Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freeyourtesla.com tablet mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and gals. I was hunting around for various tablet mounting solutions for my MY and stumbled across this website:

Freeyourtesla.com

Apologies if this has been posted before but I did a search first and couldn't find anything.

It says it is designed for iPad but I decided to take a chance and see if it would work with a couple of different Android tablets that I have. Francesco is the inventor and he was kind enough to throw in a few various pad sizes for me. The thinnest rubber pad worked perfectly on two different Android tablets. I would think it would work with any newer tablet from any manufacturer as long as it wasn't too thick, like say, the old fire tablets.

With his permission I am sharing this on TMC. Price seemed a little high at first for just two clips but once you see the amount of time and engineering that have gone into them I think you will see the value. Fits perfectly and the tablet is stable and snug. Doesn't move a bit or vibrate which I was worried about.

If you're looking for a tablet mount solution this is THE one IMHO.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Ps- at first I had then spread too far apart (which you can see in some of the pics) and they had trouble hooking underneath. At Francesco's direction I moved them closer to the center and they snap on and off perfectly and still hold the tablet completely snug.

This also works with my pixel phone (with no case) as well. Brilliant!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• PXL_20201027_195216835.jpg
    PXL_20201027_195216835.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 1,579
  • PXL_20201025_185714303.jpg
    PXL_20201025_185714303.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 373
  • PXL_20201025_185705892.jpg
    PXL_20201025_185705892.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 363
  • PXL_20201024_212911937.jpg
    PXL_20201024_212911937.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 360
  • PXL_20201024_212852742.jpg
    PXL_20201024_212852742.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 362
Please know that this is a genuine question - I'm not trolling, I'm just genuinely curious. What is the point of this? Why do you need a tablet in your Tesla? What is the use case?

For the same reason that in modern aircraft they have a Primary Flight Display and a Multi-function display. Also, because Tesla has a closed architecture and do not allow for third parties to add applications.

I like Waze. This would be a good use case for that. I like to monitor my email. I like to watch or listen to sports and Spotify and Tune-In do not always have the games I want. Do I need to go on?

I do agree that the price is too high. Needs to come down by at least half.

For the same reason that in modern aircraft they have a Primary Flight Display and a Multi-function display. Also, because Tesla has a closed architecture and do not allow for third parties to add applications.

I like Waze. This would be a good use case for that. I like to monitor my email. I like to watch or listen to sports and Spotify and Tune-In do not always have the games I want. Do I need to go on?

I do agree that the price is too high. Needs to come down by at least half.

I get that, when we travel we usually have several apps rolling nav.

Crazy that just not too long ago people relied on physical paper maps.

I've seen a few photos of phones clipped to the screen in the Y. I think we'll find a similar solution once we get our Y.

I do like the idea of having a second "unlocked" screen to work with... I also love Waze and like to stream SXM.

Once I get my MY (scheduled for next Tues Nov 3rd) I might make one of those mounts on my 3D printer, seems like a fun/worthwhile project.

Please know that this is a genuine question - I'm not trolling, I'm just genuinely curious. What is the point of this? Why do you need a tablet in your Tesla? What is the use case?

No, That's a fair question for sure. Primarily for Waze, although the Teslawaze works pretty good. I just don't like losing audio controls while the browser's open.

Also, I find myself being the chauffeur for my wife most weekends so it's nice to head out to the back of the lot and pop on YouTube TV to check on the games while she's in the grocery, Target, the mall etc. And before anyone says anything, NOT while driving.

Lastly, I'm an adjuster / amateur weather geek and I watch live radar pretty much constantly during the summer hail months here in Colorado. It has saved me a few times by giving me enough advanced notice to get home or reroute. Shamelessly, I'll admit that I think it looks pretty cool too to have live streaming color radar on a secondary screen in the car.

It was honestly more of a whim type of project. Thought it was cool and figured I'd help the guy out. No regrets!

Interesting idea. Not as clean as the taptes solution, bit more flexible for different tablet sizes.

TAPTES tConsole for Tesla Model 3 Y Apple Carplay, iPad iPhone Mount Holder.

