Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging on some used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to check out the Ev CPO website on a regular basis to see market trends and what’s available. Although I have two model s’ in the garage already. So this morning I noticed some 90 battery cars listed with free supercharging. Anyone know what the heck is going on here?
CCA572E3-D4E1-4999-98B7-D1CE999B1AB3.jpeg

If you buy used through Tesla they often offer free supercharging along with an extended warranty. Sometimes they even ludicrous a non-ludicrous car just to make it more enticing.
Yes and no.

Within the last several months Tesla has actually REMOVED the unlimited free Supercharging for life on it's used cars it resells. If you go through Tesla as of the time of this post you will NOT receive unlimited free Supercharging for life on car that would have previously included it if the previous owner had sold it privately or traded it in to any other car dealership than Tesla. Makes zero sense, right? Used to be you wanted to buy used cars from Tesla and now you actually don't if that's an important feature to you or you wish to use that as a selling point in the future.

What used to be a given that a car built before January 2017 would include this and transfer free from owner to owner has now become a complex and confusing scenario for anyone shopping or a used car now. Any car that is currently and was after a certain date earlier this year may now NOT include free Supercharging depending on if it was ever resold by Tesla as used or not.

You now need to check each individual car you're interested in to make sure it includes this feature.

Yes and no.

Within the last several months Tesla has actually REMOVED the unlimited free Supercharging for life on it's used cars it resells. If you go through Tesla as of the time of this post you will NOT receive unlimited free Supercharging for life on car that would have previously included it if the previous owner had sold it privately or traded it in to any other car dealership than Tesla. Makes zero sense, right? Used to be you wanted to buy used cars from Tesla and now you actually don't if that's an important feature to you or you wish to use that as a selling point in the future.

What used to be a given that a car built before January 2017 would include this and transfer free from owner to owner has now become a complex and confusing scenario for anyone shopping or a used car now. Any car that is currently and was after a certain date earlier this year may now NOT include free Supercharging depending on if it was ever resold by Tesla as used or not.

You now need to check each individual car you're interested in to make sure it includes this feature.

And to make things more fun, used cars get "free supercharging" and new cars seem to get "free unlimited supercharging" which are both different from "free unlimited transferable supercharging" that was on (almost) all older cars, but now gets stripped out under some ambiguous circumstances (owned by tesla [X] owned by a wholesaler / auction house [X] owned by a whole sailor [ ] owned by Dr House [X] )

This is probably to make the "not-CPO" buying process even more adventurous.

At least you don't have to go see Cal and his dog Spot.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
When I picked up my used P85D a month ago, I inquired about both and they said no more FUSC for used cars and ludicrous, forget about it! At least they forgot to charge me the $2000 to transport it from Orlando to Mt. Kisco, NY via Paramus. Maybe they figured I didn’t need enticing; 2015 P85D in titanium metallic, 34K miles, CF trim for $50,200. Car is pristine, only had to put a set of arachnids on it to make it perfect (for me).

Yes and no.

What's worse is that it seems that Tesla and its service center employees can simply stonewall you with vague answers hoping you'll just give up and then it may at some point just disappear, there's really nothing you can do about it. I've read about some posters buying used X Ludicrous Performance models only to find that Ludicrous was then stripped from the vehicle "to preserve battery wear". It sucks when a vehicle is so reliant on software, things like this are bound to occur.

wow, took delivery 8 days ago and now they are offering it again.
With an important caveat: You as the buyer from Tesla will get FUSC but it is NOT transferable to subsequent owners. Better but still won't have any value for resale and now further confuses the already confusing saga of FUSC.

BTW, this is an important enough change to how things work to warrant it's own thread for historical reference and conversation so I started a new thread dedicated to this update here if anyone wants to discuss further: click me.

Last edited:
And to make things more fun, used cars get "free supercharging" and new cars seem to get "free unlimited supercharging" which are both different from "free unlimited transferable supercharging" that was on (almost) all older cars, but now gets stripped out under some ambiguous circumstances (owned by tesla [X] owned by a wholesaler / auction house [X] owned by a whole sailor [ ] owned by Dr House [X] )

This is probably to make the "not-CPO" buying process even more adventurous.

At least you don't have to go see Cal and his dog Spot.
I tried getting clarification from tesla regarding the unlimited part
To no avail, they kept telling me some used cars come with free supercharging and some don’t. I kept repeating that’s not what I’m curious about and that I want to know why new cars say free UNLIMITED supercharging and used cars don’t have the unlimited part. They kept repeating the same exact thing as if they were reading a script.

When I picked up my used P85D a month ago, I inquired about both and they said no more FUSC for used cars and ludicrous, forget about it! At least they forgot to charge me the $2000 to transport it from Orlando to Mt. Kisco, NY via Paramus. Maybe they figured I didn’t need enticing; 2015 P85D in titanium metallic, 34K miles, CF trim for $50,200. Car is pristine, only had to put a set of arachnids on it to make it perfect (for me).

The important difference is on a P85D, a hardware upgrade (the Inconel pyrofuse) is required for Ludicrous mode, while on P90D, P100D and Raven models, it's a software flag AFAIK.

Yup appreciate the feedback, will definitely be keeping a papertrail.

I'm certainly glad I've got screen caps of my "transferable lifetime unlimited supercharging" since tesla now won't admit that any such thing ever existed. I can't even get them to tell me what my "not-cpo" warranty is after I hit 50k miles. "Talk to a service center" ... wha?

Document everything you care about about the car -- screen grabs / printouts, definitions of terms, etc.

You want supporting evidence in case some time in 2022 your "free unlimited supercharging*" turns into "Free 500KWH supercharging per year".

I've been arguing about my recent used purchase from Tesla for a while now. During EOY, they briefly added FUSC to a good amount of their inventory. I took screenshots of my car before purchasing, showing the car advertised with FUSC. I have multiple emails from my sales advisor confirming that while it didn't show up in the system (maybe the website glitched), it would be added since I had proof.

It's now been over a month since I took delivery and my account still reflects Pay Per Use and I was charged for a recent Supercharing session. My advisor has now stopped responding to my emails and I'm at a loss now as to what to do or who to talk to about this issue.

I've been arguing about my recent used purchase from Tesla for a while now. During EOY, they briefly added FUSC to a good amount of their inventory. I took screenshots of my car before purchasing, showing the car advertised with FUSC. I have multiple emails from my sales advisor confirming that while it didn't show up in the system (maybe the website glitched), it would be added since I had proof.

It's now been over a month since I took delivery and my account still reflects Pay Per Use and I was charged for a recent Supercharing session. My advisor has now stopped responding to my emails and I'm at a loss now as to what to do or who to talk to about this issue.

I'd start declining the CC charges, add a prepaid card with no balance, remove your card entirely or go sit in the service center until they get someone on the phone.

I was thinking of snagging a 90D at the end of the year but it disappeared when I went to show the woman some cars. Had we pulled the trigger this is exactly what i'd be doing, especially since I'm looking at the service center form my office. :D

I'm a fan of Tesla, recognize that they're a young organization, and willing to tolerate some level of administrative incompetence. But at some point, you have to get your state AG office involved.

Had no EAP and no FUSC when I took delivery on my 2017 90D back in December, but it was listed on all of my screen grabs of my car and was on my actual sales documentation (which I printed off and filed, in addiiton to saving screengrabs).

provided all of the above to my sales advisor, and within couple days, she got it straightened out. Learned later that it was a mistake somewhere on Tesla's part to have left it on the paperwork, as their practice to strip out FUSC and EAP. But their mistake wasnt my concern. They resolved it.