Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps but this lot basically shows that there are a bunch of M3's that are sitting and not getting delivered to customers. So either these cars have something wrong with them, waiting for parts, or the buyer dropped out and new buyers need to be found. If their production rate increases dramatically beyond their delivery/transport rate then we would see more and more cars piling up here.

They were in good enough condition to be driven to the lot so I am not sure what you are smoking. What part could be missing? They are all missing ipads and this lot is where final assembly happens?

Simplest explanation is people are not ready to pick up their cars yet or they need to collect enough cars to make sense logistically to send to some delivery hub.

Reservation backlog is 497,500 deep, finding new buyers would happen within the same hour.

I was inside the Fremont Delivery Center (FDC) again last week when my friend picked up his Model 3. They have space to hold 14 vehicles indoors. I didn't drive around the back of the parking lot to see if they are buffering more vehicles back there. I assume there is an indoor area I didn't see where they prep the cars for delivery (clean, etc.).
IMG_7364.JPG

IMG_7366.JPG

As a long-time TSLA investor, I was very happy to see these 3's being delivered! :cool:

They were in good enough condition to be driven to the lot so I am not sure what you are smoking. What part could be missing? They are all missing ipads and this lot is where final assembly happens?

Simplest explanation is people are not ready to pick up their cars yet or they need to collect enough cars to make sense logistically to send to some delivery hub.

Reservation backlog is 497,500 deep, finding new buyers would happen within the same hour.

It could just be some parts that aren't necessary for driving, ie passenger seat, headliner, etc. One person reported getting their car recently with a 2017 VIN number so that could be the case. Or the original buyer dropped out and he was assigned the car.

I don't necessarily agree with that assessment. Your assessment is only true if it was the same cars that are held here over the multiple pictures. What you see in the picture is a static snapshot in time. What we don't know is the movement, if the throughput is constant, there will always some cars held in the lot before transport. Plus I would suspect that many of the cars for delivery in the fremont center are held here until the day before delivery.

True, I can only see cars of the same color not moving - it could be that a new car with the same color replaced the previous one. There's so much space there though that it wouldn't be necessary to do that.

So this seems to correlate with what we've been seeing at the lot -

Tesla employees detail problems with Model 3 battery production and quality control

That article is a rehash of the Q3 2017 news, not relevant to recent production.

Edit: Tesla's response:
This is an extremely misinformed and misleading article. To be absolutely clear, we are on track with the previous projections for achieving increased Model 3 production rates that we provided earlier this month. As has been well documented, until we reach full production, by definition some elements of the production process will be more manual. This is something Elon and JB discussed extensively on our Q3 earnings call, and it has no impact on the quality or safety of the batteries we’re producing. As noted in our Q4 deliveries release, during the fourth quarter, “we made major progress addressing Model 3 production bottlenecks, with our production rate increasing significantly towards the end of the quarter.”
Furthermore, as is often the case in manufacturing, some parts of the production process require the expertise of employees with engineering or manufacturing experience, and others don’t. We’ve created thousands of new high-quality jobs in Nevada in recent years. As we continue to expand Gigafactory 1 and ramp Model 3 production, we’ve been able to teach new skills to thousands of new employees, many of whom had no manufacturing experience prior to joining Tesla. New hires on the module line receive extensive training, including safety training, and learn about the importance of proper cell-to-cell spacing so they can identify such issues in the production process. More broadly, battery production – and the module line in particular – is overseen by our top engineering talent, and many of Tesla’s most senior leadership.
Finally, the implication that Tesla would ever deliver a car with a hazardous battery is absolutely inaccurate, contrary to all evidence, and detached from reality. It is irresponsible to suggest as much based on unnamed, anonymous sources who have provided no such evidence and who obviously do not have a complete understanding of the extensive testing that all batteries in Tesla vehicles are subjected to. As with Model S and Model X, which have well demonstrated safety records, we maintain a rigorous approach to quality and process control for the Model 3 battery. Even more importantly, to our knowledge, there has not been a single safety concern in the field related to Model 3 batteries at any point over the six months of Model 3 production.

As for the assertion about cells touching in Model 3 batteries, this is extremely misleading and displays a complete lack of basic knowledge about how our batteries work. Every battery in a Tesla vehicle has thousands of cells, the vast majority of which are at the same voltage potential as neighboring cells. Hypothetically, even if two cells of the same voltage potential were touching, there would be absolutely zero impact, safety or otherwise – it would be as if two neutral pieces of metal touched. Despite this fact, all Model 3 battery modules’ cell positions are measured twice in manufacturing to verify process control and quality of outgoing parts. Conversely, if at any point in the production process cells are touching at different voltage potentials, they cannot be electrically interconnected. Over the course of the production process, we conduct three different tests to ensure the right number of cells are electrically connected in Model 3 modules. Additionally, the long term reliability of cell position is something validated through testing, including shock and vibration, and high temperature and humidity testing, as well as thermal cycling endurance testing throughout design and via sampling in production. All of this testing is designed to prevent touching cells from being installed in any of our vehicles, including Model 3. Finally, the safety aspects of our module design would continue to function even in the presence of touching cells, so the concerns raised are further unfounded.

