Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Electricity Monday 11th May

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heads up to those on Octopus agile tariff - Monday 11th May 2020 sees several hours where Octopus pay you to use electricity (West Midlands).

The car is already at 73% SoC but may as well top up.

Switching to the agile tariff is the best thing I did (for our electricity use). Referrals available to anyone that wants one ;)

Nick
6AAB7F52-3279-424C-97C6-31D2D9802C28_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm interested in a switch to Agile. Viewing that screenshot is giving me a better idea of how it works in practice. How does the tariff look for daytime hours compared to normal tariffs?

I'm interested in a switch to Agile. Viewing that screenshot is giving me a better idea of how it works in practice. How does the tariff look for daytime hours compared to normal tariffs?

Generally cheaper all hours outside of 1600-1900, 9p/kWh on average but will often fall to <5p/kWh, great for EV charging, windy days are great!

Between 1600-1900 there's a 14p surcharge which makes it typically say ~25p/kWh.

I've attached tomorrow afternoon/evening prices for Midlands.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-10-21-49-51.png
    Capture+_2020-05-10-21-49-51.png
    425 KB · Views: 39
Generally cheaper all hours outside of 1600-1900, 9p/kWh on average but will often fall to <5p/kWh, great for EV charging, windy days are great!

Between 1600-1900 there's a 14p surcharge which makes it typically say ~25p/kWh.

I've attached tomorrow afternoon/evening prices for Midlands.

Brilliant, thank you

What’s it like in the winter months, though?
This month has been a bit atypical, with a lot of sun and a lot of wind and grossly reduced consumption.

This website has all the data and analysis of the Octopus Agile tariff you could wish for.
It doesn't take into account the excellent customer service nor the the £50 you get for using a (my :D) referral.
Crucially, there is no exit fee, so it's effectively risk free.

What’s it like in the winter months, though?
This month has been a bit atypical, with a lot of sun and a lot of wind and grossly reduced consumption.

Not as bad as you’d think. Wind makes a big difference and we get plenty of that in the winter. As someone suggested above, it’s worth looking at the historical rates for an idea. I’d say add 1-2p to my averages above. Still massively beneficial vs a standard rate.

I suppose worst case scenario you can be on Agile in the summer and swap to Go in the winter...
If and when I get my solar panels and Powerwall I may well take the plunge.

The key to successful use of the Agile tariff is to minimise use of grid electricity between 16:00 and 19:00 daily. If you can do that, then you are on to a winner.

Reactions: drewpost