Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freeway performance and range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the car out along the M2 today to Bella Vista, visiting a customer. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the range projection climb quickly to exceed the 'Typical Range' displayed on the dash - in each of the 10,25 and 50km average variants.

At one stage the range was actually projecting 450km until I got back into more traffic - the car seems to really like 105 km/h. The usual highway patrol keeping things sane. It didn't matter which way I was going so it wasn't an elevation change messing with the numbers, and it was 33ºC so the air conditioning was working. :)

Anyone else seen how well the car works at a sustained 100+?

I took the car out along the M2 today to Bella Vista, visiting a customer. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the range projection climb quickly to exceed the 'Typical Range' displayed on the dash - in each of the 10,25 and 50km average variants.

At one stage the range was actually projecting 450km until I got back into more traffic - the car seems to really like 105 km/h. The usual highway patrol keeping things sane. It didn't matter which way I was going so it wasn't an elevation change messing with the numbers, and it was 33ºC so the air conditioning was working. :)

Anyone else seen how well the car works at a sustained 100+?

Yep, I've done two trips with at least 4hrs spent at 110+km/h. Both times the Wh/km fell below 200 which was very pleasing. The last trip which was over 300km actually ended at 189Wh/km which I think is fantastic.

I have just driven from the Pyrmont Supercharger to Bundanoon. Distance according to the navigation was 151Km.
It was at or better than rated range until after Pheasants Nest but after that the range started to suffer from the climb, plus it started to rain. I set the cruise to the posted limit the whole way.
I started with 489 Rated Range and arrived with 295 and this has gone down to 287 after about an hour.
Previous experience shows the return journey uses quite a bit less.