Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont will be shut down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends upon what you consider “out of control”. What we label as normal flu kills 12,000 to 65,000 Americans per year while, to-date, CV has killed 85 Americans this year. The data clearly shows flu is more “out of control”. In addition, the CDC currently believes CV to have only a slightly higher mortality rate than the flu but admits it may have a much lower mortality rate since we don’t know how many unreported cases exist. We won’t have a good handle on this until the CV test kits are readily available.

All of this info is available here: Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu.

I believe we are in this state of panic because this disease is new and poorly understood. And let’s not overlook the media’s part in all this. We’re getting breathless updates, alerts, and notices every hour. If this happened every time someone died from the flu they’d have no time to report on anything else.
Very scary and amazing to hear people still making arguments like this.

This is exactly what happened in Italy. 10 days ago many people were not taking the warnings seriously. Look at where they are now. Hospitals are overwhelmed, and doctors are having to make decisions between who lives and dies. Italy is not some third world country.

Watch this...these Italians are pleading with people like you not to be make the same mistake they did.

Posting yesterday's news (and no update from this morning) is not helpful. Can you find a reliable source that TODAY confirms the plant is still open?

I think Elon's making a PR nightmare of this. Everyone (every person, every business of any size or nature) is in the same boat. Shut the factory and let employees shelter in their homes.

Does anyone else make cars in California?

It probably seemed like a genius move at the time.

They are not doing it for you. Many businesses simply cannot continue to exist for a protracted shutdown. I don't think Tesla is in that position, but it depends on how long the shutdown lasts.
The recent capital infusion helps a lot. Run the numbers. Tesla could easily survive a 90 day plant shutdown, but it would not be pretty to be a shareholder.

Reactions: Electric Steve

This is exactly what happened in Italy. 10 days ago many people were not taking the warnings seriously. Look at where they are now. Hospitals are overwhelmed, and doctors are having to make decisions between who lives and dies. Italy is not some third world country.

Watch this...these Italians are pleading with people like you not to be make the same mistake they did.

Two sides to every story. That video is what you call an "emotional appeal". There are no facts, just people worrying.

COVID-19 in the U.S.: Doomsday numbers just don’t add up

Let’s back up a second. China has a population of 1,437,722,468 as of Tuesday, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

COVID-19 was born there (ah, bat eaters), with the first case being diagnosed on Dec. 1.

On Tuesday, there were 81,054 confirmed cases of the virus, according to Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

Of those, 68,798 recovered, while 3,230 people died (the remainder were still active cases).

So that means the infection rate in China was just .006%. How, then, are the “experts” forecasting that well more than 50% of the 320 million people in America — where people already wash their hands incessantly and use Purell nonstop — will be infected?

Last edited:

@user212_nr is right — you’re just posting emotional stories. That’s what’s known as fear mongering and isn’t helpful when we’re trying to deal with a pandemic. It’s also useful to point out the definition of “pandemic” is simply any disease that spreads globally. It does not imply that it’s killing everyone. I know its a lot to ask, but if people reacted rationally, instead of emotionally, we wouldn’t be running low on toilet paper (of all things!).

Reactions: computerchuck
The sheriff isn't the authority on this. Also the Alameda sheriff is kind of a character. There is a Job Oliver video on him - watch his one on sheriff's.
what are you talking about? The Sheriff as full authority on this situation. If people don't listen to the shelter in place order, you can be cited for failure to obey an lawful order, a misdemeanor (California H&S 120295)

Two sides to every story. That video is what you call an "emotional appeal". There are no facts, just people worrying.

COVID-19 in the U.S.: Doomsday numbers just don’t add up
Want facts? I certainly would not rely on the Chinese. 3 weeks ago in Italy there had been 7 deaths. Now there's more than 2500 dead, and another 2500 seriously or critically ill. The healthcare system is overwhelmed and people who can't get care for other illnesses are dying because of it.

2 weeks ago most Italians had your attitude toward the situation. Now they know better.

One of my best friends lives there. Their desire is that we don't repeat their mistakes. Despite all the containment efforts, 10 days from now you are going to be absolutely shocked what the numbers in the U.S are despite all the containment efforts.

