Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The RPi chargers were ones I built in my garage, mainly to submit our patents and demo the technology. Since then we have been using AeroVironment, ClipperCreek, and Tesla HPWCs. So sadly the RPis will all be removed in the coming weeks. 48A+ L2 charging will be available once we finish the next round of upgrades.

We are also transitioning to paid sessions... $0.12/kWh all day, which is still a subsidized rate for day time charging in California.

View attachment 337826

Very sad that you will exclude anybody that doesn't have a compatible smartphone.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
FYI, the DC charger at the CalTech lot was behaving strangely yesterday. I used it to charge my Bolt EV a few months ago but yesterday it started the charge normally and then after a few seconds it ended with “charge complete” even though my battery was at 36%. A second attempt yielded the same result.

FYI, the DC charger at the CalTech lot was behaving strangely yesterday. I used it to charge my Bolt EV a few months ago but yesterday it started the charge normally and then after a few seconds it ended with “charge complete” even though my battery was at 36%. A second attempt yielded the same result.
Btcpower is coming to repair it this week. Probably something died in the power electronics module.

Reactions: Jeff N
Looks like the free ride is coming to an end soon, George. It will be interesting to see how this affects useage. Regardless, still the best EVSE installation around!

70AAD14E-42E3-4591-8F05-D80F08CB648F.jpeg

are the chargers at Caltech only for staff and students? or open to the public? Also, Caltech has several parking structures, which lot is the one with Tesla chargers? Than you.
I believe it is public even though the PlugShare page marks it as “restricted”. I have charged there several times.

It’s a little hard to find the first time because it is tucked in from the street and is an underground parking garage.

Caltech Parking Garage #3
1248 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91125

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Reactions: BrokerDon
I believe it is public even though the PlugShare page marks it as “restricted”. I have charged there several times.

It’s a little hard to find the first time because it is tucked in from the street and is an underground parking garage.

I’ve never tried it, but this page seems to have the relevant rules: looks like it’s unrestricted after 5pm, and on weekends.

Visitor Parking - Caltech Parking & Commuter Services

Campus visitors may park in any commuter (unreserved) stall on campus with a daily or weekly permit. Permits are required in all campus lots between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Visitor permits are available at automated pay stations at the following locations:

• Structure #1 (North Wilson Structure)
  • Parking Lot #6 (Tournament Lot )
  • Structure #3 (California Structure)
  • Structure #4 (Holliston Structure)
Visitor permits may be purchased at the following rates:

• 1 hour permit: $2
  • 2 hour permit: $3
  • 3 hour permit: $4
  • 4 hour permit: $5
  • All day permit: $6
  • Weekly permit: $18
A $6 daily permit is valid through the end of the business day (5:00 p.m.) in which the permit is purchased.​

Thank you! I pass by there all the time but I didn't know which lot it was. I guess we just have to pay for parking.

Attachments

• PowerFlex EDF.png
    PowerFlex EDF.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 56