Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flimwell Supercharger - new parking fee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My other half noticed that there's a new sign up at the Flimwell Supercharger down in Sussex.

1674382387497.png

They've always had an ANPR system in place with an automated barrier to entry but this sign is, we think, new. To me the language is ambiguous as to whether Teslas charging will need to pay the parking fee.

Anyone know if we're expected to pay for parking? If not, I might try giving the company a call on Monday.

Reactions: Cnixon
I agree with @guru1 - a straight forward reading is that everyone pays to park unless they are dining at the named restaurant in which case they must register.

The above may breach the agreement the car park owners have with Tesla but that doesn’t mean that you can, in turn, breach the photographed terms.

I read it as you are not just parking while charging, it is charging so NOT parked. But as OP said it is ambiguous better to clarify.
Charging and parking are separate acts according to the sign wording. See, for example, the term “No parking permitted for any other reason” after discussing the EV bays and charging.

The sign is badly worded but a literal interpretation is clear (and contrary to all other similar sites). It would be best to flag this to Tesla.

Reactions: Cnixon
The sign is badly worded but a literal interpretation is clear (and contrary to all other similar sites). It would be best to flag this to Tesla.
It is badly worded, as most of them are. They seem to rely on ambiguity to cause people to pay up to avoid doubt or to threaten 'enforcement' if they don't.

Similarly, what does "Free parking while dining at the Cafe £4 per hour" mean?

I read it as you need to pay £4 per hour to use the car park (ridiculous price) and the charging bays can be used whilst charging and not for general parking. So you need to pay £4 to access the SuC. I'd have a word with the cafe as you may be able to register like other sites do. Otherwise i'd stay well away. Thankfully i'll probably never need to visit that establishment.

Reactions: scdoubleu
In order to form a contract there has to be a meeting of the minds - Ie a clear terms and conditions. To me the fact there is a full stop after the word "pay station and followed by the message about Tesla "when the vehicle is charging" the full stop disassociates the first paragraph about paying to park and suggests to me charging is not considered as parking and therefore no charge. I wouldn't be paying and If I received a parking notice I would simply ignore it until they issue proceedings in a court - and let the court decide if there was a clear contract and that I had breached it.
The wording is awful and obviously written by someone that has no knowledge of producing clear terms.

The sign also states they the company have no liability regarding any loss or damage to your vehicle when parked - The fact you pay to park means that the exclusion within their terms is unlawful and covered by the unfair contract terms Act - You cant charge and exclude any liability - when you charge and form a contract there is a duty of care - of course it has to be reasonable - they cant just charge and provide nothing, so if they have cameras etc - they have to provide you access to the footage if another driver bumps your car - if they have a camera covering that area, the area needs to be illuminated after dark, clear signage etc.

No 'full stop' after cafe on the sign so not certain it isn't part of the same sentence.

I'd refer you back to the ambiguity I mentioned in my post earlier and as evidenced by other posters too.
It’s on a new line in a different font and different size so I’d say that’s clear. Completely agree much of the rest of it ambiguous!

Helpful to know, but I am doubtful that their ANPR is going to tell if someone is parked to Park, or to Charge ... or Parked to Queue to Charge ...

true but this is also true of most ANPR controlled parking. They'll have to keep up - either expect every increasing EV owner to appeal and write off the charge, or update their systems to at least check who is parking in potentially subleased 'charging' spots.

In the absence of proper equipment to tell if you're charging or even in the EV bays they can't enforce charges on any EV on their premises?

Update: please no-one else call Total Parking as a result of this thread :)

I just called to ask Total Parking about this site, and apparently I wasn't the first to do so today! The folks on the phone aren't able to give a conclusive answer, firstly because no-one in that office was really sure, and secondly because they want everything to be communicated in writing for accountability - last thing anyone wants is to get in trouble for giving misleading advice. They said that they don't want to come across as rude or unhelpful, but there's really no answer that they can give, and they didn't relish the prospect of explaining that to lots of people as a result of this thread.

I was advised to email [email protected], which I'll do after posting this message. I'll update you if I hear anything back.

Update: please no-one else call Total Parking as a result of this thread :)

I just called to ask Total Parking about this site, and apparently I wasn't the first to do so today! The folks on the phone aren't able to give a conclusive answer, firstly because no-one in that office was really sure, and secondly because they want everything to be communicated in writing for accountability - last thing anyone wants is to get in trouble for giving misleading advice. They said that they don't want to come across as rude or unhelpful, but there's really no answer that they can give, and they didn't relish the prospect of explaining that to lots of people as a result of this thread.

I was advised to email [email protected], which I'll do after posting this message. I'll update you if I hear anything back.
Amazing, all of a sudden they don't to give misleading advice! 🤣🤣

It’s on a new line in a different font and different size so I’d say that’s clear. Completely agree much of the rest of it ambiguous!
That we see it differently is how ambiguity works.

They all do this so that they have something to hide behind. It's the same at our local (Bury) market. The parking attendant told me you don't need a parking ticket if you are using the chargers (Be.EV in this case), but nowhere on the signage does it confirm that fact.