Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread got lame. i kinda liked it before. people are arguing about an unknown.
Questions:
If they were to offer a perf upgrade, but not quite as fast as the p3d-, would AWD people go for it?

Or, if they offered a perf upgrade that brought you to today's p3d- performance, and they handed the p3d- people a little more perf for free. i.e. 2.9seconds 0-60, and the awd perf upgrade option gets, 3.2seconds 0-60. would the awd people be upset? or totally fine?

the reason I ask, do you want to equal the p3d-, or do you want to just have more umph off the line, but doesn't HAVE to be exactly the same as p3d-?

I think it depends on details and pricing...

If I needed P3D- speeds I'd have bought one in the first place... but given 99% of my driving is highway and it's already rare I'm at a stoplight, rarer still I'm first at one, and exceedingly rare I'm first at one next to another car remotely as fast as any Tesla, I really don't need that.

If they offered a significant performance upgrade (like 3.5 or better) relatively cheap I might still do it for those super rare occasions or just when showing the car off to someone else... but it sure wasn't worth the 11k extra it would've cost me at purchase time. If buying today I'd certainly pay the 2k current difference though.

I don't really care if at the same time P3D owners got to go even faster or not- I mean all 3s are slow compared to a P100D so who cares? Someones always faster... (even those P100D owners'll have to yield to 2nd gen roadsters eventually)

So, I waited two days, and several different drives, before posting this...

Unlike any prior firmware updates, I noticed what thought was more power, and smoother consistent power, since 2019.32 was installed - almost like my LR AWD got a "Stealth" M3P- upgrade... :eek::D For a second, I thought, "Did all of those calls, petitions, emails and messages to Tesla work"? Can't be, right? Must be in my head... but why didn't this feeling happen with prior updates if it were all in my head? :confused: Anyway, my M3 feels like it pulls a lot harder, and for longer, since the 2019.32 update... :D:cool: Anyone else notice this on there LR AWD, or any M3 for that matter? o_O My build was 6/19...

Butt dynos are notoriously unreliable.

I know and I admitted such. What I find odd is I didn’t get the same tingle in my loin after any prior updates, just this one.

I think there's an ointment for that now...

Perhaps Tesla remapped the pedal to power algorithm or something; hence my request to others now on 2019.32. Are you?

Still on 28.3.1 and haven't noticed any change.

There's quite a few AWD owners with draggy on here though and haven't seen any reports of a change. That, and Tesla invariably announces when they increase power or performance via an OTA update and haven't done so here... (they're less vocal about times they've allegedly reduced it :p)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
the reason I ask, do you want to equal the p3d-, or do you want to just have more umph off the line, but doesn't HAVE to be exactly the same as p3d-?
Well, we always want a little more, no? but I'm ok with a distinction with the P.

I bought the AWD for the trailer hitch (for bikes). One month later I could have bought the exactly same car, at the same price, with a P badge :)

Unlike any prior firmware updates, I noticed what thought was more power, and smoother consistent power, since 2019.32 was installed - almost like my LR AWD got a "Stealth" M3P- upgrade... :eek::D For a second, I thought, "Did all of those calls, petitions, emails and messages to Tesla work"? Can't be, right? Must be in my head... but why didn't this feeling happen with prior updates if it were all in my head? :confused: Anyway, my M3 feels like it pulls a lot harder, and for longer, since the 2019.32 update... :D:cool: Anyone else notice this on there LR AWD, or any M3 for that matter? o_O My build was 6/19...
I had to go do a little driving after reading this.. 2019.32 is about the same for me. But I did manage to get a new personal best on one run. Screenshot_20190829-225811_dragy.jpg

• Informative
I decided that I’ll send tweets on a semi-regular basis in the off chance one of them makes it through. Last time I suggested an actual price in a tweet, some people freaked out, so I was a bit more vague this time:

@tesla @elonmusk An easy way for several million in revenue would be to offer a software-based performance upgrade for a few thousand $ to LR AWD Model 3 owners. It’d be just like buying AP or FSD after the initial purchase.