I had previously made a tablet mount for my M3 to go where the Tapes one goes. I used a couple of cell phone dash brackets, velcro and magnets to put it in that location. Worked pretty well but the angle wasn't great and it was further away which is harder to see on a 7-8" tablet. Eventually gave up and went back to the charging pad. not that it's a huge deal, but there is some disassembly and reassembly required on their mount and I thought this was a simpler option. There's definitely looks clean though once installed.

It really does work good for phones without cases too. I haven't been able to find a phone mount that I like that doesn't require a case and a magnet. Way better than flopping around in the cup holders.

Last edited:
Lastly, I'm an adjuster / amateur weather geek and I watch live radar pretty much constantly during the summer hail months here in Colorado. It has saved me a few times by giving me enough advanced notice to get home or reroute. Shamelessly, I'll admit that I think it looks pretty cool too to have live streaming color radar on a secondary screen in the car.
OT, but what do you use for your weather radar? I've been using wunderground, but they've been getting less and less useful over time. Looking for a decent replacement...

OT, but what do you use for your weather radar? I've been using wunderground, but they've been getting less and less useful over time. Looking for a decent replacement...

I switch between my radar at night and radar Express during the day, mainly for the way they render in horizontal mode on the tablet.

My absolute favorite is Storm shield. I feel they have the best combination of detail and features.

I use WeatherBug for their rain prediction and because there's a weather station at my local high school only a mile away. Otherwise I don't use it much.

Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
I switch between my radar at night and radar Express during the day, mainly for the way they render in horizontal mode on the tablet.

My absolute favorite is Storm shield. I feel they have the best combination of detail and features.

I use WeatherBug for their rain prediction and because there's a weather station at my local high school only a mile away. Otherwise I don't use it much.

Hope this helps!

Check out RadarScope on iOS. Its not free but probably has the best radar features for meteorologists and weather enthusiasts.

So assuming I put an iPad in my car, how do I get CarPlay to work on it?
I'm far from an Apple expert but I don't think that carplay has anything to do with it. You just place the iPad in the mount and turn the iPad on. It will function exactly the same as if you were holding the iPad, you just don't have to hold it because it's got a snazzy home to live in.

To route audio from the iPad to your car's speakers, I believe you can pair the iPad with the car's Bluetooth, following the exact same procedure you use to pair your phone with the car's Bluetooth. But the car will only talk to one Bluetooth device at a time so you will have to choose between your phone and the iPad.

if you have an iphone with hotspot ability, then go to settings in the ipad and turn on "automatically join hotspot"..
At first, this whole concept seemed unnecessary, but on second thought, it's pretty cool to have a second screen - waze, podcasts, communication (whatsapp, etc..), or anything else. The increased risk of distracted driving should be a concern though

Reactions: imola.zhp
You can run Waze or ABRP on it while the main sceen runs its Tesla navigation.

I have the same one from Freeyourtesla, be sure to use the discount code in the video description.

Fred

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals. I was hunting around for various tablet mounting solutions for my MY and stumbled across this website:

Freeyourtesla.com

Apologies if this has been posted before but I did a search first and couldn't find anything.

It says it is designed for iPad but I decided to take a chance and see if it would work with a couple of different Android tablets that I have. Francesco is the inventor and he was kind enough to throw in a few various pad sizes for me. The thinnest rubber pad worked perfectly on two different Android tablets. I would think it would work with any newer tablet from any manufacturer as long as it wasn't too thick, like say, the old fire tablets.

With his permission I am sharing this on TMC. Price seemed a little high at first for just two clips but once you see the amount of time and engineering that have gone into them I think you will see the value. Fits perfectly and the tablet is stable and snug. Doesn't move a bit or vibrate which I was worried about.

If you're looking for a tablet mount solution this is THE one IMHO.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Ps- at first I had then spread too far apart (which you can see in some of the pics) and they had trouble hooking underneath. At Francesco's direction I moved them closer to the center and they snap on and off perfectly and still hold the tablet completely snug.

This also works with my pixel phone (with no case) as well. Brilliant!

Enjoy!

That mount just looks like a 3D-printed piece. Seems pretty expensive for something that is very niche. It only works with iPads and 2020 and earlier models of 3 and Y.

This new one looks really good. It works with all tablets and phones on the market because it’s magnetic. It is also compatible with all years of model 3 and Y.
The site is:

TesAutoX.com

Cheers,

Kris