Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks renting out their cars in Turo - Please lower your price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a weird point. I don't want to rent my car on Turo as I don't need the extra cash nor do I want to deal with managing a side hustle.
And a lot of the owners that do rent out have similar reasons for keeping the price high. So not a weird point. No one owes a low price. If they don't want to hassle with rentals unless they're receiving a certain amount, it's valid to keep the price high. Basically, 'if you don't like the price, don't rent it'.

However, if you want to see the prices lower, you can start that ball rolling by putting your S out there at a nice low price. Then others will be encouraged to lower their prices, just to stay in range.

However, if you want to see the prices lower, you can start that ball rolling by putting your S out there at a nice low price. Then others will be encouraged to lower their prices, just to stay in range.

I would love to see lower Turo prices for selfish reasons. I’m taking the family to Las Vegas and the canyons next month and would much rather have a Model X to drive than a crappy rental Hyundai. Plus it would soften up my wife to go looking to buy one. ;)

It’s called a free market for a reason, though. The market is gonna do what the market does. If you want lower prices, lower your prices.

I really don't think those prices reflect what the market will bear. I check most weeks and most of those cars are available every week. And most Tesla cars have less than 10 reviews. There are Model 3s listed for $200/day, and not surprisingly those cars have no trips yet. I just calculated that renting a Model X from Turo for 4 days, with over 1000 miles of driving will cost me over $1000. Compare that to the Enterprise cost for Ford Explorer for the same 4 days is $250. I know Model X is a premium car, but that is 4x the cost.

I understand most owners are listing their cars for extra cash and not really focused on Turo as a legitimate source of income. But it seems to me that a massive opportunity is missed here.

Keep in mind that a low trip count can be misleading. Multi-week rentals count as a single trip. My Model X is currently being rented out for a month, so it won’t appear in search listings for trip requests for the next couple of weeks, and it will have a low trip count relative to the total time it’s been available on Turo.

Also consider that many rentals are booked at the last minute, so checking availability more than a week beyond the current date is not necessarily a good indicator of demand for that vehicle.

I can confirm that $140 - 150 / day for Model X in SoCal is what the market will bear.

I have 20" Contis as well. The outer edge of my fronts is pretty flat and the inner edge of my rear tires. The front overall tread is pretty close to finished though.
I've counteracted the flat outer edges by riding in very low for the last several thousand miles as the camber changes.

My last Tesla visit everything came back at normal tread depths, even though the sipes are largely worn away. This is why my next tire will be something with "full tread depth" so it's safe the entire life of the tire.

At the moment my tire is no longer the safest with water on the road, and is best designed as a summer tire on dry roads...kinda like a slick with grooves.

@dmode - would you even consider renting out your S for $50 a day with unlimited mileage? Then give a large chunk of that money to the Turn?

People will pay relatively large amounts to rent something like a Model X for a one-off day e.g. wedding car, birthday present etc. It has that sort of novelty factor going for it.

I've counteracted the flat outer edges by riding in very low for the last several thousand miles as the camber changes.

My last Tesla visit everything came back at normal tread depths, even though the sipes are largely worn away. This is why my next tire will be something with "full tread depth" so it's safe the entire life of the tire.

At the moment my tire is no longer the safest with water on the road, and is best designed as a summer tire on dry roads...kinda like a slick with grooves.
I actually keep my suspension on Low most of the time too. Tire pressures are right as well.

That's a weird point. I don't want to rent my car on Turo as I don't need the extra cash nor do I want to deal with managing a side hustle.

Its not weird in response to your perspective on the market. If you're claiming it should be cheaper and people are essentially overcharging, they are making reference to your ownership being the baseline for your thoughts. If you were to rent, it sounds like you would rent below market value....

I have to agree, given the rental market doesn't support the logic and pricing shared in the original post.

I have 20-inch wheels with Continenals. Only about 1/3 of our driving is highway. Perhaps the 22-inch set-up is where the treads don't last?

I think its driving style. I have a 22" setup; use the lowest setting, (and have a 1" drop from unplugged) and approx 15K in mileage logged. My tires are about 1/3 worn and perfect across the entire tread (no to or camber wear). I have a P100DX, for frame of reference...the heaviest version.

Its worth noting that I had an MS for 3 years prior and it went 30K miles before a tire change was necessary. That was a set of 22" tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
I think its driving style. I have a 22" setup; use the lowest setting, (and have a 1" drop from unplugged) and approx 15K in mileage logged. My tires are about 1/3 worn and perfect across the entire tread (no to or camber wear). I have a P100DX, for frame of reference...the heaviest version.

Its worth noting that I had an MS for 3 years prior and it went 30K miles before a tire change was necessary. That was a set of 22" tires.
epic, i've been wanting to get those drop links/brackets from unplugged, how's ride comfort?

leveraging a joke often attributed to Mark Twain or Winston Churchill said:
If I offered you $1 million per day, would you rent it to me? I'm guessing you probably would.

So, now we've established that you have a price for which you'd rent your car, let's discuss why your price is so high.

The thing that I don't think you are getting about the prices on Turo is that most of them are not renting on there as a business, they are renting them at their "I'm not jumping at the chance, but if someone came along and offered me $X, then sure, what the heck, I'd rent it" price, which happens to be $200/day for many of them. If they needed to "make money" then market forces would affect them differently, but they are looking to get some easy cash only if someone is willing to pony up for their sensibiilities of what they'd allow to happen with their car.

My "what the heck" price wouldn't be as low as theirs (but probably a lot less than $1 million/day) so I'm not listing mine. Maybe $1,000/day for me to part with it? (Now you see why I don't list mine...)

What price would you list yours for, to push you over the edge of not needing the extra cash, but "what the heck"?

Reactions: gavine
I can confirm that $140 - 150 / day for Model X in SoCal is what the market will bear.
Nailed it. My X rents for about 10-12 days a month at about $150-160 a day. With the weekly discount, and Turo's cut, I might earn $110 a day.

I'm guessing the OP wants to pay $100 a day for 200 miles? That would earn me 37 cents a mile for a $100k-120K vehicle. Good luck with that! After my monthly payment, depreciation, tire wear, Uber costs for vehicle drop off, time/cost to detail before each rental, I'd be losing money.

If you watched the recent video of a guy renting a Tesla for 6 hours to make a video of him eating a messy In and Out hamburger fries and a couple drinks.

Put the rental car on autopilot and proceeded to eat the huge messy burger, getting food all over the place and showing off driving hands off while watching himself on the video monitor.

Makes me wonder why anyone would even consider renting out their beloved Tesla, especially to some fresh kid.

If you watched the recent video of a guy renting a Tesla for 6 hours to make a video of him eating a messy In and Out hamburger fries and a couple drinks.

Put the rental car on autopilot and proceeded to eat the huge messy burger, getting food all over the place and showing off driving hands off while watching himself on the video monitor.

Makes me wonder why anyone would even consider renting out their beloved Tesla, especially to some fresh kid.

I suppose if it came down to being able to afford a Tesla or not being able to afford one I may consider rental. Our neighbours used to rent out a room in their house for B&B so they could afford to live in a bigger house, so I guess it's a similar thing. Personally it's not for me!

I have an S, and I wanted to take the extended family on a road trip to Los Angeles next weekend. Wanted to rent an X from Turo, but the prices are out of control. $150-200/day with 200 miles of daily driving included. An SUV ICE rental costs $50/day with unlimited miles. I can't imagine a lot of people renting at that price point.

$150 is out of control? That’s one hell of a bargain for me to do launches at every stop light and burn off half the life of the tires in a day.

Why people rent out their cars is beyond me.