Woah. My LR AWD has been in a detail shop all week getting PPF and Ceramic coating. Getting it back today and I assume I will get the 2019.32 update once I get it home and connected to wifi. You can confirm or shoot down your theory fairly easily. Have a passenger video the mph and find a safe place to floor it 0-60. Use the video timestamps on the phone when the mph changes to 1 and changes to 60 to figure out your 0-60 time.

Woah. My LR AWD has been in a detail shop all week getting PPF and Ceramic coating. Getting it back today and I assume I will get the 2019.32 update once I get it home and connected to wifi. You can confirm or shoot down your theory fairly easily. Have a passenger video the mph and find a safe place to floor it 0-60. Use the video timestamps on the phone when the mph changes to 1 and changes to 60 to figure out your 0-60 time.
That's a notoriously inaccurate method of timing 0-60. Will get you a close number, but if you are off 0.2 secs that is a big error making the value meaningless.

That's a notoriously inaccurate method of timing 0-60. Will get you a close number, but if you are off 0.2 secs that is a big error making the value meaningless.
Just thought it would be an easy and fast way to prove/disprove the theory.
No. You got a 7500 tax credit. Price is about the same taking that into account.

Not to go too off topic but, if you mean the prior LR AWD pricing and current stealth performance pricing are the same - correct. Unless you happened to purchase a multi-coat pearl white, but that's a different reason.

Here is what I paid for LR AWD in October 2018
$62,200 Car Price (EAP+19" Wheels+MSM Paint)
+$2,000 FSD Upgrade
-$7500 Tax Credit
==========
$56,700

Current "stealth" Performance
$58,490 Car Price (FSD+19" Wheels+MSM Paint)
-$1875 Tax Credit
===========
$56,615

Current "real" Performance
$62,990 Car Price (FSD+19" Wheels+MSM Paint)
-$1875 Tax Credit
===========
$61,115

It was $11,000 for the performance upgrade when i bought my car and that was too rich for my blood. But for $4,415 more for 20" wheels, better brakes, and an extra second+ of performance I wouldn't have even questioned it.

Bringing it back to this thread though, the difference in price for my car as it sits at 4.4 seconds 0-60 and today's stealth performance 3.2 seconds 0-60 is exactly $85. Even with that being said, I would happily pay up to $3,000 to get a performance speed increase - early adopter fee and all that mumbo jumbo.

If I needed P3D- speeds I'd have bought one in the first place... but given 99% of my driving is highway and it's already rare I'm at a stoplight, rarer still I'm first at one, and exceedingly rare I'm first at one next to another car remotely as fast as any Tesla, I really don't need that.

Spot on. Whenever anyone asks how fast my car is, I preface it by saying “keep in mind, I went cheap and didn’t get the performance model ... so it’s a dirt-slow 4.0 zero-to-60.”

Anyone who actually understands what that means cracks a big smile. For under $50k, that’s an insane number.

To clarify, the first Vette to break sub-4.0 was the 2006 Z06... which stickered at over $64k. Accounting for inflation, that’s over $81,000 in 2019 dollars.

So, suffice it to say, I have NO need for a Performance edition. My lowly AWD is just fine.

(Heck, I wheel-spun my wife’s Buick Enclave yesterday - first time I’ve driven ICE in over a month ... oops.)

Haven't been able to "play" with this update yet on my car.

As soon as it finished installing, I loaded the dogs and my 7 1/2 month pregnant wife into the car for a 2 1/2 hour drive to Maine.

I value my interior and sanity too much to have performed "butt dyno" testing. LOL

if it doesn't rain, I AM taking it to the drag strip next Wednesday.

Haven't been able to "play" with this update yet on my car.

As soon as it finished installing, I loaded the dogs and my 7 1/2 month pregnant wife into the car for a 2 1/2 hour drive to Maine.

I value my interior and sanity too much to have performed "butt dyno" testing. LOL

if it doesn't rain, I AM taking it to the drag strip next Wednesday.

Have fun! We look forward to seeing your times!

Awesome, should I submit Tesla a bill for $3,580 because according to my taxes and wallet I only got a $3,920 credit.
Wow, I want to be in your shoes. You are one of the few Tesla owners who does not have a large income tax liability.
In your case then I would be a little miffed. In mine, I'm good. I do wish I could get the basic autopilot that everyone gets now, without spending 3K for EAP.