Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Delivery Experience - THEY COULDN'T LOCATE MY CAR!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And an update...
Since Tesla offered to Lyft me to the BART station to get to the airport this morning, I asked to be picked up at 7:50am. All was set, but the driver showed up a full 10 minutes early and I wasn't ready. I sent him a text to let him know that he could start the ride and I'd be out in five minutes. He called and hadn't read my text. He said he couldn't wait and asked me to cancel.
I couldn't cancel since the ride was requested by Tesla. But I quickly tried to find another driver nearby. No dice.
Uber also had a 15 minute wait to get to my house. I don't live in the sticks... But I guess demand just isn't there.
Anyway, I ended up asking a family member to drive me, which was inconvenient and embarrassing as a grown up to have to do.. but I am without the car I planned on having by now.
So now I'm paying $12 for a one-way ride and get to stand - with my luggage - for 45 minutes before the herd thins and I can sit. Mind you, I'll be on my feet the whole day for work, so this is why the exorbitant fee and disgustingness of BART is irritating.
Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent this morning!
Crossing my fingers that Tesla can get things right on Thursday...

• Love
Reactions: EVCollies
My advice is: Don't settle. You can be flexible and take a car with a different VIN if your lender can be flexible. But don't agree to a different configuration. I took delivery on Sept 30 in Rocklin, and after waiting 3 hours for a home delivery that didn't happen, I found out that the car with my VIN was still in Fremont. The SC matched me with the color and options I ordered, except for the wheels. They promised to place an order for the 19" wheels I configured (and paid for). 5 weeks later, Tesla refunded my overpayment and I'm still stuck with the Aeros. I regret not waiting for my exact configuration.

The SC manager sent an email 3 weeks ago confirming that the wheels were ordered, but then I received a follow up call from someone else who said they had no record of an order. When I told her that I received a refund and didn't want to pay the after market cost to upgrade the wheels, she said "Deposit the check. We'll make this right at no charge." One week later, and I'm hearing crickets. Frankly, I'd rather have the wheels and Tesla can have the money.

My next step is to drive to the SC and stay until I have the wheels. I'm not unreasonable when I'm kept informed. But after 3 failed delivery attempts, an 11th inning equipment swap with a concession on my end, and then a run around for parts that roll out of their factory every minute, I'm losing my patience.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
An update to my 19" wheel order wait- SC called yesterday afternoon to set an appointment to replace my wheels! Good to know the rep was hard at work during the radio silence. It will be nearly 6 weeks since I took delivery, but I'll have the wheels I ordered next week. It makes me wonder how much revenue Tesla has offered to give up in good will after all the bumps in the road so many have experienced with delivery...

And an update...
Since Tesla offered to Lyft me to the BART station to get to the airport this morning, I asked to be picked up at 7:50am. All was set, but the driver showed up a full 10 minutes early and I wasn't ready. I sent him a text to let him know that he could start the ride and I'd be out in five minutes. He called and hadn't read my text. He said he couldn't wait and asked me to cancel.

You're about 10,000% more patient than I am.

For what it's worth (and not to throw more cold water on your situation), but I checked out the inventory and so-called "production constrained" stories myself. There are hundreds of Model 3s, probably well over 1000 at the Factory alone, and in holding lots in the business parks nearby, and at least 200 at the DC itself. In addition, just walking around the Fremont DC, I randomly overheard two instances of buyers with a rep saying things like "Okay, but that's not what I ordered..." and the DC rep does what looks like a too-practiced song and dance of "Let me go look into it."

I'm convinced there is no "supply" problem. There are just too many stories like yours for that excuse to hold water anymore, particularly when the factory is A MILE AWAY. "The mission" and peoples' good will are being exploited, plain and simple. The best case at this point is sheer incompetence, the worst is, well, obvious.

You're about 10,000% more patient than I am.

For what it's worth (and not to throw more cold water on your situation), but I checked out the inventory and so-called "production constrained" stories myself. There are hundreds of Model 3s, probably well over 1000 at the Factory alone, and in holding lots in the business parks nearby, and at least 200 at the DC itself. In addition, just walking around the Fremont DC, I randomly overheard two instances of buyers with a rep saying things like "Okay, but that's not what I ordered..." and the DC rep does what looks like a too-practiced song and dance of "Let me go look into it."

I'm convinced there is no "supply" problem. There are just too many stories like yours for that excuse to hold water anymore, particularly when the factory is A MILE AWAY. "The mission" and peoples' good will are being exploited, plain and simple. The best case at this point is sheer incompetence, the worst is, well, obvious.

