Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thought but there's no way I'm signing to accept delivery until I've inspected the car first. Tesla's QA is not exactly confidence-inspiring on that front.
Here, let me fix that for you, give me your reservation and I will sign to accept delivery without inspection and worry about any QA issues (doubtful) later. Your problem solved and I get my car sooner! Win/Win for both of us. :)

M7GgFg3.png
I don't get this cartoon

I don't understand this delivery malarkey. Should be going there and picking it up yourselves.
Even the traditional auto makers / dealers refer to it as 'delivery' despite the buyer picking it up from their facility - at least, when I bought my Mazda 3 nearly a decade ago, there was a "Pre Delivery Inspection" performed and I got a copy of the checklist of things they checked... though I have no idea where I've put that since then, or what was on it.

There has to be some kind of accounting strategy here. Wether it be tax or cash flow or whatever. I get the impression from seeing all the pictures that there are probably more than a thousand cars completed waiting for delivery. I would think shareholders would want to know what is going on though.

It's nice to see that they have a functioning line. 2018 should be an interesting year.

Curious. Do quarterly numbers reflect cars sold or cars produced.

John

There has to be some kind of accounting strategy here. Wether it be tax or cash flow or whatever. I get the impression from seeing all the pictures that there are probably more than a thousand cars completed waiting for delivery. I would think shareholders would want to know what is going on though.

It's nice to see that they have a functioning line. 2018 should be an interesting year.

John
They generally report deliveries but since everyone is interested in Model 3 production they'll probably say something about that as well.

Reactions: mongo

John

I am absolutely convinced that this is just a big logistics fail.

I am absolutely convinced that this is just a big logistics fail.

Curious, how would you suggest they handle delivery of items when the rate of change of production exceeds the rate of change of delivery (or at least reaction time)?
Pay shippers for nonexistent deliveries to hold shipping capacity?
Limit production to scheduled shipments to match shipping capacity?
Buffer production to allow shipping capacity to catch up?
other?

We also don't know the number of reservations in the Fremont area (for RWD LR). These may be right where they should be.
Or they may be waiting for their ride, a dedicated auto train can haul upwards of 800 cars...

Reactions: Runt8