Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah we're really stumped on why some people are getting incorrect frunks but we're going to either get everyone with the wrong frunks to swap (at our cost ofc!) or send new ones. For now, just keep the current ones to offer some protection until we figure the best solution.

Just received my Order #2896 for 2021 Model Y 5-seater, and pretty sure I received the wrong frunk mat and also wrong sub-trunk mat. So it looks like this is still happening where customers are getting incorrect frunk mat, plus incorrect sub-trunk mat in my case. I think I was shipped the Model 3 versions instead.

Regardless, I have sent you an email about my order with pictures. Thanks.

Just received my Order #2896 for 2021 Model Y 5-seater, and pretty sure I received the wrong frunk mat and also wrong sub-trunk mat. So it looks like this is still happening where customers are getting incorrect frunk mat, plus incorrect sub-trunk mat in my case. I think I was shipped the Model 3 versions instead.

Regardless, I have sent you an email about my order with pictures. Thanks.
That's pretty funny cause this happened to me but the total opposite and I didn't even place the order!

ORDER #2858, I got shipped - Tesla Model Y 2020-2021 Trunk and Frunk Mat Kit (5 seater) *Ships now* (20% off this month only!) × 1

I have a Model 3 and I had recently purchased the interior floor mats in August. I also email support to figure out what is going on!

@JCJiffy I also received my trunk and frunk mat kit but EDD of my Y isn't until later this month. Any suggestions on how to determine whether I received the correct mats or not?

1st pic is the Model Y (August 2021 build) frunk; the edge closest to tow hook is straight across. 2nd pic is the frunk mat I received from @TShieldDesigns @tshields ; it has a curved edge, which is to accommodate the shape of the Model 3 frunk instead. This does not properly fit Model Y; the mat in 2nd pic is actually not fully seated down flat.

Frunk Mat_1.JPEG Frunk Mat_2.JPEG

3rd pic below is the Model Y sub-trunk; it has straight edges with two top corners that are rounded. 4th pic is the sub-trunk mat I received; again, this is for the Model 3 instead. You can see it is not properly seated down into sub-trunk because the shape is not for Model Y.

Rear sub trunk_1.JPEG Rear sub trunk_2.JPEG

1st pic is the Model Y (August 2021 build) frunk; the edge closest to tow hook is straight across. 2nd pic is the frunk mat I received from @TShieldDesigns @tshields ; it has a curved edge, which is to accommodate the shape of the Model 3 frunk instead. This does not properly fit Model Y; the mat in 2nd pic is actually not fully seated down flat.

View attachment 706700 View attachment 706701

3rd pic below is the Model Y sub-trunk; it has straight edges with two top corners that are rounded. 4th pic is the sub-trunk mat I received; again, this is for the Model 3 instead. You can see it is not properly seated down into sub-trunk because the shape is not for Model Y.

View attachment 706709
Just received my Model y and saw this post. My frunk and trunk mats also do not fit properly. Looks like I got the Model 3 frunk and sub trunk mats.

Last edited:

View attachment 706700 View attachment 706701

View attachment 706709 View attachment 706710
I was sent the wrong ones as well. Thanks for the heads up and the assist @JCJiffy!

@tshields how would you like to handle this?

Reactions: Y-canor
@TShieldDesigns Sent email, posted here and still not getting any replies as to what you think it wrong with my mats and why I have big gaps in ALL of the mats?
More than likely, and I believe I have said this previously on many occasions, your tesla may be one of the few that suffer from quality control issues. If our mats did not fit properly in general, we'd be seeing a thousand orders getting refunded. So far, we've had maybe a 4% return rate, mostly due to preorder/backorder cancellations and a fraction of those being due to fit. We even have had a couple people with issues regarding fit that were due to user error or just needing some adjustments. We can send you another set if you would like to try that, but if they also do not fit, I have to say it is probably car related.

Who are you emailing? Jason (Support@) should be on top of this if you reached out to him. I may have missed your email if you sent one to me as I am all over the place working on shipments and production while still recovering a bit from pneumonia. Sorry if I missed you.

Last edited:
Teslashields replied to my email that they are aware of the issues. They said they will be sending replacements/correct mats once they are sure the problem is fixed. Hopefully that's not too long.
Yep. Just to make sure it wasn't some other error, we had a shipment air-mailed to Jason and he is going to personally be sending out the replacements to everyone. I believe they are already awaiting delivery as I had to approve a customs release for air cargo the other day.

