Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent "Park Assist disabled", now being blamed on OBDII port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Park assist disabled message show up randomly but frequently and have been to service three times for this (car has been with them for a month now) and all times they have claimed to fix it, I found the error to show up even before I drove off the lot!

This time they just sent a message saying my car is ready but are blaming it on the OBDII device I have that is required by Metromile for Per-mile insurance

This is their summary
"Found vehicle has an aftermarket OBD2 device that interferes with the park assist system. For system to operate properly device should not be installed. "

I dont buy this, the error started showing up in the last few months. I've had the Metromile OBDII device since day one and have not had any issues. This seems like a cop-out rather than a genuine attempt to fix anything.

I swear if I see it again without the device plugged in, I'm gonna lose it. Anyone here having Parking assist disabled error or have had any issues with OBDII device for per-mile insurance?

This is total BS. I had Metromile and they blamed the OBDII device for a problem I was having as well. I switched insurance and the problem persisted. You can get an adapter to run the OBDII device from an alternate 12v source like the accessory port directly from Metromile to prove it’s not the device. Metromile will also let you run without the device for up to a month to test Tesla’s BS idea. Good luck!

We have only been able to use Autopark a few times in the 11 months / 25,000 miles we have had the Model S. That number could be counted on one hand. Add to that a few more times when we have pulled up to a red light that the "P" showed up. My wife is really uncomfortable backing up and wishes that the Autopark feature works, but alas it does not, except on very rare occasions.

However, in all this time we have never gotten a "Parking Assist Disabled" message. Also, nothing is plugged into our OBDII port.

We have only been able to use Autopark a few times in the 11 months / 25,000 miles we have had the Model S. That number could be counted on one hand. Add to that a few more times when we have pulled up to a red light that the "P" showed up. My wife is really uncomfortable backing up and wishes that the Autopark feature works, but alas it does not, except on very rare occasions.

However, in all this time we have never gotten a "Parking Assist Disabled" message. Also, nothing is plugged into our OBDII port.

No its a much bigger problem because it disables the proximity sensors in the front and back and not just auto-park. If it was just auto-park I wouldnt give a darn but the sensors are really critical for me to park in my tight garage.

This is total BS. I had Metromile and they blamed the OBDII device for a problem I was having as well. I switched insurance and the problem persisted. You can get an adapter to run the OBDII device from an alternate 12v source like the accessory port directly from Metromile to prove it’s not the device. Metromile will also let you run without the device for up to a month to test Tesla’s BS idea. Good luck!

This is good to know, I'm going to pick up the car today and give Metromile a call. Honestly I really hope the error shows up as soon as I sit in the car before driving out so I can call them out right then and there.

So, 'excessive' power draw will kill the parking sensors or something? WTF? In ANY case, does it really work if you remove it?

Because the only thing that does anything in the OBD, is power.

Its almost like they had a cut off date on trying to figure this out and then "ah yes third party accessory is connected lets just give the car back!"

Whats next third party phone holders disabling auto-pilot? Maybe they will start blame DU failures on replacement tires!

Serious question, what's our recourse when the SC pulls stuff like this? Do we ask for the service manager, like in the 'old days' lol...? There has to be some way to get someone to 'explain' it besides them blaming Fremont, right? Right?!

I was told once leaving a car plugged in too long is bad. When that's actually in the manual as a good thing. Argggggg!

Ok fortunately or unfortunately they seem to have something here. I did speak to a tech again after picking up the car and he believes the frequencies at which the adapter work are hindering with the checks on one of the sensor modules which ends up disabling it.

I did try it with and without the system installed. Without the OBD adapter, I have not seen the error at all

Plugged in though, on two different days, I plugged it in and went on my way, sometime during the day, I saw the error show up.

So I guess metromile OBD adapter is definitely not "compatible" with the Model S in its current form. I have to call them to find out what the other options are. My concern is if its frequency related and not power related, the CL adapter should end up showing the same issues which would essentially mean Metromile is a no-go.

But i dont want to jump to conclusions beyond the ones I've made. As it stands, it does seem like they had good enough reason to blame the OBD adapter from Metromile and I am not seeing the issue when the unit is not plugged in.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Ok fortunately or unfortunately they seem to have something here. I did speak to a tech again after picking up the car and he believes the frequencies at which the adapter work are hindering with the checks on one of the sensor modules which ends up disabling it.

I did try it with and without the system installed. Without the OBD adapter, I have not seen the error at all

Plugged in though, on two different days, I plugged it in and went on my way, sometime during the day, I saw the error show up.

So I guess metromile OBD adapter is definitely not "compatible" with the Model S in its current form. I have to call them to find out what the other options are. My concern is if its frequency related and not power related, the CL adapter should end up showing the same issues which would essentially mean Metromile is a no-go.

But i dont want to jump to conclusions beyond the ones I've made. As it stands, it does seem like they had good enough reason to blame the OBD adapter from Metromile and I am not seeing the issue when the unit is not plugged in.
Right, but it's not 'something uses the OBD power and you are SOL'. It's something about the signal it gives off. That's a 100% different answer. People have used it for years as a dashcam and other accessory power source, after all.

Right, but it's not 'something uses the OBD power and you are SOL'. It's something about the signal it gives off. That's a 100% different answer. People have used it for years as a dashcam and other accessory power source, after all.

Indeed, it does seem to be more specific to the communication methods used by Metromile although I am not sure why that would "disable" the Park assist as such. Metromile has suggested trying a replacement device just to make sure. I will post updates once I get a new device and test it out

Did the CL adapter solve your problem? I think I am having the same problem with Metromile in my Model X. "Park Assist Disabled" randomly appears and then goes away. I've unplugged from OBD for the past 3 days and have not seen it.

I'm thinking that if I get the CL version, I'd plug it into the trunk CL port to keep it away from the front of the car, but curious to hear what worked for you.

I’ve had the CL version for months and haven’t had the parking assist issue since.

I keep it plugged in in my trunk because I need the CL in front for other things, but it’s annoying because it sticks out enough to
  1. Have to unplug it to fully access the storage area below the trunk
  2. Get in the way of loading and unloading things in the trunk