Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it seems that Tesla and Fobo are in conversation now...should be good!
-------------------------
Also, There now is a MUCH better way to handle Tesla audio..Uuser majorlance has created a simple script (for Mac) that you just run, after setting up a playlist folder in iTunes, and it gives you named playlists with track info, removes unplayable files, renamees files with unallowable characters, and puts it all on your flash drive. His clever trick is to store the playlist name in the "genre" field, to get around the loss of track info in folders...(a little more complicated if you have lossless audio tracks, but not too bad)
So you get higher quality audio than bluetooth, with all the track info, in a couple of easy (really) steps...
I now have 18,000 tunes in my car, nearly filling a 128GB flash drive, and can update it in minutes whenever I want to....
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/43914-Easy-iTunes-playlist...

Folks - two updates:

1. Fobo needs your help. They believe that the issue might be iPhone 6 related. Does anyone out there have an iPhone 5 that they could use to stream audio to the Tesla and see if there is interference?

2. Tesla is now in discussion with Apple about the issue - it may be unrelated to Fobotire, and instead, be a Bluetooth 4/iPhone 6/Tesla issue. So all the right people are involved, and they know that they need to solve it for more than just Fobotire.

Folks - two updates:

1. Fobo needs your help. They believe that the issue might be iPhone 6 related. Does anyone out there have an iPhone 5 that they could use to stream audio to the Tesla and see if there is interference?

2. Tesla is now in discussion with Apple about the issue - it may be unrelated to Fobotire, and instead, be a Bluetooth 4/iPhone 6/Tesla issue. So all the right people are involved, and they know that they need to solve it for more than just Fobotire.
Knock on wood, but I haven't had any skipping / stuttering problem since the most recent Fobo upgrade (iPhone 6).

Test results for iPhone 6 & iPhone 5:

As I mentioned in previous post, I have been having bad skipping/stuttering on my iPhone 6 listening through bluetooth with Fobo sensors on my Model S. Today I loaded & reactivated the Fobo Tire app on my previous iPhone 5 and listened to a podcast that had been skipping regularly on my new phone. Both phones are running IOS 8.2. NO skipping on iPhone 5 during an hour of listening. Reactivated Fobo app on iPhone 6 & listened to same podcast; skipping started immediately. So it does seem to affect only the iPhone 6, not the 5, at least for me.

Car is P85, delivered December 2013, running firmware 6.1 (2.2.115). I am upgrading to 6.2 later tonight.

Hope this datapoint helps. Let me know if further details needed.

Les- fobo requests that you try this and let us know!!
----------------
Is possible please ask Les Mann to do one step at a time.

1. Upgrade Tesla firmware to 6.2 and try. Don’t update iPhone iOS firmware to 8.3
2. If problem still persist, update iOS firm to 8.3 then try again.

Les- fobo requests that you try this and let us know!!
----------------
Is possible please ask Les Mann to do one step at a time.

1. Upgrade Tesla firmware to 6.2 and try. Don’t update iPhone iOS firmware to 8.3
2. If problem still persist, update iOS firm to 8.3 then try again.

I am happy to report my test results:

1. Upgraded Tesla to 6.2, left iPhone on IOS 8.2. No change, bluetooth still skipping every few minutes.

2 Upgraded iPhone to 8.3 (still on Tesla 6.2), no more skipping! Caveat: I have only listened for about an hour, intermittently, so will continue testing for a day or two. But it sure looks promising!

What's the general consensus? Does this work well? Can you get away with the 50psi model if running 19's? Do you guys prefer this product over using TPMS? I'm looking to buy a set of Rial Luganos, but the TPMS for them is $320. Am I better off with Fobo? Will I have a warning on the Tesla dash all the time? Thanks

Yes, you'll have a warning on the dash all the time (well sometimes it doesn't pop up until after you've driven ~25km).

Personally I'd much prefer a psi readout over an "idiot light" on the dash. In fact this might just be the justification to purchase a fobo since I don't have tpms in my winter tires. Thanks!

What's the general consensus? Does this work well? Can you get away with the 50psi model if running 19's? Do you guys prefer this product over using TPMS? I'm looking to buy a set of Rial Luganos, but the TPMS for them is $320. Am I better off with Fobo? Will I have a warning on the Tesla dash all the time? Thanks

I wouldn't. You'll overshoot 50 psi all the time and that could damage it as pressure sensors are not designed to take more pressure than they can register. Even a 60 psi seems as if it was designed for a 35 psi tire.

I have had no problems during the month or so I've had the Fobo sensors on my P85 with 19s set at 45psi cold. Might be a good question to raise with Fobo for a definitive answer.

BTW, I can now confirm, after several hours of testing, that there have been no instances of bluetooth skipping/stuttering using my iPhone 6 with IOS 8.3 & Tesla firmware 6.2 (2.4.153). Problem does seem fulling resolved.