Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added up the cars delivered in the US a few months back using the data on insideevs. I think they were around 150K cars at that point. They have delivered less than 20K since then (US sales only).

They aren't close enough to the 200K to hold up sales right now. My money is on some minor production problem that isn't allowing cars to ship until a missing part is installed. There could be many reasons ranging from finding a problem with a part once production began to a backorder from a supplier, to many other things.

I added up the cars delivered in the US a few months back using the data on insideevs. I think they were around 150K cars at that point. They have delivered less than 20K since then (US sales only).

They aren't close enough to the 200K to hold up sales right now. My money is on some minor production problem that isn't allowing cars to ship until a missing part is installed. There could be many reasons ranging from finding a problem with a part once production began to a backorder from a supplier, to many other things.

assuming I did the math right it is now 152,022 at end of November.

US running total Tesla Sales vs 200,000 for federal credit phase out trigger
2011 end 1,900
2012 end 4,550 (2,650 for 2012 + prior year)
2013 end 22,200 (17,650 for 2013 + prior years)
2014 end 38,889 (16,689 for 2014 + prior years)
2015 end 64,091 (25,202 for 2015 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2016 end 111,210 (47,119 for 2016 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2017 Nov 152,022 (40,812 for partial 2017 + prior years)

I'm thinking about 11,000 for Dec 2017, leaving room for 36,000 and change during Q1 2018 to not trigger and push it out. That would still be 3x the sales Q1 2017 if they did that.

Or in short, sounds like you are right about that.

assuming I did the math right it is now 152,022 at end of November.

US running total Tesla Sales vs 200,000 for federal credit phase out trigger
2011 end 1,900
2012 end 4,550 (2,650 for 2012 + prior year)
2013 end 22,200 (17,650 for 2013 + prior years)
2014 end 38,889 (16,689 for 2014 + prior years)
2015 end 64,091 (25,202 for 2015 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2016 end 111,210 (47,119 for 2016 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2017 Nov 152,022 (40,812 for partial 2017 + prior years)

I'm thinking about 11,000 for Dec 2017, leaving room for 36,000 and change during Q1 2018 to not trigger and push it out. That would still be 3x the sales Q1 2017 if they did that.

Or in short, sounds like you are right about that.

The InsideEVs numbers for Tesla sales are for North America, not US. So even the 152k number is slightly high (10k at most). At this point I see Tesla targeting the 200,001 US production unit as job number 1 on April 1st (aka 2018Q2).

S and X production for Q1 will most likely be highly loaded to international. Maybe even a week or two of Model 3 shutdown to integrate new configurations, standard range and white seats (fingers crossed).

What? on to me......?
M7GgFg3.png

The InsideEVs numbers for Tesla sales are for North America, not US.

No. InsideEVs adjusts, and makes the numbers US only

Top line comment
Every month InsideEVs tracks all the plug-in sales for the United States by auto maker and brand.

Note on 2017 numbers
*Estimated Tesla Sales Numbers – Reconciled on Quarterly Totals,

Note on 2013 numbers
*Estimated Tesla Numbers have been included in this graph. Tesla Total US Sales Based On Quarterly Disclosures (Q1 & Q2 from filings, Q3 based on shareholder letter, and Q4 based on company estimate of half of sales out of North America)

They may not have it to the car accurate but it is for US not North America.

View attachment 267392 View attachment 267393 Pics from the lot this morning around 8AM 12/18/2017. I've cropped pics from last Thursday and today showing that the cars aren't moving off the lot fast enough. Basically the left side of the lot is now almost all full (also shown in the above video) with some sprinkling of cars missing in some other columns. The security guard at the gate said there were only two transport carriers that came this morning, if they are the same size as the one shown today then their delivery rate is slower than their production rate so that's why the cars are piling up.

From last Thursday -
View attachment 267394

and today -

View attachment 267395
Today's morning pics show some cars got moved/delivered and new ones took their place. A Tesla employee said that most customers pick up their cars on the weekends so the factory output rate is higher than the ship/customer pickup rate and cars are piling up on the lot.

IMG_6650.jpg
IMG_6651.jpg

Seriously though, delivery logistics worry me. I can't shake the feeling they're going to open up to nationwide delivery because they can't move them fast enough in CA, and I'm going to watch my window slip…

I think that windows continuing to slip as Tesla figures this all out is a given. This is a logistical nightmare and I'm not confident that they have the right people to figure it out. Their lack of a dealer network is going to be a thorn in their side on this particular logistical piece.

Here's another thought. How the hell are they going to deliver 5,000 cars a week out of 30-50 delivery centers? It's not going to happen.

I think that windows continuing to slip as Tesla figures this all out is a given. This is a logistical nightmare and I'm not confident that they have the right people to figure it out. Their lack of a dealer network is going to be a thorn in their side on this particular logistical piece.

Here's another thought. How the hell are they going to deliver 5,000 cars a week out of 30-50 delivery centers? It's not going to happen.

At 50 centers that is 100 cars/week. That's not that unbelievable. But they are going to have a lot of problems getting these cars to market and stored (at first). Other companies have gotten that figured out. Warm up the trains and trucks.

Seriously though, delivery logistics worry me. I can't shake the feeling they're going to open up to nationwide delivery because they can't move them fast enough in CA, and I'm going to watch my window slip…

I have been worried about the logistics since Day 1. I feel like Elon was for a while as well with all the stuff about being in and out in 5 minutes, but since "Production Hell" has taken over I worry now we are going into "Logistics Hell". They will work though it all even if there are bumps. By this time next year we will be laughing at how worried we were.

Reactions: M. Thompson

Your confidence is awe inspiring

Dan

Reactions: EinSV
They need to just send customers their key after payment and then customers go to the lot to get their car. A video of the car instructions can play on the main screen. None of the personalized Model S/X delivery with people should go with the Model 3. That's how they'd be able to scale up.

At 50 centers that is 100 cars/week. That's not that unbelievable. But they are going to have a lot of problems getting these cars to market and stored (at first). Other companies have gotten that figured out. Warm up the trains and trucks.

Other companies deliver through hundreds of dealerships not a handful.

Time will tell. I'm 100% sure Tesla is working on it because they have to identify it as a huge risk.

They need to just send customers their key after payment and then customers go to the lot to get their car. A video of the car instructions can play on the main screen. None of the personalized Model S/X delivery with people should go with the Model 3. That's how they'd be able to scale up.

Interesting thought but there's no way I'm signing to accept delivery until I've inspected the car first. Tesla's QA is not exactly confidence-inspiring on that front.

Reactions: dhanson865