Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flooring it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
super random question. and yes, i did search the forums and didn't find anything about it.

Is there any detriment to 'flooring it' ? Beside using battery? Sounds stupid, but i'd like to show my buddies what this car can do by flooring it (safely) at a stoplight or service road...but i don't want to harm the vehicle. Just curious as to yall's thoughts. Thanks!

super random question. and yes, i did search the forums and didn't find anything about it.

Is there any detriment to 'flooring it' ? Beside using battery? Sounds stupid, but i'd like to show my buddies what this car can do by flooring it (safely) at a stoplight or service road...but i don't want to harm the vehicle. Just curious as to yall's thoughts. Thanks!

Unleashing a lot of torque, instantly and repeated, could cause issues longer-term (stress and strain). You do have an 8 year warranty, however.

Last edited:
You won't hurt it.

Both your Tesla and every ICE car you've ever driven has been engineered to last with the factory power levels. Some make an argument for shorter lifespan, but that something I've never seen. On an ICE car maintenance seems to matter far more than driving habits, which isn't something that should affect your Model 3.

Tire life is another thing, though. I love to accelerate, but try to limit full throttle to higher speeds when the motor lacks the torque to break the rear tires free. Riding the hairy edge of available traction is pretty rough on tread life.

If you want to play, you need to pay.

Model 3 is well designed, and the off the line acelleration is less than in the Model S. It should hold up well to frequent full throttle launches, but your tire wear will be significantly increased.

Go ahead and have fun. The electric motors do not present the shock loads you see with ICE drivelines.

Reactions: SoccerMan94043
Electric motors can deliver tremendous amounts of torque, in a smooth flow. No shock to the driveline.

ICE vehicles deliver not only tremendous shock, due to driveline tolerances, but also constant pulses of shocks due to the individual explosions in each cylinder. Each shift also releases and then reapplies the torque.

ICE vehicles have lots of shock, as it goes from 0 torque to max torque. At zero torque there is always some play in the transmission (each gear) the drive shaft, the gears in the differential, the half shafts and various U bolts. In an electric system all these systems can be easily and simply pre-loaded with micro torque, so when the pedal is pressed all the torque is delivered smoothly, with no impact.

Easy to see. You put an ICE vehicle up on a jack and wiggle the rear tire back and forth. You can feel the amount of driveline slack in your hands.

Worst possible case was when we were kids. We would put our car into reverse and go backwards. Then suddenly shift into drive and we could snap the rear tires enough to lay a nice patch. Pretty fun, but often disasterous.

You can still see the same thing when an ICE car lines up at the drags. If they do not preload the driveline with a little torque, often drivelines will break on the launch. The second most frequent cause of driveline breakage or a drag car going off line is when it violently shifts into second gear. Those lower gears multiply the torque to get the car underway, and the stresses can be violent.

By comparison, a single speed EV will just smoothly launch down the track with smooth acceleration and little breaking of traction.

Unleashing a lot of torque, instantly and repeated, could cause issues longer-term (stress and strain). You do have an 8 year warranty, however.

It's very doubtful that using the full torque of the electric motors necessarily deteriorates anything other than your tire life. The one thing it does do is make for at least somewhat less efficiency of acceleration. While electric vehicles are much more efficient than internal combustion engine vehicles at Full Throttle, where their mileage can be under 1 mile per gallon in a quarter mile, EVs still have to obey the basic physical rule that all that extra amperage running through the lines creates heat in both the motor and the battery. And that extra heat of course comes from what else but the electricity in your battery pack. So to make a long story short, flooring it is far less wasteful in electric vehicle than in an ICE vehicle, but you're still using more energy to get to 60 miles an hour then you would use in chill mode for example.

But aside from that, I doubt very much that you're putting any kind of serious wear and tear on your drivetrain components other than of course accelerating the wear on your tires, and possibly needing to use friction brakes more than you might otherwise. But that's a small cost relative to the absolute cratering of gas mileage that you would see in an internal combustion engine.

Reactions: bigroo42