Reactions: kbmoon
More than likely, and I believe I have said this previously on many occasions, your tesla may be one of the few that suffer from quality control issues. If our mats did not fit properly in general, we'd be seeing a thousand orders getting refunded. So far, we've had maybe a 4% return rate, mostly due to preorder/backorder cancellations and a fraction of those being due to fit. We even have had a couple people with issues regarding fit that were due to user error or just needing some adjustments. We can send you another set if you would like to try that, but if they also do not fit, I have to say it is probably car related.

Who are you emailing? Jason (Support@) should be on top of this if you reached out to him. I may have missed your email if you sent one to me as I am all over the place working on shipments and production while still recovering a bit from pneumonia. Sorry if I missed you.
Emails are sent to - [email protected].

Honestly I see the same gaps in most of the pictures people post, so maybe my quality expectations are higher than other peoples. I'm not prepared to flatten out the mats to make the gaps go away was the idea of deep lipped mats is to catch all the snow when it comes to winter, and the mats haven't relaxed to fit, so I'm thinking they are the shape the are supposed to be.

I don't think there is any point sending another set if you think the production control of your mats is good enough that the next set would be exactly the same dimensions.

Reactions: TShieldDesigns
Emails are sent to - [email protected].

Honestly I see the same gaps in most of the pictures people post, so maybe my quality expectations are higher than other peoples. I'm not prepared to flatten out the mats to make the gaps go away was the idea of deep lipped mats is to catch all the snow when it comes to winter, and the mats haven't relaxed to fit, so I'm thinking they are the shape the are supposed to be.

I don't think there is any point sending another set if you think the production control of your mats is good enough that the next set would be exactly the same dimensions.
Hmm. I am not aware of any widespread issues with lip gaps, etc. If you would like me to check in on that, I am happy to do so, but I need more than a handful of data points from the hundreds to thousands of mats delivered to be able to do such a thing. If I cannot recreate the issue being mentioned, I need to be able to see enough reports to know there is something. So far I see reviews claiming the fits are great, perfect, best on market, etc and outside of this thread and a few sparse orders, I really have nothing to work with. Also, Jason is the customer service side (support@) of the business, and I haven't heard a peep about any design issues outside of a random case here or there.

If anyone here has, or knows of someone with, any issues with the fit, minor or otherwise, please reach out to me at [email protected]. This kind of data is extremely important to me. In fact, I may ask Jason to create a dedicated thread on here and hopefully a submission system on our website where I can collect customer input in order to improve the mats.

I will admit my head might be too close to the grindstone due to the requirements of building up this business to support the sudden high demand on our production and supply chain, so any outside eyes on this will help tremendously. It's still just me and Jason running the place; outside of 3rd party support services, we have no other employees or partners currently. It's a ton of work, but that won't excuse us ignoring big picture problems that arise.

Last edited:
Hmm. I am not aware of any widespread issues with lip gaps, etc. If you would like me to check in on that, I am happy to do so, but I need more than a handful of data points from the hundreds to thousands of mats delivered to be able to do such a thing. If I cannot recreate the issue being mentioned, I need to be able to see enough reports to know there is something. So far I see reviews claiming the fits are great, perfect, best on market, etc and outside of this thread and a few sparse orders, I really have nothing to work with. Also, Jason is the customer service side (support@) of the business, and I haven't heard a peep about any design issues outside of a random case here or there.

If anyone here has, or knows of someone with, any issues with the fit, minor or otherwise, please reach out to me at [email protected]. This kind of data is extremely important to me. In fact, I may ask Jason to create a dedicated thread on here and hopefully a submission system on our website where I can collect customer input in order to improve the mats.

I will admit my head might be too close to the grindstone due to the requirements of building up this business to support the sudden high demand on our production and supply chain, so any outside eyes on this will help tremendously. It's still just me and Jason running the place; outside of 3rd party support services, we have no other employees or partners currently. It's a ton of work, but that won't excuse us ignoring big picture problems that arise.
You said you were going to check in to it the day I originally posted, yet here we are 6 weeks later and you are acting like it’s the first you’ve heard about it.
I get that you’re a small outfit and I like the mats except for the fit is just not great in my case.
Good luck going forward, I’ll end this conversation as it doesn’t look like there is anything more to say.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ucsdsig