These false claims are being made even though we have a proven history of making the safest vehicles on the road, with Model S and Model X receiving 5-star safety ratings not only overall but in every subcategory. Although not yet tested by NHTSA, Model 3 has been designed and internally tested to have the same result. Data from NHTSA’s testing shows that Model S and Model X have the two lowest probability of injury scores in the history of NHTSA testing. Furthermore, over billions of miles of actual driving, Tesla’s vehicles have been roughly five times less likely to experience a fire than a conventional gasoline vehicle. In light of these facts, it’s preposterous to suggest that a company as committed to safety as Tesla would allow untested or unsafe batteries to go in our vehicles.

Last edited:
How old is this satellite image? Looks like Google Maps on an iPad. I can tell you that the Google satellite image of my house is not super current. It looks to me like it is several weeks old from where one of my cars is parked.

Also... the Google satellite image of the south end of the factory is definitely old. The lot you see in several of the images in this thread isn't even paved yet in the satellite view.

EDIT: Oddly... viewing Google Maps in a browser on my PC shows a different satellite image from what you posted here. Hmmm.

EDIT2: My Android phone shows the same satellite view you posted... and the south lot is still not paved. Definitely an old photo.

I installed Google Earth Pro and the date on that satellite image is August 31, 2017. So yeah... it's definitely old, but still pretty based on the recent drone video.

So this seems to correlate with what we've been seeing at the lot - also Elon was at the factory yesterday so probably cracking the whip! ;)

Tesla employees detail problems with Model 3 battery production and quality control

Or this:
Build fast, fix later: Speed hurts quality at Tesla, some workers say

"Trickier cases head to one of Tesla's outdoor parking lots to await repair. The backlog in one of those two lots, dubbed the "yard," has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times, workers told Reuters.

Tesla denied to Reuters that such "repair lots" exist."

Someone was asking why the plant was shut down the first week of January. With any manufacturing, there has to be down time to allow for maintenance of the machinery and for retooling for changes on the line. Most car companies do their down time in the late summer and make all the changes for the new model year then. Tesla has down time at other times. They may have incorporated some hidden changes in the cars like a different type of connector for the bumper or some other internal changes during this down time. But this was probably mostly so maintenance people could get at the machinery for production and do necessary lubrication, replace worn parts, and just test everything is working properly.

Or this:

"Trickier cases head to one of Tesla's outdoor parking lots to await repair. The backlog in one of those two lots, dubbed the "yard," has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times, workers told Reuters.

Unfortunately that was the way American manufacturing was done. The Japanese way is to stop the line and fix any problems as they arise. I don't know why Tesla doesn't do it that way, most American manufacturing has adopted the Japanese style now.

Someone was asking why the plant was shut down the first week of January. With any manufacturing, there has to be down time to allow for maintenance of the machinery and for retooling for changes on the line. Most car companies do their down time in the late summer and make all the changes for the new model year then. Tesla has down time at other times. They may have incorporated some hidden changes in the cars like a different type of connector for the bumper or some other internal changes during this down time. But this was probably mostly so maintenance people could get at the machinery for production and do necessary lubrication, replace worn parts, and just test everything is working properly.

Thanks you for the reply. Wasn't sure if there was something specific they had to do.

John

Aren't they usually off week 1 of a new year, because they heavily focus on end of quarter sales, and don't give the time off during the holidays.

Unfortunately that was the way American manufacturing was done. The Japanese way is to stop the line and fix any problems as they arise. I don't know why Tesla doesn't do it that way, most American manufacturing has adopted the Japanese style now.

Agreed. KanBan style manufacturing has one implicit, non-intuitive and really awesome side effect: it really keeps managers responsive and responsible, because a) all fault is inevitably theirs if everyone else is playing by the rules, and b) ensuring everyone is playing by the rules is also their responsibility.

I.e., when shite rolls uphill, you gain efficiency in management as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aren't they usually off week 1 of a new year, because they heavily focus on end of quarter sales, and don't give the time off during the holidays.

The push to get cars built by the end of the year probably fills the delivery chain pretty full, so there is little impact on deliveries having the factory shut down the first week of the year.

Or this:

Excluding the employee lots and the new south lot, the total parking capacity at Fremont is almost exactly 2,000 vehicles (I counted). That would mean the entire place would be inundated with misfit vehicles awaiting repair. As we can clearly see in recent video, that is not the case. Sure, some (a few dozen, perhaps) vehicles have been sitting around in the brand new south lot for a few weeks, but nothing on the scale being suggested in that article.

Perhaps they’re hauling them off to the now-demolished Pontiac Silverdome to await their fate next to the thousands of bought back Volkswagen TDIs. In all seriousness, if there was a lot of 2,000 cars just sitting there not moving, somebody would have at least posted a picture.

What will the stock shorters claim next? Did Tesla build the big storage building for the purpose of housing these defective cars until they can be fixed? ;)

Last edited:
What will the stock shorters claim next? Did Tesla build the big storage building for the purpose of housing these defective cars until they can be fixed? ;)

To be clear - I don't have the cahounas to short-sell, and I'm a huge Tesla supporter.

That said, *half* of the time, I love bad press for TSLA - that half being when I've just sold TSLA again, and am looking for the next downturn to buy. With volatility like this, short-term cap gains taxes are a non issue: you can flip TSLA 8 times year with 5% to 10% profit.

Buying more tomorrow for sure!

Just my .02 spacebucks.

Last edited: