Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont will be shut down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's excuse for not closing is bogus and the height of arrogance. Let's see Ms. Workman stand in front of a county judge and explain why she thinks the county order is not clear and there is something from the state or feds that override it. Nice try.

If they won't close right away the county needs to make an example of Tesla. Who do they think they are?

It's the height of dumb to pick up any Tesla right now anyway. Wait a handful of months when the shiat has really hit the fan and Tesla will be begging for sales. Likely major incentives. At the very least, probably lifetime free supercharging on the 3 and Y. Not to mention maybe 0% loan offers.
Could be interesting. No doubt there are numerous people with deposits that lost their jobs recently. I read that 50,000 new unemployment claims were file in Pennsylvania just on Monday alone.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Burrito
They already reached a compromise with the county. They can remain operational with 1/4 the employees.
Does anyone else question the fairness of this? My cousin's husband runs a small plant in Oakland that manufacturers medical equipment (having nothing to do with the virus) and they were forced to shut down and lay off nearly 90 people. They will all eventually get their jobs back, but why would Tesla get special treatment? Given the nature of the facility I understand they may need to keep a skeleton crew on, but that's not 2500 people. And obviously at this point you are not going to find a group of 2500 people where at least several of them are infected. People in the Bay Area are getting word about this and are up in arms.

Reactions: davedavedave
I was at the Mitsubishi dealer yesterday picking up my car that went in for repair AFTER the Shelter in Place order. They told me that car repairs were considered Essential. That means that when they couldn't figure out how to fix my key programming issue they needed Mitsubishi to be there to answer their call. They did put plastic on the wheel and seat and floor and we did wipe with disinfectant afterward.

So I guess the same with Tesla if their SvC's are open there needs to be someone at the factory getting them the parts and advice they need to do their work.

The goal is to prevent person to person contact for 3 weeks so that we can get ahead of the virus. Anyone who is sick may infect their housemates but it stops there. When the order is lifted we all come out healthy. Sadly, we cannot do this w/o being able to get food and prescriptions, and by extension, our cars have to be fixed so we can travel.

So, YES, I think it is fair to allow a minimum of people to go to work to sell us pot, and make sure we can download videos, and keep other important services going while we try to shake this bug. Of course, all the bad press Tesla is making will not help their public image.

But really, the problem with posting messages saying we are going to be fine is that kids go hang out with their friends and now we have new infections that the rest of us are sitting home, trying to keep from spreading. These infections won't have run their course by the time the order has lifted. Then all those people go back to hanging out in bars and the whole thing was a waste.

Everyone needs to be cautious with what they touch and stay at home so we can get our new cases down the zero as they did in China.

Last edited:
It's the height of dumb to pick up any Tesla right now anyway. Wait a handful of months when the shiat has really hit the fan and Tesla will be begging for sales. Likely major incentives. At the very least, probably lifetime free supercharging on the 3 and Y. Not to mention maybe 0% loan offers.

I’m waiting to see what the stock does. If it goes real low, I’m gonna use some of my down payment money to buy some...

Reactions: Mr. Burrito
Total arrogance!

Tesla considers its production “a national critical infrastructure” and “essential Employees” include all “production, service and deliveries, testing and supporting groups.

Here's an example of the right move:
Hyundai shuts down Montgomery production plant after employee tests positive for COVID-19

Is Elon so out of touch that he does not understand it's a certainty at this point that at least several of the 2500 in Fremont are infected? Very disheartened to see his response to a national (if not worldwide) emergency.

It seems to me that there are many subtle distinctions being made worldwide, not just Alameda County. Judging what is essential is always fraught when some will say being open is irresponsible while others will say not closing is irresponsible. I will not judge; I haven't enough facts on which to base a judgement.

Most people understand that closing factories is convenient if sales have tanked. Most businesses that provide their products and/or services remotely seem somehow to keep operations going, despite quite serious potential risk issues.

