Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fob recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am STILL having problems with our model s recognizing our two driver profiles.
the last we heard from our maintenance guy at the store was to re-enter our profiles and link them to our separate fobs again. that didn't work.
I was really hoping the update to the software last night would fix it but it didn't.
any suggestions from you folks?

I am STILL having problems with our model s recognizing our two driver profiles.
the last we heard from our maintenance guy at the store was to re-enter our profiles and link them to our separate fobs again. that didn't work.
I was really hoping the update to the software last night would fix it but it didn't.
I'm still finding it a bit hit and miss

What my wife and I have done is just assign my profile to automatically load - having longer legs than her, it enables me to get in the car - also her too. She doesn't mind changing the profile manually - after all, the rear view mirror doesn't move by itself.....

What issues are you having? With me, if the other key fob is near the car (but in the house) its 50/50 on which it will set to. But other then that, it works great.

I also set an "Exit" profile to move the seat back and up so its easier to get out.

It's not clear what problem you are having.

Are the profiles not working when manually selected?
Or is the problem that the profiles are not linked to the keys?
If associated with the keys being linked and profiles not correctly activating, is only one key near the car and it is not linking?

The problem I have is as follows:

Wife drives car, parks in garage and comes into the house. The car automatically locks.

I approach the car, the handles present, but the profile stays on my wife's.

However, if when exiting the car she locks the door with the fob, then when I approach and open the door, the profile switches to mine and the seat adjusts.

So self locking is not the same as manual lock.

It's a bug to be added to a very lengthy list...

How far is far enough?

The car is is on the first floor and my wife's purse is on the second floor about 10' above the car and 10' laterally, so maybe only 10' in total as the RF travels.
That should be plenty. I was talking a few feet in my case. What about trying without the battery in one just to see? Maybe set one without the battery in the other and then program the other key.

How far is far enough?

The car is is on the first floor and my wife's purse is on the second floor about 10' above the car and 10' laterally, so maybe only 10' in total as the RF travels.

My X responds with parking lights on, but no unlock, just from my walking around on the second floor with the fob in my pocket. Not directly over the garage, but close. Pretty much like your wife's purse. Your car could easily be seeing your wife's key. Experiment with it farther away. Though it would be strange to set the profile from the fob that did not unlock the car.

The fob profile feature is half functional or half buggy... depending on how you look at a glass that is semi-filled with liquid.

Often times, the car will reconfigure to my fob settings when I jump in ... but leave the mirrors folded... A remnant of her profile. But my profile is showing as active on the console. Mirrors must stay folded because I have turned off mirror folding for my profile, and I guess it's respecting that. But I gotta manually unfold the mirrors (again). Getting old. Sanity workaround suggestion: if one person has mirror folding enabled, then all people should enable mirror folding in their profile too. I'm trying to convince her to turn off auto-folding. She's winning.

Sometimes car gets into a fob war inside the car... I hop out of driver's seat to do something while she's remaining seated in passenger side.. and car starts configuring to her profile when I jump back in ... gotta stop that nonsense by finding my profile on the console again and punch it. We both carry fobs Tesla - figure a way to deal with this! Here's an idea for software: Don't reconfigure the car unless all fobs are seen to leave the car.

The fob profile feature is half functional or half buggy... depending on how you look at a glass that is semi-filled with liquid.

Sometimes car gets into a fob war inside the car... I hop out of driver's seat to do something while she's remaining seated in passenger side.. and car starts configuring to her profile when I jump back in ... gotta stop that nonsense by finding my profile on the console again and punch it. We both carry fobs Tesla - figure a way to deal with this! Here's an idea for software: Don't reconfigure the car unless all fobs are seen to leave the car.

I've also experienced the "fob wars", and I'm about 7" taller than my wife! Not a general rule, but I'm going with "half buggy"!

I'm going with half-functional vote.

They just haven't implemented a rule that would kill fob wars: Don't reconfigure the car unless all fobs are seen to leave the car.

Also, half-functional because... not all profile-able settings are captured within the profile. EVERY car setting should be captured in the profile. Period. How you last left the settings saved in your profile is how you should find the car next time you drive it.

I'm going to go a little further and say..... EVERY car setting and the entire current dynamic state of the car (as it was when parked) should be captured and saved, and resumed when that same profile next drives the car. This would take care of things like "mirrors not folding out" problem I mentioned above... and allow different fob/profiles to enjoy the freedom and experience of different settings that just work well ... for any combination of driver preferences.

Easy peasy. C'mon Tesla!

Last edited:
Ours fobs are flaky, as well. Good to know a manual press, to unlock, can trigger a profile change that didn't happen automatically.

I also have programmed an 'Exit' setting.

Pretty sure door-mounted seat memory would be forward progress.

The problem I have is as follows:

Wife drives car, parks in garage and comes into the house. The car automatically locks.

I approach the car, the handles present, but the profile stays on my wife's.

However, if when exiting the car she locks the door with the fob, then when I approach and open the door, the profile switches to mine and the seat adjusts.

So self locking is not the same as manual lock.

It's a bug to be added to a very lengthy list...