You realize how many people have reservations, right????

UPDATE: The car was ready and waiting on Thursday as promised. They were great with explaining everything, I never felt rushed, and they apologized again for the first delivery experience.
I'm absolutely blown away by this car. It's a completely different driving experience from anything I've driven before and was worth the extra hassle and waiting.
Definitely know that Tesla is experiencing a lot of growth and that there are people who have had worse experiences and have waited far longer than I did for their 3s, so I want to state that myself.
I'll post separately about the car itself as I read on the forums!

UPDATE: The car was ready and waiting on Thursday as promised. They were great with explaining everything, I never felt rushed, and they apologized again for the first delivery experience.
I'm absolutely blown away by this car. It's a completely different driving experience from anything I've driven before and was worth the extra hassle and waiting.
Definitely know that Tesla is experiencing a lot of growth and that there are people who have had worse experiences and have waited far longer than I did for their 3s, so I want to state that myself.
I'll post separately about the car itself as I read on the forums!

Congrats on finally picking up your 3. And I thought waiting 2 hours when I arrive at my appointment time in Fremont was bad.

Enjoy your car. Looking forward to your experience post.

My advice is: Don't settle. You can be flexible and take a car with a different VIN if your lender can be flexible. But don't agree to a different configuration. I took delivery on Sept 30 in Rocklin, and after waiting 3 hours for a home delivery that didn't happen, I found out that the car with my VIN was still in Fremont. The SC matched me with the color and options I ordered, except for the wheels. They promised to place an order for the 19" wheels I configured (and paid for). 5 weeks later, Tesla refunded my overpayment and I'm still stuck with the Aeros. I regret not waiting for my exact configuration.

The SC manager sent an email 3 weeks ago confirming that the wheels were ordered, but then I received a follow up call from someone else who said they had no record of an order. When I told her that I received a refund and didn't want to pay the after market cost to upgrade the wheels, she said "Deposit the check. We'll make this right at no charge." One week later, and I'm hearing crickets. Frankly, I'd rather have the wheels and Tesla can have the money.

My next step is to drive to the SC and stay until I have the wheels. I'm not unreasonable when I'm kept informed. But after 3 failed delivery attempts, an 11th inning equipment swap with a concession on my end, and then a run around for parts that roll out of their factory every minute, I'm losing my patience.

They definitely have a major communication problem at multiple locations. I agree that if they'd communicate, patience would be warranted, but when they just don't seem to be able to follow up or follow through, you have to be firm and uncompromising to get things done!
Hope you ended up with the wheels you ordered! They should let you keep the aero wheels as a gift!

They definitely have a major communication problem at multiple locations. I agree that if they'd communicate, patience would be warranted, but when they just don't seem to be able to follow up or follow through, you have to be firm and uncompromising to get things done!
Hope you ended up with the wheels you ordered! They should let you keep the aero wheels as a gift!
I didn't want the aero wheels, but the upgraded 19" ones were indeed a hard-earned gift!

Note to self: avoid delivery at Fremont

We picked our Model 3 up during the September rush at the Fremont Delivery Center and didn’t think it was bad. It was a very nice, comfortable location. Sure there were a lot of people picking up cars—probably over 100 each day, so there were people walking around looking at cars in the lot in front and standing and sitting in the large reception area. I wouldn’t describe it as packed while we were there and spacing out appointments helped keep some normalcy. When you walk in you check in at the desk and get assigned a DA and when it’s your time you’ll get paged and meet up front and go on from there. Despite how crazy Sept rush was we found everyone very pleasant and helpful and found the Guest Tesla owners there helpful getting our cellphone set up hooked up for our phones. Not sure if they are still there at delivery centers routinely still but imagine in December they will be a welcome sight again. Can’t imagine Elon and Tesla not welcoming their help again.

Some people were also checking out the Tesla t-shirts and jackets in their small merchandise section (had meant to point out a few to my husband but then our DA was with us and forgot before we left with our car). They had coffee and snacks provided although since our appointment was for 10:30am we had just had breakfast in Milpitas before heading over. I do think if you get an earlier appointment your wait may be less. Think wait time will depend on how much time previous owners take looking over their cars. I’m guessing but I think they try to plan for maybe 15-20 minutes before proceeding with your DA and the paperwork portion. We took our time looking over the car inside and out and going over with our DA a few items for our due bill. At one point our DA did say that we were welcome to spend more time with it but it might set us back getting to the paperwork and we could always send him any other concerns we had after getting it home (3 day window I believe). We had looked it over pretty thoroughly by that point so wanted to get to our paperwork and drive home.