Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C990FC12-1326-4F13-9947-DC7DA6A378B9.jpeg
7A39ABE6-3EF2-43B6-9E07-3218FA2C5DE0.jpeg
77B64291-107C-47AE-96C5-B22AB3E65919.jpeg

more "totally" wrapped M3's

Do we have any ideas for why a higher % of M3s are getting wrapped?

Random guess: Maybe because they're going to sit in the desert (ie the new GF parking lot) for a few extra weeks?

I'd think there are numerous parking lots between Fremont and Reno that would serve the purpose - and the Gigafactory is one area of the country which has constant satellite surveillance:

Compare daily satellite images of Tesla production locations

I just think they aren't cranking out Model 3s as fast as possible for the next two weeks - until they know that they can deliver the finished cars on delivery i.e. after July 1st. - giving two weeks for transit and prep work.

How many battery packs do these plants make in a single day, week or a year?

Please don't answer. Just rhetorical question to drive down the point that making 1000 gas cars a day is different than making 600 EVs with an average pack size of 80 kWh each day.

But I will.

With Tesla's (and Panasonic's) years of know-how in batteries and electric power-trains it is _easier_ for Tesla to produce a BEV than it is for a traditional auto manufacturer to produce an ICE, which has one to two orders of magnitude more moving parts (and in general a much larger number of different components).

Admittedly many fail to see this, which is why they remain convinced that Tesla will go bankrupt.

So much more surprising will the disruption be, when the Model 3 ramp reaches a level where that single car threatens to bankrupt the incumbent auto producers.

From then on, Tesla's continued growth will cause the media to _really_ go into 'super messed up' reporting.

Apologies for the wild digression.

Maybe performance will look different?
They aren't starting to build the AWD drive cars until July, so it's not that. I just think they're trying a new wrapping method(not new in the industry) to fix paint damage issues. Those super-wrapped cars might be on the front of the truck, or going a further distance by truck, thus the need for more protection.

Maybe performance will look different?
Doubtful. People already have access to the configurator and are ordering cars so switching up something cosmetic that some people may or may not like is recipe for trouble.

My theories are:
1) with the tax credit situation looming, lots of cars will be stock-piled in outdoor locations for some period of time so need a bit extra exterior protection
2) these cars are shipping by rail so need extra protection
3) these cars are destined for overseas as demo or showroom unit

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
But I will.

With Tesla's (and Panasonic's) years of know-how in batteries and electric power-trains it is _easier_ for Tesla to produce a BEV than it is for a traditional auto manufacturer to produce an ICE, which has one to two orders of magnitude more moving parts (and in general a much larger number of different components).

Less parts? Really?
Look at all the giblets!

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober