Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were planning to deploy a kiosk, but so far we haven't had an issue with smartphone access. Or just go re-plug the car every 40 miles...lol.

ios.png

Reactions: Ulmo and dek526
This is a random question I'd like to ask here.

Given such a large install of chargers, if hypothetically you had 240V/415Y power available:
  • would installs be easier/harder/the same in terms of wiring?
  • would overall efficiency be better or the same by a significant amount?
  • cost wise to deploy would it be less/more/same (let's assume for discussion there was no difference to supply 120/208 vs 240/415 in terms of kVa and hw cost from the power company's side).
Power wise cars would get more with 7.6kW vs 6.6kW, and could even dial back the amps if you wanted to (though I don't think that would accomplish much).

I forgot to check this forum but as MITE46 pointed out, use Powerflex app if you do not want anonymous sessions. Worked great! Thank you @MITE46 and Caltech for providing this service!

Just like there is one L3 charger, it might still be cool to designate a couple 80A spots with a recommended courtesy time of 30 minutes before moving. Although, I do not know of any other vehicles that can do 80A beside Teslas with the dual charger setup that can take 72A.

Just like there is one L3 charger, it might still be cool to designate a couple 80A spots with a recommended courtesy time of 30 minutes before moving. Although, I do not know of any other vehicles that can do 80A beside Teslas with the dual charger setup that can take 72A.
Tesla Roadsters can all charge at 70A, and they really need high-amp EVSEs because they can't use superchargers (or any L3 chargers). All the focus for road trips is now on L3 charging so L2 EVSEs are becoming less and less powerful. This probably makes sense but your idea of one or two dedicated 72A spots would be really useful to a few people who need to get a lot of miles in a short time and can't, for whatever reason, use the L3 charger(s).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla Roadsters can all charge at 70A, and they really need high-amp EVSEs because they can't use superchargers (or any L3 chargers). All the focus for road trips is now on L3 charging so L2 EVSEs are becoming less and less powerful. This probably makes sense but your idea of one or two dedicated 72A spots would be really useful to a few people who need to get a lot of miles in a short time and can't, for whatever reason, use the L3 charger(s).

I have a picture around here somewhere of a Roadster charging on “L3”... at Cal Tech. Obviously, the Roadster can be modified to use L3, just like it can be modified to use J1772 or Tesla plugs.

They have oodles of 80 amp stations at Cal Tech... we provided them the cables and plugs.

With the extremely small amount of vehicles that can use anything over 32-48 amps, honestly that’s plenty for slow charging. Heck, half the EVs put there only use 16 amps. If you had two 70 amp charger stations, I can guarantee that a 16 amp Plug-In Prius will be there more than any 70 amp legacy Roadster.

Installing or even planning a charging infrastructure with the thought of a car that hasn’t been produced in 7 years, and only has about 2000 units total worldwide, would not be wise. The other cars that can handle over 48 amps can also use a Supercharger, or a CHAdeMO station (with Tesla supplied adaptor).

Charge slow at home, school or work (where the car will be sitting for hours), and charge fast while “enroute”. 32-48 amps can recharge just about any car overnight. Heck, I’d argue that all hardware should be 80 amp capable, knowing that virtually ALL cars will be 16-48 amps. For the rare car that can accept higher power, it’s waiting for you.

Last edited:
The maximum charge power of the following cars:

16 amps or less (3.8kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2011-2012), Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.

30amps or less (7.2kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2013 and newer at 28 amps, however some are 16 amps), VW eGolf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e.

32 amps

Bolt EV (7.7kW at 240 volts)

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range

40 amps or less (9.6kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S - 2012-2015

Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e

2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

48 amps or less (11.5kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S (2016 and newer)

Tesla Model X

Tesla Model 3 Long Range

70 amps or less (16.8kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Roadster (requires firmware update to use any charge station over 70 amps)

72 amps or less (17.3kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model X and Model S with optional 72 amp charger

80 amps or less (19.2kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S with optional "twin chargers" (2012-2015)

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I've been a fan of the original Caltech Rpi powered L2 chargers. I would get 48A, yielding 41 mph.

I haven't had to visit campus in awhile, but this morning I did. But I couldn't get any charge from the raspberry pi chargers. My Model 3 would error out with "no power at wall". The display shows 48A, as usual. But 3V !!

Now many of the rpi chargers are broken these days :( But there are three known working ones. I tried all three, multiple times, no go. As more cars rolled in, I noticed all the Teslas were charging at the AV 32A chargers. None elected to use the RPi 48A. I assumed the last three RPi chargers bit the dust. I too charged on a AV 32A charger, so it's my J1772 adapter is good.

But on the way out, I noticed a Volt on the RPi 48A. I stopped the car to look- successfully charging!

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I much prefer the RPi 48A. Not just for more current, but I like raspberry pi :)

The RPi chargers were ones I built in my garage, mainly to submit our patents and demo the technology. Since then we have been using AeroVironment, ClipperCreek, and Tesla HPWCs. So sadly the RPis will all be removed in the coming weeks. 48A+ L2 charging will be available once we finish the next round of upgrades.

We are also transitioning to paid sessions... $0.12/kWh all day, which is still a subsidized rate for day time charging in California.

paid.png

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele