Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free app for viewing TeslaCam and Sentry videos on your Android device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update! I got the update last night so I can test out the new format today.

Yeah, combining videos is something I'll be adding in the next few weeks, probably after I get out an iOS version. I'll be releasing the ability to share/save a selected subset of clips (not stitched together) in the next few days, at least.

You're just having a blast with that app huh? I miss us UX design days from eLearning.

Soon I'll need an app for SoulPedal. I designed it with an I2C port and 3.3V on a mini plug. So any BT module could connect to configure user settings. Right now I'm setting vars in code but that's gotta change.

Do you have AP 2.5 hardware? I believe that's a requirement to actually capture Sentry video. Looks like 8/2017 was the point where they started putting HW 2.5 in all vehicles, so you're right on the boundary. I'm not sure how to check definitively. If you do have HW 2.5 maybe it's an issue with the flash drives? They need to be formatted in FAT32.

Great! I don't need you to do anything special, just include a link to the app on the Play Store like you were probably going to anyway.

I have AP2.0. Does that leave me out of this too?

You're just having a blast with that app huh? I miss us UX design days from eLearning.
It's definitely keeping my interest. My day job is in enterprise software so I'm glad to have a side project where I have creative control rather than the direction being pre-defined for me.

Doesnt appear for either option...
Alright I'll put that on my backlog to look into soon. Haven't tested it with an SSD yet personally but I have one and an enclosure laying around.

I have AP2.0. Does that leave me out of this too?
Yeah I think AP2 does not have the ability to actually save videos to the USB drive. Sucks, but maybe they'll work it out in a future update.

I've got a few enhancements and bug fixes I'm working on for the Android version that I'll deploy in a day or two and then I'll focus on the iOS version. I may abandon it since the Stats App guy (according to his twitter) seems to have one almost ready for the App Store, but if his is expensive I may upload my free one eventually just so anyone can access the functionality.

Thanks for linking to the video review, @Watts_Up . I noticed a whole bunch of new downloads today and was wondering what was driving the above-average traffic.

I've got a few enhancements and bug fixes I'm working on for the Android version that I'll deploy in a day or two and then I'll focus on the iOS version. I may abandon it since the Stats App guy (according to his twitter) seems to have one almost ready for the App Store, but if his is expensive I may upload my free one eventually just so anyone can access the functionality.

Thanks for linking to the video review, @Watts_Up . I noticed a whole bunch of new downloads today and was wondering what was driving the above-average traffic.

I just downloaded your app today after my USB-C to USB-A OTG arrived and was looking for something to play the video. This is an awesome app so far already. I've only tried it out for a little and viewed just a few events so far but these were my initial wishes right away: a way to save video onto my phone so I can easily upload it somewhere or just to save it, viewing just 1 video feed in bigger screen (by clicking on it?), would also be cool to be able to just save/move videos of interest to a special folder. This is not your problem and more of a Tesla problem but they need to organize the videos better. They need to just have a folder or folders with all sentry mode events in there so I can easily go and look at the video that corresponds to when a specific event was triggered. Not have to open videos of me just driving and trying to find what I actually want to see. But seriously, this is awesome already! Thanks for this! I mainly wanted something like this so if my car did happen to be damaged, I can review it on my phone right away so I don't have to search very hard for it when I get home. You have made this much easier! I'll be waiting on premium version for sure especially with more functionality!

Agreed that better organization would be nice. Currently everything is side-by-side, so the saved Sentry events are alongside the saved dashcam events with no way to tell the difference.

There will be the ability to zoom a particular video and share a video (which will allow saving to Google drive, etc) in the next update that I'm working on now.

Hi snailboat, great app and I am interested in trying it out. I read from some user post in another forum/site that data was sent out to the net. Do you have info on what is being sent out if you do not share using the premium feature? Interested to see why app needs access to phone's network.

Thank you!

Good question! I always worry about that stuff when I use other Android apps so I am happy to explain: 100% of the network usage is for Firebase Analytics. That's a Google product that allows developers to see anonymized usage statistics for the app as well as crash data. Examples of the things you can see in Firebase: 30 people are using the app right now, 300 users deleted TeslaCam events today, there were 10 crashes today (with info on the lines of code that the crash occurred on). It's very helpful as a developer to have that sort of info to be proactive about fixing usability problems.

If it's enough of a concern for people I can add an enhancement later to be able to toggle off the sharing of Analytics data.

• Helpful
Reactions: NCDoc and elf9
PS, if anybody on here has gone through the purchase for premium mode: First, thank you! Second, can you let me know how the purchase experience was for you? I haven't done in-app purchases before so I'm a little nervous that somebody might pay for the feature and have the functionality fail to unlock or something.

Reactions: BCNY
PS, if anybody on here has gone through the purchase for premium mode: First, thank you! Second, can you let me know how the purchase experience was for you? I haven't done in-app purchases before so I'm a little nervous that somebody might pay for the feature and have the functionality fail to unlock or something.

Working great for me. Premium purchase was simple and the new features are working well.

A few suggested features:
1) When I connect my drive to the phone, it pops up asking if I want to open with two other apps I have installed, but not yours. Would be nice if yours did the same.
2) One click to format the drive and create a TeslaCam folder would be super sweet.
3) A button to eject the drive would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for the hard work!