Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend crashed model 3 and they think due to foot obstruction (maybe)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I agree and as I said it is very likely they panicked and stepped on it. However I did NOT sign up for friend, I've been on these forums for some time. Since both my wife and I have a 3, I was curious to see if anyone had heard of anything close
You know your join date is visible, right? You’re still welcome to be here obviously but, like others, almost certainly your “friend” pressed accelerator. Outside of Europe and Turo like agencies there’s no known rental agency that rents 3s. It’s ok to be honest that you crashed your car. You wouldn’t be the first.

Reactions: Avid
While unusual, not entirely unheard of in the wilds of California. My wrap/tint shop just upgraded their loaner from an electric Fiat to a Model 3.

Our Loaner Fleet

Thats informative, especially since we dont know what "the shop" was. I still think it would be pretty strange to give someone an EV loaner if they didnt roll up in an EV, since we are still somewhat in the "early adoption" phase. Unless you rolled up in an EV a shop would have no guarantee that you were familiar with, and on board with charging etc. That doesnt count questions about accessing superchargers etc...

shrug.

Anyway thats not the question here either, thanks for the info @Az_Rael

Thats informative, especially since we dont know what "the shop" was. I still think it would be pretty strange to give someone an EV loaner if they didnt roll up in an EV, since we are still somewhat in the "early adoption" phase. Unless you rolled up in an EV a shop would have no guarantee that you were familiar with, and on board with charging etc. That doesnt count questions about accessing superchargers etc...

shrug.

Anyway thats not the question here either, thanks for the info @Az_Rael

Honestly, pointing out the .00001 of shop(s) (probably singular) that would do this is not representative that this actually a thing.

If I were loaning out a Model 3 to a newb, I'd put it in valet mode. All of these unintended accels seem to happen to people who haven't yet gotten used to the different feel of the Model 3's regen one-foot braking.

Honestly, pointing out the .00001 of shop(s) (probably singular) that would do this is not representative that this actually a thing.

Certainly not a thing at all, and if the OP was located in So Cal I would assume the "shop" involved was my tint guy's shop. Just because it is so unusual. They are Tesla owners and EV enthusiasts, hence the EV loaners (at least the Model 3 will go farther than the Fiat they used to have would). They are also a high end shop and price accordingly. I just figure in Northern California there might be a similar pro-EV high end shop that does the same.

Maybe the OP will produce some photos from their friend.

Reactions: MXWing
70 could be right, the chill mode? Not so sure about that. Again 70 to valet?
Speed limit Mode is 50 mph

Chill mode has no max speed, but uses a slower acceleration profile. Valet mode and speed limit mode both use this slower acceleration profile. Exactly same as chill, I’m not sure but feels very close.

Max speed in Speed limit mode is user selectable in a range from 50-90. Just confirmed in the app.

I’ll have to look at valet again. It’s slower acceleration, some max speed, and frunk/glovebox disabled.

I find it amazing that everyone with these questionable stories claim it never happened to them but to a friend, or someone they know.
Also find it interesting that someone who never drove an EV gets a Tesla loaner and wrecks it because they obviously do not know how to drive one.
This tale is either FUD in trying to blame the car, or it it's purely and solely driver error and incompetence.

• Love
Reactions: Joshan
Presumably this would mean in the event of some serious failure the pedal would go to the floor, so it would be rather obvious?
I'm not sure. I've never heard of ABS failing other than it detecting a fault and turning itself off. I think that engineers are very careful to make sure it doesn't have a bad failure mode! Anyway in all these unintended acceleration cases people say the brake pedal was pressed all the way to the floor (because they were actually hitting the accelerator).

I'm not sure. I've never heard of ABS failing other than it detecting a fault and turning itself off. I think that engineers are very careful to make sure it doesn't have a bad failure mode! Anyway in all these unintended acceleration cases people say the brake pedal was pressed all the way to the floor (because they were actually hitting the accelerator).

When you feel a car is moving forward and you don’t want it to, I feel the natural human reaction is to immediately move your foot left and stomp on the OTHER pedal.

I remember as a brand new driver being scared when even the ICE creep being intimidating.

The safe place was the brake.

It still should be the safe place for everyone from just pure muscle memory.