Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Octopus customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@DaveW Thank you for the information. I moved to tracker for gas and remained on Intelligent Octopus for Electricity. Hopefully will see a reduction in my gas bills. Right now am paying 10p (after government price cap). I presume that as long as the tracker rates are below the 10p mark, we won’t get government price cap benefit. If the tracker prices go above 10p, then the government price cap will kick in to limit the price to 10p. Is that correct?

on the FAQ page at the top:
The Government’s Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) offers a 33.43p / kWh discount against your electricity unit rates, and a 6.7p / kWh discount against your gas unit rates.

The EPG discount will apply whenever Tracker unit rates go above the base EPG level (34p / kWh for electricity and 10.3p / kWh for gas; on average, but this does vary regionally).

For example, a unit rate of 80p / kWh would be reduced to 46.57p / kWh.
A gas unit rate of 20p / kWh is reduced to 13.3p / kWh.

It goes on to explain in detail all the scenarios, so have a read if you're interested: Octopus Tracker Tariff FAQs

I've sent an email request this morning to move me to the gas tracker tariff. It is info like this that makes this chat board very helpful and appreciated. Thanks @DaveW
And boom -- within 35 minutes I have an email reply that my gas tariff has been switched to the tracker. I know everyone has varied experiences but I remain very pleased with Octopus.

I've been on this for a while, and these are the rates I currently have

Flexible Octopus (Gas only)

10.31p/kWh
26.84p/day
I have a smart meter.
That's sounds like it's Octopus Flexible, not Tracker Lee - Should be around 7p or less

This is how it looks in the portal (rates will change slightly depending on where in the country you are):

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 14.29.48.png

Reactions: Leejmoff
That's sounds like it's Octopus Flexible, not Tracker Lee - Should be around 7p or less

This is how it looks in the portal (rates will change slightly depending on where in the country you are):

View attachment 902860
yeah It is Flexible, so with the Tracker can it really go up to 100kwh? That's what it says on the small print. Has me worried I switch over then it suddenly jumps up above whtat I have to Flexible Octopus

Is gas really jumping up to 15p tomorrow? Quite a steep rise
No, their prediction/tracker is broken. It shows Jan as 12p, whereas the price was 6/7p as shown in the history here: Octopus Energy latest Tracker prices for Southern England
And it continues to show ~12p for Feb, when every day so far it's actually been 6/7.

In addition their predicted days cost is bobbins, it's supposed to feed off your smart meter readings, and my gas usage has been pretty constant sine Nov, yet it shows a figure way way way less than what I use.

So the only thing I'd trust on that page is a) the days cost, and b) the previous days this month.

The rest is a work of fictions.

Reactions: Cloggie and Zilla91
switched by email. All done in a matter of hours.
lol, i also did it by email this morning. 13min between me emailing in the request and being switched!

Also as @phil4 above mentions is that the EPG discount will apply whenever Tracker unit rates go above the base EPG level (34p / kWh for electricity and 10.3p / kWh for gas; on average, but this does vary regionally).

From Octopus FAQs - A gas unit rate of 35p / kWh is capped at 30p / kWh, then reduced to 23.3p / kWh.

I've just switched for gas. But I was looking at the electricity tracker and based on my previous month's consumption I'd save quite a bit moving that too if I wasn't charging battery storage during Go prices.

And boom -- within 35 minutes I have an email reply that my gas tariff has been switched to the tracker. I know everyone has varied experiences but I remain very pleased with Octopus.

Had your existing tariff already expired and/or doing it mid term?

I'm on Go until early March, then Gas until sometime in May. Compared with current pricing, they are very lucrative and would not want to loose them until my fixed term actually expires.

I've been with Octopus since relatively early days so have been through several renewals. Most deltas have never been quite so large as they are now so has never been an issue, but don't want to jump early. Trouble is, Octopus have never been clear/consistent when they will swap you to a new tariff so not sure if enquiring/'taking IO for a spin' about switching is going to trigger the swap prematurely from my my current fixed rates end. Last time I left it until the day before, Octopus' systems couldn't cope and it took them an afternoon to sort the problem out at their end. So reluctant to leave it so late this time.

Yes, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it. Signing up for new tariff now but not actually switching until current tariffs ends.

Had your existing tariff already expired and/or doing it mid term?

I'm on Go until early March, then Gas until sometime in May. Compared with current pricing, they are very lucrative and would not want to loose them until my fixed term actually expires.

I've been with Octopus since relatively early days so have been through several renewals. Most deltas have never been quite so large as they are now so has never been an issue, but don't want to jump early. Trouble is, Octopus have never been clear/consistent when they will swap you to a new tariff so not sure if enquiring/'taking IO for a spin' about switching is going to trigger the swap prematurely from my my current fixed rates end. Last time I left it until the day before, Octopus' systems couldn't cope and it took them an afternoon to sort the problem out at their end. So reluctant to leave it so late this time.

Yes, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it. Signing up for new tariff now but not actually switching until current tariffs ends.
My gas tariff had expired some time ago and I was on the Flexible Octopus tariff and wanted to switch to the tracker now. I am not touching my electricity tariff which is locked until late July.

I've switched over today to the gas tracker, it should save me quite a bit each month if the prices stay where they are! Thanks for bringing this up.

Something for those with an iOS device. I found some info on the below website that shows you how to add a widget to your shortcuts and automate them so that each day you can wake up to an alert showing the daily price. There's a widget for gas and electricity.

Octopus Tracker Tariff - Save money NOW on energy bill. open on your phone/iPad and scroll down to almost the bottom to find the link to download the widgets and details on how to set up the automation and change the region.

View attachment 905018
That's the most important. I've personally edited my own script to only display a notification if prices are > 10p. Otherwise it gets too cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.