Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Octopus customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see on that todays price. so is that as far in advance a "warning" you get one day? when do you find out what tomorrows price is?

It appears you don't as such. Once on the tracker there's a forecast, but not sure it's upto much:

Capture.PNG

While interesting, some of the prices aren't that much lower than current caps. What is the average expected saving vs potential exposure?

Like if it took a week for you to notice a spike and them to switch you, how much would you lose vs what you've saved so far?

I think whoever told you that hasn't a clue what they're talking about. That or you don't have a smart meter.

Otherwise what's the point in saying "Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price" the very second thing on the Octopus Tracker page?
That statement was almost certainly part of a prepared standard script rather than them making it up on the hoof. It may well only apply to non smart meter users though I guess, as agree it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense if you have a smart meter.

Reactions: phil4
Just done a quick check on some random data, so from the 23rd Jan to yesterday, on Flexible Octopus (at 10p) it would have cost me £83.30 on Tracker, averaging it to 7p it would have cost me £58.31

1p shy of £25 for 11 days isn't too shabby!

Just done a quick check on some random data, so from the 23rd Jan to yesterday, on Flexible Octopus (at 10p) it would have cost me £83.30 on Tracker, averaging it to 7p it would have cost me £58.31

1p shy of £25 for 11 days isn't too shabby!
current prices we pay are based on supply at prices the companies locked in months ago when wholesale prices were crazy high coming into winter. So high in fact that gas should be more like 16p per kwh if the govt were not subsidising it right now. so its not surprising that current wholesale prices are lower than the hedged ones and unless something dramatic happens should stay lower until at least the point at which Octopus negotiate their next contracts based on these prices or winter and quite possibly beyond so in theory this ought to be a fairly safe bet on average for at least the next 6 months unless something significant happens.

Reactions: DaveW
current prices we pay are based on supply at prices the companies locked in months ago when wholesale prices were crazy high coming into winter. So high in fact that gas should be more like 16p per kwh if the govt were not subsidising it right now. so its not surprising that current wholesale prices are lower than the hedged ones and unless something dramatic happens should stay lower until at least the point at which Octopus negotiate their next contracts based on these prices or winter and quite possibly beyond so in theory this ought to be a fairly safe bet on average for at least the next 6 months unless something significant happens.
I can see on my bill that the price before the price cap was near enough 16p!

Having just started the process of switching via twitter I was told this actually:

"Something to bear in mind as well is that you get charged for the monthly average of all the daily readings, not on a day-to-day basis."

From experience with Octopus, like some other companies, is that they are likely just to tell you what you want to hear rather than admit that they do not know. I had this one one (of several) specific occasion that spanned a couple of weeks (the answer given bore no resemblance to the [straight forward] question asked), same person. In the end, the Octopus chap admitted that he didn't know but just said something to prevent having to escalate the issue. In the end it was escellated and I got a meaningful answer quickly. Would have saved a lot of bother had they just said "I don't know" (which many company representatives seem to have an aversion to saying) and even better, as they did in the end, add "but I can get someone who does know/find out for you".

tl;dr - Octopus - another company who will just make up anything as a response to something that they do not know.

Reactions: Gadgetman67
From experience with Octopus, like some other companies, is that they are likely just to tell you what you want to hear rather than admit that they do not know. I had this one one (of several) specific occasion that spanned a couple of weeks (the answer given bore no resemblance to the [straight forward] question asked), same person. In the end, the Octopus chap admitted that he didn't know but just said something to prevent having to escalate the issue. In the end it was escellated and I got a meaningful answer quickly. Would have saved a lot of bother had they just said "I don't know" (which many company representatives seem to have an aversion to saying) and even better, as they did in the end, add "but I can get someone who does know/find out for you".

tl;dr - Octopus - another company who will just make up anything as a response to something that they do not know.
I think the guy behind the twitter account read too fast. There is indeed a provision like that for the monthly average, but ONLY IF your smart meter wasn't able to communicate your daily reads, so very unlikely scenario.

Sent my request yesterday for the switch by email; but haven't heard back yet..

Reactions: MrBadger
@DaveW Thank you for the information. I moved to tracker for gas and remained on Intelligent Octopus for Electricity. Hopefully will see a reduction in my gas bills. Right now am paying 10p (after government price cap). I presume that as long as the tracker rates are below the 10p mark, we won’t get government price cap benefit. If the tracker prices go above 10p, then the government price cap will kick in to limit the price to 10p. Is that correct?

@DaveW Thank you for the information. I moved to tracker for gas and remained on Intelligent Octopus for Electricity. Hopefully will see a reduction in my gas bills. Right now am paying 10p (after government price cap). I presume that as long as the tracker rates are below the 10p mark, we won’t get government price cap benefit. If the tracker prices go above 10p, then the government price cap will kick in to limit the price to 10p. Is that correct?
With the tracker it's outside of the cap, so it's something we'll need to keep an eye on as the 10p limit won't apply.

Worst case, it could shoot up to 30p which I believe is the limit for this tariff, though looking unlikely.

I'm going to make a spread sheet to work out if I'm better off on Intelligent or the electric tracker I think, there's a potential with me only charging once a week at home (and with a boat load of free SC miles to use) that I *might* be better off on the electric tracker too

Status
Not open for further replies.