From Australia to the USA Tesla has figured out how to do contactless deliveries, home deliveries and remote servicing for the most part. Further, it is quite easy to sanitize charging at a Supercharger, not quite so easy a gasoline dispenser. None of that is production, but Tesla does have some arguments that Tesla is less risky than are ICE. They also have the GF-3 experience of operating in a high COVID-19 risk environment.

Of course it is much easier to say BAD or GOOD and ignore all the subtle issues. What about employees? Are they better off unemployed? Is it safe to operate?

I am now directly aware of three countries management process in this epidemic. None of the three seem to have been handling this as well as have South Korea and China. In the meantime I am opinionated but ill-informed factually. It seems that that is the situation for most decision makers. What does 'essential' mean?

Total arrogance!

Tesla considers its production “a national critical infrastructure” and “essential Employees” include all “production, service and deliveries, testing and supporting groups.

Hyundai shuts down Montgomery production plant after employee tests positive for COVID-19

Is Elon so out of touch that he does not understand it's a certainty at this point that at least several of the 2500 in Fremont are infected? Very disheartened to see his response to a national (if not worldwide) emergency.
All this concern about COVID-19 spreading out of control is overblown. As Elon says, we know that exponential growth cannot continue forever otherwise COVID-19 would exceed the mass of the known universe. He is very wise.

It seems to me that there are many subtle distinctions being made worldwide, not just Alameda County. Judging what is essential is always fraught when some will say being open is irresponsible while others will say not closing is irresponsible. I will not judge; I haven't enough facts on which to base a judgement.

Most people understand that closing factories is convenient if sales have tanked. Most businesses that provide their products and/or services remotely seem somehow to keep operations going, despite quite serious potential risk issues.

From Australia to the USA Tesla has figured out how to do contactless deliveries, home deliveries and remote servicing for the most part. Further, it is quite easy to sanitize charging at a Supercharger, not quite so easy a gasoline dispenser. None of that is production, but Tesla does have some arguments that Tesla is less risky than are ICE. They also have the GF-3 experience of operating in a high COVID-19 risk environment.

Of course it is much easier to say BAD or GOOD and ignore all the subtle issues. What about employees? Are they better off unemployed? Is it safe to operate?

I am now directly aware of three countries management process in this epidemic. None of the three seem to have been handling this as well as have South Korea and China. In the meantime I am opinionated but ill-informed factually. It seems that that is the situation for most decision makers. What does 'essential' mean?

Well said, nuance is important. Businesses everywhere are having to figure out where the line is between staying in/going out of business, protecting employees health, keeping people employed (or not), etc...and its not easy. A lot of difficult decisions being made this week.

Total arrogance!

Nah who is ignorant is all the lemmings spreading fear and destroying our economy. I bet the deaths of this thing won't exceed the normal YEARLY deaths of the flu.

I would be saying the same thing to all these pansies if I owned a factory thats contributing way more good that will never be quantifiable and save an uncountable number of lives in the long term.

The destruction of our economy is way more of a threat than a couple hundred thousand people dying.

Nah who is ignorant is all the lemmings spreading fear and destroying our economy. I bet the deaths of this thing won't exceed the normal YEARLY deaths of the flu.

I would be saying the same thing to all these pansies if I owned a factory thats contributing way more good that will never be quantifiable and save an uncountable number of lives in the long term.

The destruction of our economy is way more of a threat than a couple hundred thousand people dying.

Yes, because we all know $$$$ is so much more important than a few lives. /s

How are you estimating that only a couple hundred thousand people would die? I assume you mean without social distancing, shelter in place, and business shutdowns.

Yes CDC estimates of 100k-1.2M deaths if there was no action taken.
Yes, because we all know $$$$ is so much more important than a few lives. /s

lol people really dont get it...what do you think will happen when the economy dies. You think well all get together and sing? Your neighbor well be coming over to murder you for a can of food.

Also where were you two weeks ago caring about the 100's of thousands of preventable deaths that happen each year that you have a direct ability to stop?

Humans are so hypocritical and irrational its pathetic.

Reactions: user212_nr