Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Electricity Monday 11th May

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if the surcharge is different in different regions but it says 12p for me

Yes it varies by region, Eastern is £0.13 (exc. VAT) for example...

upload_2020-5-11_11-17-32.png

So 4pm - 7pm is a fixed 13p (13.65p/kWh) surcharge rather than just natural change in wholesale pricing. Never realised that. So it really is there just to disincentivise use between those hours.

The tariff is intended to encourage change, so there is an increased penalty in that peak period.

This isn't an attempt to make more money in that peak time period as in an ideal world nobody on the tariff would be using power at that time of day.

It is just a deliberate decision to make that time period a lot less attractive.

I did the sums - and it was cheaper for me to move from Go to Agile even without having solar or battery backup.

We aren't changing much in the house either - I've just asked that we try to avoid putting the washing machine or tumble drier on between 4-7pm. Dishwasher goes on overnight anyway.

I did the sums - and it was cheaper for me to move from Go to Agile even without having solar or battery backup.

We aren't changing much in the house either - I've just asked that we try to avoid putting the washing machine or tumble drier on between 4-7pm. Dishwasher goes on overnight anyway.

Same here. Has halved my bills compared to Go (albeit prices are stupidly low in the current situation). Perhaps nearer a third off in normal times. No PV or solar here either.

This has been my experience as well. We don't have battery backup nor solar. I do work from home (well I did before the pandemic and will afterwards) so my usage is higher during the day and being on the 7-9p/hour of Agile vs the 14p from Go make a bg difference.

The only way I really change my behaviour vs when I was on Go is to look at the rates and plan car charging windows more than I would have with Go. Go was set and forget. With Agile, I will sometimes pay more than the 5p I have on Go BUT the savings throughout the day more than make up for it overall.

Just switched to Agile from Go, flip over at midnight. Where I can view the upcoming day's rates?
They are published just after 4pm.
You can log on to your account to see them.
I use IFTTT to post to a Google sheet and then do a Macro to manipulate the CSV into another tab that has the 30 min periods.
There are apps out there too.
Enjoy!

Reactions: davidmc
They are published just after 4pm.
You can log on to your account to see them.
I use IFTTT to post to a Google sheet and then do a Macro to manipulate the CSV into another tab that has the 30 min periods.
There are apps out there too.
Enjoy!

Are they just straight up on the main account page? Just trying to work out if I can't see them because I've not actually switched yet, or just looking in the wrong page.

Good to know about IFTTT. Another Pi project in the pipeline it seems...

Once you are actually on Agile you will see the details on your main account page:

upload_2020-5-11_16-40-1.png

I have also found the app 'Octopus Energy Watchdog' to be well worth the modest price.

Octopus do not publish their own app, they have provided an API which allows app developers to work with the data and of course allows us as users to download consumption and tariff data.

Personally I use Excel together with the API to get the information I need.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Sod’s Law I’m due to be switched over at midnight and got tomorrow’s rates and it’s under 5p for one half hour block. Lol.

Don't expect to necessarily save on the car charging directly. If we break out the car charging, it actually works out marginally more expensive vs Go. The real savings come from typical usage throughout the day where, for me, it's a significant savings. Even covering the additional amount used in charging, I still come out ahead.