Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone clarify what the "unique inverter" they are talking about in the article? That doesn't make sense since various people had AWD model 3s flashed to P3D- cars.

And the actual PN in the catalog has been the same since launch too.

It says "Tesla" responded as their source but it's unclear if they mean "Official corporate statement" or "Rando level 1 support guy on chat"

Reactions: phantasms
Refresh my memory, what does track mode due? Only available on the full (and not “-“) M3P version, due to hardware being involved?
It now is on P- cars, as well. P- being exactly a D, physically. Hardware isn’t an issue.

1) Regen increased by 50%.
2) Gives more leeway in slip angle before reducing drive power.
3) More aggressive and pro-active cooling of the drivetrain, using the Supercan, to avoid power limiting from heat. This is a big one if you’re going to truly use that extra P power curve, as any time you’re @ 60 mph or below you can push 30% more power through. At a minimum that’s 30% more heat, and likely above that because of being near current limits.
4) More aggressive use of brakes to vector torque.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
It now is on P- cars, as well. P- being exactly a D, physically. Hardware isn’t an issue.

1) Regen increased by 50%.
2) Gives more leeway in slip angle before reducing drive power.
3) More aggressive and pro-active cooling of the drivetrain, using the Supercan, to avoid power limiting from heat. This is a big one if you’re going to truly use that extra P power curve, as any time you’re @ 60 mph or below you can push 30% more power through. At a minimum that’s 30% more heat, and likely above that because of being near current limits.
4) More aggressive use of brakes to vector torque.

Thank you! Here's tp hoping Tesla offers some sort of "Free" or "For Fee" LR AWD upgrade soon!

Looks like they removed the 18" wheel option (the notation is gone):

upload_2019-7-18_22-50-50.png

Just thought I'd throw this out there. There is a guy named Phil (aka "Ingineerix"), who also collaborates with Rich Rebuilds. Both are Tesla guru's who have broken down and repaired many Teslas on their own. Phil is currently in the process of transplanting an entire Model 3 drivetrain into a Sprinter van as well.

An interesting bit that caught my eye was looking back at one of Phi's videos giving an overview of the rear Model 3 inverter. In one of the comments someone asked if the inverters were different in the Performance variant compared to the other trims and he stated "Sometimes. It depends on when the car was manufactured". I would trust his statement here and it does make one wonder if there was a change at some point to the P model to have a different inverter. Perhaps this is relevant given how this debate has come up again and as to the feasability of uncorking for AWD owners or what may be involved to do so. I am by no means an expert in this regard but just thought it was worth noting.

Model3.PNG

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
You wouldn't want to be in a Tesla where I go
Well then why would I bother with spending $ on extra acceleration if its just going to be parked anyway? :p

P.S. Clearance is a challenge obviously, lift kits may apply, and you're going to be watching like a hawk for keeping your ties onto of things and not stratling high/hard obstructions, but I've found the Tesla fun off in the dirt and mud and such.

P.P.S. If I went back through your posting history during would I happen to find any of your thoughts about Track Mode in that sizable window prior to it being activated on your vehicle? ;)

Last edited:
Well then why would I bother with spending $ on extra acceleration if its just going to be parked anyway? :p

P.S. Clearance is a challenge obviously, lift kits may apply, and you're going to be watching like a hawk for keeping your ties onto of things and not stratling high/hard obstructions, but I've found the Tesla fun off in the dirt and mud and such.

P.P.S. If I went back through your posting history during would I happen to find any of your thoughts about Track Mode in that sizable window prior to it being activated on your vehicle? ;)
I wanted track mode but looked into actually going to as track and need to spend way too much. I wouldn't dream of taking a car to the sand dunes or offroad. There's no good attachment point if you need to get pulled out of being stuck from behind.

If you're going to upgrade your brake rotors or at least pads and fluid, you should also get safety harnesses and seats with pass throughs for 4 or 5 point harnesses. Plus I'd need another set of track tires at the minimum.

Then it's what $500 a session? To expensive for my blood. Or at least it feels that way since the 3 is my daily. I can see testing out taco mode somewhere though, but the opportunity has not come up yet.
But I did really want track mode as I think tracking a 3 would be really fun.

But yea, is a must must people won't need it yet in the states. Maybe on the Autobahn in Germany but I'm not even sure it would be best used there.

Last edited: