Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I’m sure this topic has been covered many times before. I’m buying a late 2016 model S from a private party. He is the second owner and did get it transferred. My question is SHOULD I be entitled to free supercharging as well with this vehicle. I’m willing to fight for it but just want to know others experiences so I can set my expectations! Thanks in advance for the feedback!

The Owner should be able to provide a screen shot of his vehicle having Free transferable Supercharging for the life of the car.

If this is the case, then you should be eligible for it when you transfer ownership.

You will notify Tesla when you set up an account to transfer ownership. The Supercharging should transfer at that time.

Only if you go through a dealer will it be cancelled.

Newer cars that have FSFL are for the original owner only...will not transfer.

Caution. Some Tesla have FSFL transferable, but only once. The 3rd owner will not get it.

No need to fight with Tesla. It is simply administrative.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
The Owner should be able to provide a screen shot of his vehicle having Free transferable Supercharging for the life of the car.

If this is the case, then you should be eligible for it when you transfer ownership.

You will notify Tesla when you set up an account to transfer ownership. The Supercharging should transfer at that time.

Caution. Some Tesla have FSFL transferable, but only once. The 3rd owner will not get it.

Awesome, thanks for the response. Where in his account would he be able to find that. I have a model 3 and this S is for my wife. Is it on the app or actually in the account from the webpage. Thanks again, greatly appreciate your time.

You should be able to click the "learn more" link on the webpage that should give you more info.

upload_2020-1-12_8-50-34.png

Learn More will now only take you to this generic page:
Supercharging

I don't think you could find out on the account page whether you have transferable or non-transferable supercharging anymore.
You're right, I just read through it. Probably need to look at the original paperwork. However, I purchased a 2016 and specifically called Tesla to ask and they said it may not transfer. Not only did it transfer, but it also transferred to the person I ended up selling it to. But that was back in late 2018...

You're right, I just read through it. Probably need to look at the original paperwork. However, I purchased a 2016 and specifically called Tesla to ask and they said it may not transfer. Not only did it transfer, but it also transferred to the person I ended up selling it to. But that was back in late 2018...

I think the free transfer to new owners deadline was around Jan 2017. So a 2016 MS should be fine unless it was a late 2016 model that was delivered in 2017 originally....

Hey all, I’m sure this topic has been covered many times before. I’m buying a late 2016 model S from a private party. He is the second owner and did get it transferred. My question is SHOULD I be entitled to free supercharging as well with this vehicle. I’m willing to fight for it but just want to know others experiences so I can set my expectations! Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Every car made in 2016 definitely has free for life of the car Supercharging. You shouldn’t need to fight very hard. (I bought my S new in 12/16 and free for life of car lasted for several months after.) If anyone posts conflicting information, ignore them!

Every car made in 2016 definitely has free for life of the car Supercharging. You shouldn’t need to fight very hard. (I bought my S new in 12/16 and free for life of car lasted for several months after.) If anyone posts conflicting information, ignore them!
I am sorry, this is no longer true. It was initially, but as Tesla has purchased cars and are reselling them as used the "free unlimited supercharging" has been removed.

Yes, if you purchased a used 2016 car from a 3rd party that has unlimited supercharging, it will stay with the next buyer. However, if you purchased it from Tesla as a used car (or the person prior to you purchased it from Tesla as a used car) it may not have free supercharging.

None of the cars I see on Tesla web page for used cars have unlimited supercharging listed - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

New cars free supercharging transfers to the next buyer, but not to subsequent owners after that.

So I bought a used model s from Tesla. I have pay per uses as it was stated in the purchase agreement. I’ve used the supercharged a few times now and they haven’t charged my account yet and it’s been a week lol. Idk if it’s free or not?

I'd caution against relying solely on the account detail page as well. I purchased my 2019 Model S at a time when Tesla was offering free supercharging (end of quarter). The account details page however says 'Pay per use' but I've never been charged a fee at a supercharger. I have screenshots of the original car listing where free unlimited supercharging is listed as well as a printout of the option codes from EV-CPO showing the SC05 code attached to the car just in case.

I am sorry, this is no longer true. It was initially, but as Tesla has purchased cars and are reselling them as used the "free unlimited supercharging" has been removed.

Yes, if you purchased a used 2016 car from a 3rd party that has unlimited supercharging, it will stay with the next buyer. However, if you purchased it from Tesla as a used car (or the person prior to you purchased it from Tesla as a used car) it may not have free supercharging.

None of the cars I see on Tesla web page for used cars have unlimited supercharging listed - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla
I was responding to the OP who made it clear he was buying from a private party and my comments were correct.

Is there any truth that Tesla might be removing these features if sold from a third party dealer?

I read in another thread that, if Tesla sells the vehicle through auction to a dealer, they are removing features later. I haven't seen this disclosed anywhere and I'm a wholesale dealer. It seems unethical unless they disclose that certain features are being removed before the car is sold at auction.

Not unethical. It is their stated policy, so full disclosure. Been discussed many times in this forum as well.

Believe Cadillac does the same thing with their On-trac. If it had some prepaid contract left, the new ower does not get that credited to them when they set up a new data pack.

Is there any truth that Tesla might be removing these features if sold from a third party dealer?

I read in another thread that, if Tesla sells the vehicle through auction to a dealer, they are removing features later. I haven't seen this disclosed anywhere and I'm a wholesale dealer. It seems unethical unless they disclose that certain features are being removed before the car is sold at auction.
I have not read about any cars being defeatured through an independent non-Tesla Inc sale.

There have been cases of defeatured cars coming from auction. With the timing looking very shady on Tesla’s part. But we have not seen any of the paperwork to know full disclosure.

it’s perfectly ethical (imho) if done in an open way. Feature documented and removed before it is shown at auction. Just like if Tesla decided to sell all cars at auction without a front passenger seat.

it’s perfectly ethical (imho) if done in an open way. Feature documented and removed before it is shown at auction. Just like if Tesla decided to sell all cars at auction without a front passenger seat.

I agree this would be ethical and is a good example.

My fear is that they are not disclosing this and are removing the features after sale. I have seen many Teslas running at Manheim, being sold by Tesla, with various software features enabled such as EAP and/or FUSC. If they were to try and disable that after the sale that would be very unethical.

I haven't yet seen a data point of this happening through Manheim. The one that is interesting is a Lemon Law buyback being discussed on this forum. In that example the dealer is claiming they were defeatured after purchase. I've seen lemons running at Manheim so I'm a little suspect now.

I would think dealers would be up in arms if this were happening though.