Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free unlimited supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't know if Tesla will treat a transfer to a family member as a change of ownership or not.

I have learned that Tesla chat is clueless.

Apparently it depends on when the car was purchased and by whom. I’ve not heard of Tesla affording any special privileges to family members, other than allowing a reservation holder to allow a family member to make the actual purchase.

If you are buying a new tesla right now, the free supercharging will not transfer to anyone if you "sell" the car.

Technically you can sell your car to your daughter and leave the car in your "mytesla" account, to keep the free supercharging. That's an option for family members to just share the same tesla account. But leave the legal ownership in her name if you'd like.

Reactions: SSonnentag
If you are buying a new tesla right now, the free supercharging will not transfer to anyone if you "sell" the car.

Technically you can sell your car to your daughter and leave the car in your "mytesla" account, to keep the free supercharging. That's an option for family members to just share the same tesla account. But leave the legal ownership in her name if you'd like.

Yep. Was thinking the same if I were OP. Just keep the account, otherwise there is a huge risk to lose the FUSC.

I remember some people chose 90D over 100D right before 1/15/2017. The price was only 3K difference.

This was the time when Tesla tried to get rid of 90 kwh batteries.

If they knew it was going to retro on FUSC, I am pretty sure they would have chosen 100D due to the much bigger battery size. Although on paper it is only 10kwh, I remember the actual battery size difference is like 17 kwh. Fortunately, people in TMC were gentle enough to move on with their 90D and most did not complain about it after they found out. Or maybe I missed that "angry customer" thread.
Yeah, two of our cars were in that situation. We ended up with one 90D and one 100D but both would've been 100Ds if we'd known in advance that free Supercharging would've been available. While I do enjoy my 90D...one of the last with grey leather, I do wish I'd gotten a 100D with ultra white seats! Maybe one day I'll get the 100D as a hand-me-down. :)