Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reports from shorts are that the Lathrop lot is full and a second lot nearby is starting to be filled with more Teslas. Anyone have an idea when Tesla is going to sort out its logistics issues?

Kind of crazy to be making so many cars just to stack them in lots. With so many, how are they keeping the batteries charged, and is anyone worried about the hot sun baking interior or battery?

Reports from shorts are that the Lathrop lot is full and a second lot nearby is starting to be filled with more Teslas. Anyone have an idea when Tesla is going to sort out its logistics issues?

Kind of crazy to be making so many cars just to stack them in lots. With so many, how are they keeping the batteries charged, and is anyone worried about the hot sun baking interior or battery?
Lathrop is probably responsible for Western Coast Distribution except CA/Oregon/Washington.

Transport Mode doesn't drain battery like user mode and why is it a problem sitting under the sun? Do you always have shade to park under? Never seen any other dealer with shaded parking

Every other car manufacturer does the exact same thing, they are just parked at various lots across the country called dealerships.

Also, due to legacy [ridiculous] laws in my state and a few others Tesla isn't allowed to ship the car until all paperwork is signed and the car is 100% paid for.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
why is it a problem sitting under the sun? Do you always have shade to park under? Never seen any other dealer with shaded parking

I run cabin conditioning if I remember when I'm parked in the sun. Interior temps can exceed 145 F pretty easily even if outside temps aren't even 90 F. High heat can warp materials and UV exposure from the sun can also damage things.

Thanks for pointing out "Transport Mode" is probably being used for storage.

I run cabin conditioning if I remember when I'm parked in the sun. Interior temps can exceed 145 F pretty easily even if outside temps aren't even 90 F. High heat can warp materials and UV exposure from the sun can also damage things.

Thanks for pointing out "Transport Mode" is probably being used for storage.
So does every other mass production cars out there? All car windows blocks UV.

Well, in Q2 call Elon promised that they'll deliver more than they produce in Q3. Considering 11k cars carryover from Q2, I think that means not more than 10K will remain at Lathrop/Burbank at the end of Q3. Does that qualify for resolving logistics issues?

This will be shown only by the time and practice of delivery and shipment of finished products. In any case, the shipment can be tried and carried out independently. Many shipping companies will work on pre-orders. Customs Broker | Canadian Customs Clearance | Import to Canada | Clearit.ca already so worked. Perhaps someone else has signed a permanent contract for logistics services.

Reactions: RedOctober
Lathrop is probably responsible for Western Coast Distribution except CA/Oregon/Washington.

Transport Mode doesn't drain battery like user mode and why is it a problem sitting under the sun? Do you always have shade to park under? Never seen any other dealer with shaded parking

I think that Lathrop is being used as a shipping hub for all cars delivered by truck which would be CA, OR, WA, and probably several other western states. To relieve congestion at the factory, they can have a short haul truck make a couple of trips between the factory and Lathrop a day and then the long haul trucks load up the cars for their final destination as trucks become available. Being closer to I-5, it's probably more efficient than the long haul trucks having to go into Fremont and deal with the Bay Area traffic. The short haul trucks can move cars when traffic is lighter (mid-day and after rush hour in the evenings).

Over time, UV is one of the causes of plastic interior bits fading and becoming ugly. Go look at a 90's Nissan's turn signal indicator for example... it probably looks like garbage now.

True, but the cars are only sitting out for a couple of weeks, not 20 years.

This is the new Tesla reality folks.

Back when they were selling 1000 cars (or less) a month when this thread was started, finding a parking lot with 50 or 100 Model 3's was an Oh Wow moment. Watching the logistics lot at the factory fill and empty was a nice read on production rates.

Now that they are pumping out mass quantities of vehicles on a regular basis, distribution hubs like this are going to be the normal and should not be unexpected. It's just that we are not used to it coming from a much smaller production rate.

I bet if you followed an individual car you'd find that its stopover in those holding lots is relatively short, but the lot appears to remain full with constant turnover.

@RTPEV I agree. You would have to take daily shots of those transit lots to see what the turnover rate is. On average it has to be keeping up with factory output, though some days may see more cars than others due to the logistics (a few more trucks may be able to load up on one day than on another).

I think that Lathrop is being used as a shipping hub for all cars delivered by truck which would be CA, OR, WA, and probably several other western states. To relieve congestion at the factory, they can have a short haul truck make a couple of trips between the factory and Lathrop a day and then the long haul trucks load up the cars for their final destination as trucks become available. Being closer to I-5, it's probably more efficient than the long haul trucks having to go into Fremont and deal with the Bay Area traffic. The short haul trucks can move cars when traffic is lighter (mid-day and after rush hour in the evenings).
Doesn't make sense to go to Lathrop then to Burbank for SoCal.