Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears brand new, including the angled space. I don’t think that was there last year.
Nope, not new. Look how old the paint is on the ground vs the newly resurface asphalt

upload_2018-1-23_13-6-58.png

1/23/2018 around 7:30am. All the cars on the south side are gone including the 5 that were in aisles 25-23 (finally!). I got chased off by security even though I was on public property taking pictures through the fence. So I guess I'll have to get a new location that's not as visible to the guards ;)
View attachment 275286 View attachment 275287 View attachment 275288 View attachment 275289
There is only one explanation, they've read your posts. Thanks for all the investigative work.

Nope, not new. Look how old the paint is on the ground vs the newly resurface asphalt

View attachment 275311
Good picture. This does look like it is elevated specifically for train loading and we know they have been shipping S&X via rail. It has been a frequent complaint of anyone east of Chicago waiting for cars to get through the shipping mess in the Chicago region. Could they be loading to inter-modal containers, or would they truck off site and then load to a train elsewhere? That seems too stupid to believe, especially for a company run by a guy who built his own landing legs for a rocket. They would figure out train car loading with a short term fix and a long term solution by now. Would be great if someone has insight or has seen trains being loaded.

Good picture. This does look like it is elevated specifically for train loading and we know they have been shipping S&X via rail. It has been a frequent complaint of anyone east of Chicago waiting for cars to get through the shipping mess in the Chicago region. Could they be loading to inter-modal containers, or would they truck off site and then load to a train elsewhere? That seems too stupid to believe, especially for a company run by a guy who built his own landing legs for a rocket. They would figure out train car loading with a short term fix and a long term solution by now. Would be great if someone has insight or has seen trains being loaded.

Ya, the platform was designated as Railroad Pad (the writing is on the wall), probably from the NUMMI era.

I posted earlier someone else said they are using Richmond for rail transportation.
upload_2018-1-23_13-46-12.png

Reactions: Big Earl
Ya, the platform was designated as Railroad Pad (the writing is on the wall), probably from the NUMMI era.

I posted earlier someone else said they are using Richmond for rail transportation.
View attachment 275324

2018 satellite images suggest that Tesla is not using the large Port Richmond lot pictured above, but is instead using a much smaller lot to the south for their rail transportation needs. You can see the signature Tesla black roofs (panoramic, all glass, and falcon wing doors) in the pictures below.

In the zoomed out attached picture, you can see the large storage lot circled in red that I believe Tesla is not using, as it is full of non-Teslas. I have circled Tesla’s lot in blue. I’ve also attached a couple of zoomed in pictures of Tesla’s lot where you can see a car carrier unloading vehicles and three lines of cars at the south end of the lot presumably waiting to get loaded onto rail cars. This lot has spaces for 246 vehicles, so I would imagine that turnover is pretty quick. A person can observe the activities here from nearby Canal Blvd, as confirmed by the Google Streetview images below.

Attachments

• 95624432-5251-4C51-9BD6-C6AB9B67A9C7.jpeg
    95624432-5251-4C51-9BD6-C6AB9B67A9C7.jpeg
    794.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 7B6E5BF0-EE41-43CC-9C4D-F0AB6ACEAF36.png
    7B6E5BF0-EE41-43CC-9C4D-F0AB6ACEAF36.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 69
  • C26B252E-E59A-469A-8BEA-8D28834C64EB.png
    C26B252E-E59A-469A-8BEA-8D28834C64EB.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 5CF4A69F-C45B-4238-A54F-FD27A45027CE.png
    5CF4A69F-C45B-4238-A54F-FD27A45027CE.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
  • DBA21BF8-CF01-49D2-B84F-5A507C364261.png
    DBA21BF8-CF01-49D2-B84F-5A507C364261.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
2018 satellite images suggest that Tesla is not using the large Port Richmond lot pictured above, but is instead using a much smaller lot to the south for their rail transportation needs. You can see the signature Tesla black roofs (panoramic, all glass, and falcon wing doors) in the pictures below.

In the zoomed out attached picture, you can see the large storage lot circled in red that I believe Tesla is not using, as it is full of non-Teslas. I have circled Tesla’s lot in blue. I’ve also attached a couple of zoomed in pictures of Tesla’s lot where you can see a car carrier unloading vehicles and three lines of cars at the south end of the lot presumably waiting to get loaded onto rail cars. This lot has spaces for 246 vehicles, so I would imagine that turnover is pretty quick. A person can observe the activities here from nearby Canal Blvd, as confirmed by the Google Streetview images below.
Thank you! I was actually looking through the rail tracks but Tesla are nowhere to be found on the latest satellite picture.

upload_2018-1-23_15-26-43.png

1/23/2018 around 7:30am. All the cars on the south side are gone including the 5 that were in aisles 25-23 (finally!). I got chased off by security even though I was on public property taking pictures through the fence. So I guess I'll have to get a new location that's not as visible to the guards ;)
View attachment 275286 View attachment 275287 View attachment 275288 View attachment 275289

The condensation on the black 3's (first pic) makes them look matte black... nice! (Remember those matte black beauties from the reveal?)

The break from 2017 VINs to 2018 VINs was at about 3100. But of course that doesn't correspond to when they are being delivered. My car had a 2017 VIN and was delivered 5 days ago.
Again and again. I'm not concerned about delivery at all. They made a 3K VIN in 2018....I thought the 3K's were already made in 2017. Obviously not. That means they only made 2K + model 3's in 2017......since July.

From the pictures, it seems like there are maybe a dozen or a couple dozen cars being moved/produced - it's not like a couple hundred cars fill up the lot and then gone the next day. These were taken around 1pm today (1/22/2018) and again not much change from last Thursday. The five cars in aisles 23-25 have been sitting there for a month.
View attachment 275141 View attachment 275142 View attachment 275143 View attachment 275144

It's possible the cars that were there for a long time are test mules or some other company owned cars that were stored there. Now that they are gone, they may be off running more tests (small battery pack, other M3 options?) or they were sent somewhere else for storage.

again..not sure how to interpret the VIN numbers. Mine is 3398 being delivered tomorrow--but it is 2018 VIN number. In the best case scenario, that means it was manufactured/sold/delivered in 3 weeks time. If that is really the case, I think I should buy TSLA stock.

3 weeks is long for a west coast delivery of a Model S/X. When I bought my S, the car was built just before Memorial Day weekend, left the factory Memorial Day, delivered to Portland the next day, and it sat for 6 days in Portland because the delivery center was massively backed up.

The had originally done deliveries at the Service Center, but they ran out of space so they had temporary digs in an industrial park down the street. My car was parked in what looked like an office space that had been converted to have a garage door. Tesla had about 1/2 the industrial park and were using the rest of their space there to prep Model Xs which needed the extra inspections at the time.

If their delivery locally hadn't been maxxed out, I probably would have gotten the car less than a week after it was built. They really do get them out fast.

3 weeks is long for a west coast delivery of a Model S/X. When I bought my S, the car was built just before Memorial Day weekend, left the factory Memorial Day, delivered to Portland the next day, and it sat for 6 days in Portland because the delivery center was massively backed up.
The factory was closed for the first week of January - no production of S/X/3. So 2018 VIN Model 3's being delivered this week were produced at most two weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV