Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Munro’s assembly didn’t include corner molding with faux wood print, so it’s impossible for us to know whether or not his expectations or standards would’ve been offended. I suspect he would’ve made a joke about it (as I have) but perhaps not.

Looks like Munro's vehicles did have the corner straps.

Cory Stuben, President of Munro:

The metal band, tape, and edge protection is 100% a “bandaid.”

I have seen three separate Model Y’s. Our red one (vin 3300), our blue one (vin 700ish) and a white one (VIN 25000 ish).

Each vehicle has the metal band but the parts were different on all of them. Different tape color, and the plastic pieces were clearly cut from a some quickly-sourced-stock-material.

The metal bad routes through the Plastic housing for the Thermal system and the band cracked a portion of it.

The “faux wood” I have not seen.​

When asked what might be the underlying cause of this; did they not anticipate that unit would need to have more support than its mounting bolts? Was it normally designed to be oriented vertically? Cory had some thoughts:

My hypothesis…. Tesla’s the original design of the LCC (Liquid Cooled Condenser) had a shorter “stack height” to begin with. They may have needed to add more “stack-height” for the Heat pump system to perform optimally.

I think the add stack-height made the cantilever distance too far which created a longer moment arm filled with heavy fluid in the LCC.

Tesla probably found leaks and/or failures (at the sealing face) during Validation and testing. THEN added the “Band-Aid.”

There is another smaller Stacked-Plate-Cooler used for the chiller on their thermal system, mounted in the same orientation, secured common, and that does not have the band.​

Source: Tesla Model Y Owners Have Found Home Depot *sugar* Used To Mount A Critical Part

Media traction on this post is insane! It's Tesla hate bait.

Look - IDGAF if the whole effing thing is made of MDF particle board. Best car I ever owned: hold my three kids, my dog and all their sh*t. Rips when you hit the right pedal, stops very hard, corners...ok and looks decent. This car is a deal for $60k and will be unstoppable below that.

I am on the middle ground here. Is a hack fix pretty? No. But I have been the engineer with a whole factory line of people staring me in the face for a fix and I've suggest some pretty ugly but safe and functional fixes. For something that is buried under the cowl, I really don't care as long as its safe, fixes an issue and holds up to weather conditions. The wood I don't like because it's going to get wet and rot. Plastic is much better here. I can't wait for someone to cut them off and see what happens. Going to be a drama fest.

I mean...good luck with that.
It’s not legal to sell a car with aftermarket parts or modifications as new. They must replace the parts with factory parts. If Tesla needs to revise their original parts then those are what have to be installed in a new vehicle. What they’ve put in these cars are not original Tesla parts. It’s illegal.

It’s not legal to sell a car with aftermarket parts or modifications as new. They must replace the parts with factory parts. If Tesla needs to revise their original parts then those are what have to be installed in a new vehicle. What they’ve put in these cars are not original Tesla parts. It’s illegal.

So you are saying the parts coming out of the factory aren't new original parts?

Can you post me the section of "law" that your are referencing here?
What defines an original Tesla part?
How are two pieces of L shaped plastic different from a clip they bought of McMaster Carr?
What are the values of your shorts?

upload_2020-9-9_20-12-53.png

What a jackass. Don't give jalopnick any clicks for this nonsense.

Can you post me the section of "law" that your are referencing here?
What defines an original Tesla part?
How are two pieces of L shaped plastic different from a clip they bought of McMaster Carr?
What are the values of your shorts?
Automakers have to detail every part of a car. Each part has a code. Those parts aren’t listed. That makes them aftermarket.

Media traction on this post is insane! It's Tesla hate bait.

Look - IDGAF if the whole effing thing is made of MDF particle board. Best car I ever owned: hold my three kids, my dog and all their sh*t. Rips when you hit the right pedal, stops very hard, corners...ok and looks decent. This car is a deal for $60k and will be unstoppable below that.

Completely agree, particularly when the car is properly assembled.

Reactions: GSP
This whole situation disappoints me.
It's only disappointing if the heat pump fails right after the warranty ends. Only time will tell if the fix works!
What a jackass. Don't give jalopnick any clicks for this nonsense.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's speaking from personal experience being an automotive journalist. I've been on a few automotive forums and Tesla definitely has the most "passionate" fans.