Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
K guys, let's all just storm Area 51 at Tesla! We wanna see them assembly lines and LR AWD upgrades!

TeslaArea51header.jpg

Why?

Besides the fact the PN is the same in the P and AWD for "earlier builds" there's the fact we have a number of members who got their AWD-at-delivery car software flashed to a P when they pointed out they'd really ordered a P not an AWD, back during the "earlier builds" period when the P3D- originally was a thing.

Literally every single bit of actual evidence available then, and now, says the AWD and P3D- are physically the same car and always have been from the start.

Cool, so now we wait to see what is the story there. Would interesting to see.

For a while Tesla limited the number of Ludacris launches that the performance S was allowed to do over the life of the car. They specifically said this was because it was going to wear out the car if people did too many Ludacris launches and they didn't want to pay all the warranty expenses it would cause.

The policy ended due to the bad press it was causing. But it proves thati high power launches can wear out the car faster than normal driving.
But Ludicrous mode is completely different from regular acceleration of the vehicle. The Model 3 Performance doesn't have a Ludicrous mode. We're just asking for the option to have the standard acceleration of the Performance model.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service about my mobile service software upgrade (awd to a performance). He confirmed that no hardware changes to my Tesla would need to be made just the software change.

Unfortunately they are not offering this to customers yet. Which it seems everyone knows. So to speculate, it appears they are looking into offering the update to customers that have previously purchased the lr awd based on the call I had.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service about my mobile service software upgrade (awd to a performance). He confirmed that no hardware changes to my Tesla would need to be made just the software change.

Unfortunately they are not offering this to customers yet. Which it seems everyone knows. So to speculate, it appears they are looking into offering the update to customers that have previously purchased the lr awd based on the call I had.

I can see it as a limited time offering similar to standard AP for the existing customers. With the new pricing scheme, I'm sure many would have opted for the Performance model a year ago

Reactions: jboles
I can see it as a limited time offering similar to standard AP for the existing customers. With the new pricing scheme, I'm sure many would have opted for the Performance model a year ago

I would have, at the time is was a 11k difference, then with the 5k refund it made it a 6k difference which I probably would have done. Now its 2k, I would do that in a heartbeat if it was offered then or even now.

I think that's the key. I personally am not mad about Tesla's price cuts. That's the objective. But it is annoying when the difference between the AWD and P was like $12k or something when I bought my car and is now compressed down to like $2k. Of course Tesla doesn't owe us anything. It would just be nice if they could show some love to the AWD owners (who got a measly 0.1s from the 5% power increase) and offer even a one-time opportunity for a P software unlock. I'd certainly pay $2k for that 0.9s. Not sure how much more I'd pay though (probably some).

So your telling me theres a chance...:)

I would have, at the time is was a 11k difference, then with the 5k refund it made it a 6k difference which I probably would have done. Now its 2k, I would do that in a heartbeat if it was offered then or even now.

Yeah, 2k is probably cheap enough I'd do it even though I'd rarely get any use at all out of it... though if they're going to keep offering the P3D- even off menu it probably makes more business sense for them to charge 3k for an AWD unlock just to encourage new buyers to take it sooner rather than later.

Yeah, 2k is probably cheap enough I'd do it even though I'd rarely get any use at all out of it... though if they're going to keep offering the P3D- even off menu it probably makes more business sense for them to charge 3k for an AWD unlock just to encourage new buyers to take it sooner rather than later.

That would be inline with the buy now or pay more later strategy they sometimes have..

My experience with the SC was similar, but no commitments.

I definitely would have

I'd buy it the second it came out for 2k

Reactions: Scott7 and TyH2009

Now we wait, hopefully it will apply to all LR AWD not just certain ones. but as @Knightshade been saying, same PN means same identical part. For $2k, i am down to upgrade to Performance and then hopefully for $3K or so from EAP to FSD.

I really hope that this is offered. And I totally believe that Tesla could do it if they wanted to.

But I am not sure that same part number means necessarily means that all cars can be upgraded. It means that all replacement parts are P-worthy, but it does not have to mean that all cars are assembled with P-worthy parts at the factory.

It seems totally possible that Telsa could test the parts and find that 5% can't handle P-level power. Instead of tossing them out, they just put a small sticker on the parts that fail the test and use them in the factory in non-P cars. As long as the % is small enough that they have no problem using up the non-p-worthy parts at the factory, there is no need to stock service centers with 2 versions.