tire plug kits, should I also get a jack, jack stand, breaker bar, torque wrench, and a lug nut set for removing the tires?
I have all that stuff, but I keep it in the garage.

There's no need to remove the tire to use a plug. Just be careful not to bang your knuckles when you're removing the object from the tire, using the reaming tool, or placing the plug. ;)

A jack can be useful to increase the amount of room you have to work between the tire and wheel well, but it's not strictly required. Just position the hole so that it's between the contact patch and the wheel well so you're not space constrained.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
I have all that stuff, but I keep it in the garage.

There's no need to remove the tire to use a plug. Just be careful not to bang your knuckles when you're removing the object from the tire, using the reaming tool, or placing the plug. ;)

A jack can be useful to increase the amount of room you have to work between the tire and wheel well, but it's not strictly required. Just position the hole so that it's between the contact patch and the wheel well so you're not space constrained.

I can feel the pain from just seeing that.

So I would assume you would have to move the tire enough to be near the bottom of the ground (for rear tires), or turn the wheels to the outside (for front tires), and then do the tire plugging?

I bought a set of takeoffs before I got the car. I have been using that set as spares as I go through tire. Model 3 might be okay, but for people trying to plug the x. Prepare a workout as the tire is hard!
Think you might be the very special case where run flat tires makes sense. ;)

At the rate I am getting flats, no amount of run flats will help. I had a 2017 X before my 2019, same thing. To be fair, some of them I keep having to redo because the plug won't hold on such a big tire. I am very glad I bought that extra set of rims and tires take off a while back. Sure it mocks me every day in the garage, but I have used it multiple times already

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation
I can feel the pain from just seeing that.

So I would assume you would have to move the tire enough to be near the bottom of the ground (for rear tires), or turn the wheels to the outside (for front tires), and then do the tire plugging?
Yup, that would be the technique. I haven't had the need to actually try it out (knock on wood) but you got it.

It's also why I would recommend carrying a tarp along with all your other tire tools since wherever you need to stop, it's probably not going to be nice and clean.

Yup, that would be the technique. I haven't had the need to actually try it out (knock on wood) but you got it.

It's also why I would recommend carrying a tarp along with all your other tire tools since wherever you need to stop, it's probably not going to be nice and clean.

Good point on the tarp, I haven't thought of that. Looks like I need to take a trip to harbor freight to get everything I need.

ok, so I am following this because I found a tiny pinhole in my rear driver side tire. I never tried a patch kit, but what about the foam? Are people using a patch kit from the outside when it should be done from the inside with foam in the tire?
I am willing to try a patch kit, but all this talk about patching from the inside makes me wonder if using a patch kit is the wrong thing to do.
Two different Mavis locations will not patch a Tesla. One sounded completely out of touch with reality. I don't think anyone here knows what to do, or worse, they say they know and will fork it up.

I just did it, but prepare to man up as the tires might be much harder than normal.

ok, so I am following this because I found a tiny pinhole in my rear driver side tire. I never tried a patch kit, but what about the foam? Are people using a patch kit from the outside when it should be done from the inside with foam in the tire?
I am willing to try a patch kit, but all this talk about patching from the inside makes me wonder if using a patch kit is the wrong thing to do.
Two different Mavis locations will not patch a Tesla. One sounded completely out of touch with reality. I don't think anyone here knows what to do, or worse, they say they know and will fork it up.

This is where a jack comes in handy. You can jack up the car and put the awl tool into the tire then let the car down and let the wheel well push the tool into the tire. Then jack up, remove awl, insert plug tool and repeat.
I just had to do that on the wife's new Y. It picked up a very small cotter pin. The pin was easy to remove but left a very tiny hole that made it hard to plug. I should carry some rubber cement.

Ok this is a great thread. I didn't know how the rubber cement making it easier to insert.

Question for the group, what other tools should I have in the car? Flathead screw driver? Any wrench? I know keeping a 9v in your belongings will help you open the frunk in case of dead 12v. Does anyone actually practice that?