Thank God most Americans are taking heed and are starting to comprehend what's coming. Unfortunately some of us just can't get our heads around it as it sounds incomprehensible.

And you response to posting an "emotional appeal" is to post an opinion piece from a [checks notes] political writer....?

Here is some data that shows the progression in Italy vs the US:

ccdb403d-1171-444b-bfae-693b3ece4b8f_1920x1080.jpg

As of today (18th), per the Johns Hopkins site, we are at 7,323 infections, so slightly ahead of Italy at the same point in time.

He could certainly challenge the order in court but good luck with that in the state of California. Hopefully his legal counsel is making that clear to him.

On top of that can you imagine all the negative PR (profits over people) that would result.

But most of all it's time for Elon to fully understand why our governments are making the unprecedented moves they are. Let's not make the same mistakes that were made in Italy. Was talking to one of my friends that lives there this morning and was explaining the hospitals are so overwhelmed that someone who had a heart attack last night died because he was unable to get healthcare. Doctors are being forced to make gut wrenching decisions about who lives and who dies. Some people here being more worried about getting their car assembled is really disgusting. Time to wake up.

I want my Y, but not at the expense of lives. I like that Elon told his people they didn't have to come in, but many healthy individuals are asymptomatic carriers. I'm an NP, and while I am quite healthy, I am a potential source of infection and its spread. Medical providers have to make life and death decisions every day. It's called triage. Someone made a bad decision in Italy last night. It's a horrible burden. I have friends and family in northern Italy and I worry about them a lot. The reactions of some Americans scare the crap out of me because there are so many idiots out in crowds fighting over toilet paper and spreading the disease. If you run out of TP clean your butt in the shower!!!

@user212_nr is right — you’re just posting emotional stories. That’s what’s known as fear mongering and isn’t helpful when we’re trying to deal with a pandemic. It’s also useful to point out the definition of “pandemic” is simply any disease that spreads globally. It does not imply that it’s killing everyone. I know its a lot to ask, but if people reacted rationally, instead of emotionally, we wouldn’t be running low on toilet paper (of all things!).
No one ever said this is going to kill everyone. Please.

And relaying the experience Italy is having is not fear mongering...it's supposed to be a learning moment. If you were in Italy right now you would be mortified what's happening, and I guarantee you your attitude would be far different.

I don't understand the toilet paper thing either, but the goal is to slow the spread rate down to the point out healthcare system can deal with it. People are going to continue to die; there is no stopping it now. But there are thousands of other Americans that can be saved if this gets managed to the point the healthcare system is not overwhelmed.

Those who think the government restrictions are for political gain are misguided. You think the people who have instituted these measures have helped their popularity? Be thankful we have some leaders who are acting rationally versus the lack of urgency we were seeing 2 and 3 weeks ago.

When I visited my Great Grandfather years ago, although they had installed indoor plumbing for him, he still (after 80 years) preferred the standalone sanitary facility 40 paces from the back porch. He had a Sears catalog, a can with some red and some white corncobs in there.
(Also had an old axe handle leaning against the outside. I asked him about that, and he said it was to rattle the joint and see if there were any yellowjackets in residence).
So he wouldn't be too inconvenienced by the lack of Charmin.

I would give my front seat in Hell to be able to give him a ride in my Teslas today.

I know its a lot to ask, but if people reacted rationally, instead of emotionally, we wouldn’t be running low on toilet paper (of all things!).

I'd encourage folks to not conflate an irrational run on TP with the objectively rational precautionary steps various municipalities have taken, such as the shelter-in-place we have in the Bay Area.

Those who think the government restrictions are for political gain are misguided. You think the people who have instituted these measures have helped their popularity? Be thankful we have some leaders who are acting rationally versus the lack of urgency we were seeing 2 and 3 weeks ago.
I disagree. Many politicians do not want us to be in Italy's situation. That would be very bad for their reelection. :p
If the health care system breaks down that is not going to be popular with voters!

Does anyone else make cars in California?

It probably seemed like a genius move at the time.

Purchasing an almost new existing auto plant was indeed a fortuitous as well as a genius move. Where else would he have been able to get rolling so quickly? I understand the Packard plant in Detroit was and still is available, although it is a bit more of a fixer-upper.

Weather is certainly a lot more conducive to manufacturing in California.