Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford will add NACS to next gen EVs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next gen Ford EVs will include NACS port. Also will have a NACS to CCS adapter for existing Ford EVs and will be made compatible with Tesla Superchargers via software update.

Honestly never thought any other automaker would take up NACS so this is very surprising.

Moderator note: The first couple pages of this thread are a merge of two different threads on the same topic.
screenshot-twitter.com-2023.05.26-15_20_08.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the first major manufacturer to adopt a NACS port? If so, that's huge (well, small). I wonder if other manufacturers will follow suit, and if they will place their charging ports in places that lend themselves more accessible to superchargers without blocking adjacent stalls.
Good point. It would seem to me that Ford should move the charge port on future designs to the left rear corner same as Tesla.

Nothing about that detail in the press release.

Another thought is what is the supercharger pricing going to be like for Ford drivers ? I would expect it to cost a Ford customer more, but who knows at this point.

Or it'll cost Ford something, Elon has always maintained that it's fine to help with the transition to renewable energy, but Tesla shouldn't have to foot the bill for the entire charging network. Since there still are relatively few Ford EVs it probably won't be THAT much, they'll probably be responsible for future supplies of cash, or by their vote for NACS they enable the federal monies to go to building many many more Superchargers.

So weird the way Tesla ended up the winner when Biden wouldn't even talk about Tesla at the start of the administration

This article is now almost 3 months old, but it says they're $0.10 more per kwh for non-Teslas:

Cost for Non-Teslas​

Non-Tesla vehicles charging at Superchargers will pay a slight premium over their Tesla counterparts. An early look at Superchargers that Tesla has opened up reveals that Tesla is charging about $0.10 more per kWh to charge other EVs. This is about a 25% premium over Tesla's standard rate, although Supercharger prices vary by station and time of day.​

Membership​

Tesla is also offering a monthly membership option for non-Tesla owners who wish to reduce their price per kilowatt hour. For $12.99/month, non-Tesla owners can subscribe to lower their charging rate to be the same as Tesla vehicles.​

As infrequently as I DCFC, I'd certainly pay the premium for the peace of mind to pull up to a charger and have a boring (functional) charging experience. To be fair, when I had my Lightning and I charged on EA's network, it did always work - and just as good as Tesla (plug and charge) - but I needed to do research on Plugshare and avoid a stop where all four chargers were dead.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and KJD
Strangely, the picture in the press release doesn't actually show the Mach-E charging at a supercharger. It's just parked there blocking a stall. o_O I wonder if the adapter for Ford's CCS equipped vehicles will have a cable or if they will be small "bullet" style adapters sans-cables. Given the current requirements of a supercharger, any cable-based adapter could reduce charge speeds significantly, if they exist at all.

1685055391143.png

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Hopefully the Next Gen Ford EV with NACS ports all come in the back left of the cars similar to Teslas. I hope Tesla requires this so that everyone can coexist at the superchargers. It seems that this is one of the final nails in the CCS charging standard in the USA. A tidal wave of manufacturers will come Tesla's way to not give up their competitive advantage against Ford and Tesla. If there is no requirement on where the charger is located we may have a lot of unused stalls where cars cannot charge.

Or they just standardize pull through locations everywhere so that anyone can park.

Is this the first major manufacturer to adopt a NACS port? If so, that's huge (well, small). I wonder if other manufacturers will follow suit, and if they will place their charging ports in places that lend themselves more accessible to superchargers without blocking adjacent stalls.
Yes, Ford is the first major manufacturer to adopt a NACS port. But a (hopefully soon) manufacturer previously announced they were going to use NACS....Aptera. So Ford isn't the "first", but they are the "first major manufacturer" to use NACS.

..... I wonder if the adapter for Ford's CCS equipped vehicles will have a cable or if they will be small "bullet" style adapters sans-cables. Given the current requirements of a supercharger, any cable-based adapter could reduce charge speeds significantly, if they exist at all.
Ford's press release, linked by the OP, says a "Tesla developed adapter" will be used for Ford's CCS vehicles. Tesla has already developed such an adapter for the "Magic Dock" superchargers that charge non-Teslas. I would expect the adapter Ford uses to be nearly identical to the Magic Dock adapter, which is small and without a cord.

GSP

Ford's press release, linked by the OP, says a "Tesla developed adapter" will be used for Ford's CCS vehicles. Tesla has already developed such an adapter for the "Magic Dock" superchargers that charge non-Teslas. I would expect the adapter Ford uses to be nearly identical to the Magic Dock adapter, which is small and without a cord.
I thought that at first too. But it was mentioned that the adapter won't go into production until early next year, almost a year from now. Why the delay?

Also, it doesn't help with Ford's poor charge port location. So unless Tesla is planning to install longer cables at every station over the next year, it would make sense for it to be an adapter cable.